©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Sterile vs non sterile filters

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Going to give glass bottletop filtration a try. Ordered my zapcaps. Doesn't say anything about sterile or nonsterile on website ( I assumed sterile).

Get package and they are nonsterile. I would think as long as my glass bottle is sterile, I am fine.

What's others opinion? Use it or toss it. I am very anal when it comes to this stuff.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I use them with no issue. Like you said, make sure your media bottle is sterile. I slao use the unsterile syringe filters with no issue. I receive them in a bag and i make sure i store them that way. Just use common sense when it comes to environment they are used and stored in. Im surprised your zap caps dont come in a sealed bag? Mine do.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Going to give glass bottletop filtration a try. Ordered my zapcaps. Doesn't say anything about sterile or nonsterile on website ( I assumed sterile).

Get package and they are nonsterile. I would think as long as my glass bottle is sterile, I am fine.

What's others opinion? Use it or toss it. I am very anal when it comes to this stuff.

I dont know how many zap caps you purchased, but if you plan to throw them away, i will take them off your hands.

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
I dont know how many zap caps you purchased, but if you plan to throw them away, i will take them off your hands.

Oh no :). As soon as I pulled them out of the box, I knew something wasn't right. The bags weren't airtight and there's a small circular "air relief" hole in each bag.

How many psi do you normally go to with glass bottles? I've seen up to 25.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Oh no :). As soon as I pulled them out of the box, I knew something wasn't right. The bags weren't airtight and there's a small circular "air relief" hole in each bag.

How many psi do you normally go to with glass bottles? I've seen up to 25.

The glass will hold 25 no problem. But you also have to make sure you dont suck the filter into the bottle. So i wouldnt go over 15. Ive actually pulled 25 on the plastic units. I finally cracked a receiver the third time i did it. So i try to keep it below 15. Honestly, i dont think it filters much faster at 25 anyway. Better safe than sorry.

delcapone

Nov 25, 2012
I too used non sterile .22 filters with no issues. Wen i ordered they were out of sterile ones