©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

To the guys who use bottle top filters........

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
I just made my first batch with a bottle top filter, formerly used syringe filters, here is my question, how much net solution do you lose through the filtration process? I used a milipore stericup .22 filter, made a 30ml batch(small I know) of deca, containing 9g deca powder, .6ml BA(2%), and the rest GSO 21ml. Since 9g deca diaplaces 8.67 ml, .6 ml BA, I needed 20.8 ml GSO, just went with 21 to call it good. However once I finished filtering, there was only about 25.5 mls of fluid in the media bottle that had been filtered. The top of the filter cup was bone dry, all oil had been filtered. What are you guys seeing for losses with the bottle top setup, is 5ml normal?

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I just made my first batch with a bottle top filter, formerly used syringe filters, here is my question, how much net solution do you lose through the filtration process? I used a milipore stericup .22 filter, made a 30ml batch(small I know) of deca, containing 9g deca powder, .6ml BA(2%), and the rest GSO 21ml. Since 9g deca diaplaces 8.67 ml, .6 ml BA, I needed 20.8 ml GSO, just went with 21 to call it good. However once I finished filtering, there was only about 25.5 mls of fluid in the media bottle that had been filtered. The top of the filter cup was bone dry, all oil had been filtered. What are you guys seeing for losses with the bottle top setup, is 5ml normal?

I use bottle top filters. I havent used the milipore stericups, but ive used zap caps and the nalgene filters. Ive seen a little loss, but not that much. I took one of the nalgene filters and broke it apart. It has tiny little fingers that stand vertical to support the filter material. I think the loss is there. The amount of surface area on all those fingers is huge. Lots of area for the solution to stick to.
Im getting ready to make a small batch, i will get back to you and let you know exactly how much loss i have.