©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Time between sets

Oregon Diver

Dec 8, 2004
What is the optimum time between upper body sets?

I do a 60% X 10, 75% X 10, 85% X 8-10, 90% X 4-6, and 95% X 3 routine.

This leaves me sore enough I can only do a muscle group twice a week.

:confused:

BIGSARGE

Oct 18, 2004
Upperbody I Usually Take 30seconds To A Minute And A Half Depending On Intensity.

W

wolfyEVH

I take at least 2 to 3 min rest if i'm doing balls to the walls training such as heavy squats or deads. Like sarge said, it'll depend on the intensity of your workout.

Oregon Diver

Dec 8, 2004
BIGSARGE said:
Upperbody I Usually Take 30seconds To A Minute And A Half Depending On Intensity.

It seems the longer I wait the more reps I can do for the next set. Are you saying after the 1.5 min. you get diminishing returns from the extra reps, or you cool down too much?

I usually take about 45 sec. between them, because I'm afraid of cool down.

W

wolfyEVH

Oregon Diver said:
It seems the longer I wait the more reps I can do for the next set. Are you saying after the 1.5 min. you get diminishing returns from the extra reps, or you cool down too much?

I usually take about 45 sec. between them, because I'm afraid of cool down.

of course u can do more reps because your ATP levels are replenishing with rest...as long as you are still warm and pumped, long breaks are ok. Just don't wait so long where you're cold. A couple minutes will not hurt.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
Oregon Diver said:

I take two minutes between sets and you don't want to work a muscle group more than twice a week. Many bodybuilders work each muscle group once a week.
You grow when you rest, not when you train.
When it comes to bodybuilding, more is not better unless it's more weight.

P

pincrusher

for me personally, large muscles require a longer rest between sets while small muscle groups need a shorter rest time. legs and back i may go as long as 5 minutes between sets especially when going very heavy. arms, shoulders, calves, chest get only about 1 minute between sets.

Big Danny

AnaSCI VET
Sep 21, 2006
Everybody is different. Wait until your pulse is back to normal. It depends on the intensity of your workout. If your breathing after a set is pretty intense of course you will have to wait a bit longer in order to give a 100% in the next one.

kaju

Nov 27, 2007
south
july issue of musclemag international an article reported from Kathy Laucius, ACE, NASM study showed shrter rest between sets increases fat burning with lactic acid.

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
There is no right answer. It depends upon various factors. The above basically covers it all and shows how everyone has a different approach. It is true if you have shorter rest periods (such as 30-60 secs) that promotes fat loss (speeds up your metabolic rate). But at the same time if I am doing heavy squats I can have upto 3 mins rest between sets. I would say a good figure for most exercises is 1-2 mins... but again supersets can be good too.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Oregon Diver said:

depends on training phase and goals but if trying to move heavy iron i like 2-3 minutes between.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Hi Oregon Diver,
I usually take 1 minute time after normal exercise but after tough exercise I increased the time to 2 minutes.
My gym instructor advised me to take at least 1 minute between sets.

For me 1 min just isnt enough, I dont recover enough to be able to use maximum weight for each following set.

hilary

Apr 29, 2008
I take little time between sets. This is because ( beside beying a female:eek: ) I do light weights, and also because I want to keep a high pulse rate and use my wo as a cardio too.