©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Gym Etiquette

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
5 Rules of Gym Etiquette
Learn how not to wear out your welcome
by Kristopher Kaiyala
Everyone's been the victim of Bad Gym Guy. You know the one, the smelly, sweaty, chatty health club member who spreads his body filth all over the locker room and exercise equipment, with nary a care for those around him. Bad Gym Guy cuts in line, slams the weights, talks loudly on his cell phone, and seems generally oblivious to the world around him. Here's our advice if you want to avoid him: don't be him.

Gyms are social gathering places just like malls, coffee shops, and work places. Basic rules of group politeness apply even if the club lured you into thinking it was there to cater to your every need.

So, what are the basic rules of gym etiquette? We enlisted the help of Chicago's posh Lakeshore Athletic Clubs for the answers. Athletic director Diana Hoffman and head trainer Nancy Parks boast a combined total of more than 20 years in the fitness profession. They know Bad Gym Guy when they see him. Here are their tips to help you avoid becoming the fitness-club pariah.

1. Be quiet. Cell phone use on the fitness floor is a definite no-no. No one wants to be party to your personal conversations; they distract from the mental focus everyone needs to achieve their fitness goals. "Also, if you are participating in a group exercise class, don't talk in the back of the studio. It's unfair to others participating in the class," says Hoffman. You're an adult. Don't act like a grade schooler.

advertisement

2. Clean off the machines. You don't want to sit in someone else's sweat, so why make them sit in yours? "After using any type of equipment at the club, be sure to wipe it off," says Parks. "Covering the seats or benches with a towel beforehand helps to avoid this problem, and it also protects you from germs that can be passed on through other people's sweat."

3. Be careful when handling weights. Few things are more jarring at a gym than the loud clank of dropped dumbbells or barbells. Don't permit the weight stack on any piece of equipment to slam down. "It is disruptive to others training in same area, is potentially damaging to equipment, and can cause injury to the user as it evidences an inability to control whatever weight is being used," says Parks. "Also remember to put weights back when you are done; it's thoughtless to leave them lying around."

4. Share the equipment. If you are circuit training, trade off sets with someone else, that way you can rest while someone else lifts. "If someone is already using a piece of equipment that you want to share, wait until they are done with their set before asking them," says Hoffman. "If you ask them in the middle of a set, they may lose concentration. Even if they do respond, it could interfere with their breathing." Cardio equipment must be shared as well. "Many clubs have time limits for these machines during their peak hours. Be sure to abide by these rules so everyone can benefit from the equipment."

5. Watch your odor."Be sure to clean your workout clothes on a regular basis and don't wear overbearing perfume or cologne," says Hoffman. "Take a shower after your workout as well—you don't want your smell to offend people on your way home too!"

Yuck. We couldn't have said it any better.

W

wolfyEVH

heavy said:
6. Shower once in awhile and wear deoderant!!

7. Dont do bicep curls in the squat rack.

lol...good one....here at my gym we call the squat rack the "fratboy curl rack"

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
heavy said:
6. Shower once in awhile and wear deoderant!!

7. Dont do bicep curls in the squat rack.

Was that you I pissed off last night doing my barbell curls in the squat rack? lol

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
My brother and I call the racket ball guys, "the sweaty nut sack club."
These guys stink

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
i hate the older guys like d.r. that wears the head bands and the nike arm bands and the nut huggin shorts white the all white tennis shoes. they also wear the specs when the play b-ball. lol, just kidding, dont get hurt d.r.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
TexasCreed said:
i hate the older guys like d.r. that wears the head bands and the nike arm bands and the nut huggin shorts white the all white tennis shoes. they also wear the specs when the play b-ball. lol, just kidding, dont get hurt d.r.
Those specs are reading glasses. You're a very funny guy today.

W

wolfyEVH

TexasCreed said:

lol.....the hot pink nut huggin shorts w/ the neon green tshirt w/ the sleeves cut off, and its cut so it only comes down to like 3 inches over the belly button...lol

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
wolfyEVH said:
lol.....the hot pink nut huggin shorts w/ the neon green tshirt w/ the sleeves cut off, and its cut so it only comes down to like 3 inches over the belly button...lol
I perfected that look. When you have guns like mine, you wear what you want.

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
i think your the comedian ol'e man. j/k. there is a guy that comes in wearing black tights with dark purple wind shorts and a purper tanktop. and his wind breaker jacket is black with a pink and light green stripe on either side. i on the other hand like to wear our old middle school basketball shorts. talk about nuthuggers. lol

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
DR, dont you hate these young kids that wear their sweat pants half way down their ass crack? They can barely workout, let alone walk! :D

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
i know what your talking about, then they take off their short and im wondering what the fuck, noone wants to see your whitey titeys

W

wolfyEVH

i hate those pricks tryin to give you advice like you don't know what you're doing....

"you know you should do those lat pulldowns BEHIND your neck"....lol... yeah right buddy!!!

then EVERY gym has got the guy who does nothing but bench press and curls, like every other day. After a few months he's still doin the same exercises w/ the same weight.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
tee said:
DR, dont you hate these young kids that wear their sweat pants half way down their ass crack? They can barely workout, let alone walk! :D
Amen. Then they have the nerve to have attitude like they're tough or something. I'm thinking, did you look in a mirror before you left your house today? Did you not see how stupid you look?

Tee, your new avatar is impressive.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
DragonRider said:
Tee, your new avatar is impressive.

Thanks, its the wife. She said I should have her on there for awhile instead of my old dog.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
tee said:
Thanks, its the wife. She said I should have her on there for awhile instead of my old dog.
If you are serious, you are a very lucky guy. She is smokin' hot sexy and I mean that as a compliment. I mean, I'm not staring at the computer drooling or nothing. Heck, you know what I mean.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
DragonRider said:
If you are serious, you are a very lucky guy. She is smokin' hot sexy and I mean that as a compliment. I mean, I'm not staring at the computer drooling or nothing. Heck, you know what I mean.

Thanks DR, and yes, its her.