©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Unexpected bench competition.

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
So I went into the gym this past Saturday to train legs and holy crap it was packed.

Walked into an annual bench press competition that was about to get started for charity. They do it every year.....and I did it about 2 years ago to help raise money. At that time, I was probably around 215lbs if I remember correctly....and I had beentraining with a Wendler Split routine and used to low reps and max attempts.

Gym owner talked me into entering....I made the 198lb class although I was the one of the lighter guys in that class when I weighed in. (192lbs).

Didn't expect this and really hadn't been training for it. I've switched my training up awhile back....focusing more on hypertrophy and higher reps....so I figured I wouldn't be able to do too much. But it was for a good cause.

I hit 365 on my 1st attempt, 385 on my second, and 395 on my third....but that one I had to grind and didn't think I would lock it out....but made it.

Crazy huh?

3c727faebbf04bb22d94f1d66e158d19.jpg
78981f584846a00378f2e7a4e0f657c8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Congrats! That's great considering it was impromptu and you weren't training for it.

montego

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2018
Great job!

Bringing home the gold plated plastic! Lol

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
Great job!

Bringing home the gold plated plastic! Lol
Yeah......only plastic awards I have are from these types of competitions. Never done any bodybuilding shows.

But they raised almost $30k towards a good cause!

kevin666

Donating Member
Feb 11, 2018
Awesome especially since you were mentally prepared for those heavy squats, not to bench or prepared to bench that day.

montego

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah......only plastic awards I have are from these types of competitions. Never done any bodybuilding shows.

But they raised almost $30k towards a good cause!

Well, what it's made out of doesn't matter. You did great.

Hope my post didn't come off dickish lol. Was meant in good fun.

Hiasdamoon

Donating Member
Dec 6, 2017
So I went into the gym this past Saturday to train legs and holy crap it was packed.

My visual picture is you walking in wearing jeans and boots and out lifting a few guys that worked out all winter for this charity event. At least 1 soccer dad with a headband was pissed you showed up!! I know it probably didn't happen that way, but the visual is comical to me. Congrats on the hardware and for raising money for charity!!

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
Well, what it's made out of doesn't matter. You did great.

Hope my post didn't come off dickish lol. Was meant in good fun.
No...not at all. We had a son born with a terminal illness years ago. St. Judes was a big part of our life. We support them every year.

I could care less about the trophy.....it's already in my wife's office collecting dust!

There are guys out there that put a lot more effort than what I did to win a trophy. I couldn't imagine being on a strict diet for 12+ weeks for a bodybuilding comp.

That's dedication right there!

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
My visual picture is you walking in wearing jeans and boots and out lifting a few guys that worked out all winter for this charity event. At least 1 soccer dad with a headband was pissed you showed up!! I know it probably didn't happen that way, but the visual is comical to me. Congrats on the hardware and for raising money for charity!!
Its actually not too far off. I'm the type that stays covered up most of the time I'm in the gym....or pretty much anywhere.

There were some "hardcore" guys in there wearing shirts two sizes too small....and one guy even hitting smelling salts. And they were struggling with 3 plates. I never took my hoody off.

But there was one teenager there who really impressed me. 148lbs....and hit 335lbs on his final lift very cleanly!

If he's smart....he has a bright future!

angus62

Oct 25, 2012
Nice job! Good to see they are still doing that because its for a good cause. My old training partner helped with it and he still may be doing it if its still the same one they do at the Nautilus gym. Did they use touch and go or a comp pause? Funny that you said guys broke out bench shirts for a charity bench meet.

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
Nice job! Good to see they are still doing that because its for a good cause. My old training partner helped with it and he still may be doing it if its still the same one they do at the Nautilus gym. Did they use touch and go or a comp pause? Funny that you said guys broke out bench shirts for a charity bench meet.

Nautilus sponsored it....but it was at one of these Anytime Fitness gyms. They said pause...but most of it the touch and go and they green lighted.

Not to misinterpret.....they didn't have bench shirts...but just normal shirts that were way to small to be wearing. But I did see the one guy hitting the smelling salts.

I think Nautilus across the country does this around the same time each year. I would love to see how much money they raised totally.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
That is awesome. Most people wouldn't have had the guts to jump in and enter without any notice or preparation. You should be real proud of yourself rmtt.

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
That is awesome. Most people wouldn't have had the guts to jump in and enter without any notice or preparation. You should be real proud of yourself rmtt.
Honestly didn't think anything about it. I'm a small fish in a big pond. There were some heavyweights there tossing some real iron around.

I just got lucky. It's odd how weight classes stack up. The 181's in these types of competitions are usually stronger than the 198's.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
That is great. I am not going to lie I would be made up with that trophy :p Good story and it was for a great cause so a win win situation.