©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

ConfirmingThe Viability of Raws

FFighter620

Dec 30, 2012
Ok I have started acquiring glassware and what not. I'm close to getting a source for raws (just need a reference).
Have a few questions before I start.

1. Is the melting point test the most accurate measure most homebrewers can do?
2. What is the chance at having a lab test the powder with no problems?
3. If the supplier has used filler, how is this dealt with during the melt test?
4. Do you just use an oven and a digi thermometer to raise a few degrees at a time?

Keith1569

Feb 9, 2013
Just trust your source.. Brew it up and filter.. Try it

Idk anyone who has actually tried the melting point deal.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
You won't find a lab in USA to test.shits on the hit list for arrest and toss key menu for the law. Melt test work but get a minimal amount and make if you are into that.

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
With experience, you can observe and smell it. You'll begin to notice if something appears "off". Only problem, if your raws are bad, you're pretty much stuck with it. It's not Walmart and you can't just return it.

There are bad raws out there. I've had a few 100gs of bad. Not fun.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Just like oils, research, find a good source, and stick with it.
If you really want to do a melting point test, this is what i reccomend. Trying to do it in an oven is impossible.
Get yourself an infrared temp gun. They range in price, from $45 - $100. I wouldnt by the cheapest one, but you dont need the most expensive. The gun has a laser aimer on it, and a digital window that displays the temp. NOTE, these guns do not work when aimed at anything reflective, or if there is anything reflective around the object you are trying to measure. Take a pinch of powder and place it on a cast iron skillet. I say skillet because its flat black. For instance, you cant put it on a piece of aluminum foil, because its too reflective. Set the skillet on your stove or hot plate. Turn the temp up. Aim the laser on the temp gun at the powder. I think the gun should be about 20" away, it tells you in the instructions. As the temp of the powder rises, so will the readout on the gun. Keep an eye on the powder, when it starts to melt note the temp on the gun.
This is the most accurate way i have come up with to do the test. And i assure you its far more accurate than the other methods ive seen mentioned on the web.
Using this method, you will see your powder melt within 4-5 degrees.

FFighter620

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks guys! These are the answers I was expecting. I figured it was just trial and error. Hopefully I will be brewing up some test and EQ soon

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I've used a small convection oven to prep stuff in, it's very nice for this application, just get a glass mercury lab thermometer and your set... I always try to work with an accurate glass mercury thermo, cause there are too many variables with digi's and for a good one youre looking at $200-$300

A good mercury lab thermo- should only be about $20 and they are very accurate and reliable

Last edited:

FFighter620

Dec 30, 2012
Lol Ironbuilt.. What can I say it's a performance based job. And when good/bad performance is life/death.. Why not I guess. Plus a lot of FF I know are on juice, we're crazy like that.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Lol Ironbuilt.. What can I say it's a performance based job. And when good/bad performance is life/death.. Why not I guess. Plus a lot of FF I know are on juice, we're crazy like that.

I teach BJJ and have met a ton of cops over the years.. So many are juiced up.

I call orals "cop vitamins" cause it seems like they all are doing something

FFighter620

Dec 30, 2012
I really don't see a problem with it. In my opinion cops, military and firefighters it should be ok. When it's you or one of your family members in trouble do you want the jacked up 220 lb. guy or the 140 lb spaghetti arm dude pulling your asses out. just my opinion. Most of the cops I know are on too lol

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Explains the firefighter calendar shoot . It's like miss America . Fake tits win and so do juiced firemen.. Lol. All good with me cause you hopefully on anadrol to be able to carry me down a ladder.

Last edited:

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
There are lots of cops on juice. As long as the person has a "cool" attitude and doesn't let "badass" come out, juice isn't a problem to me.

Pignus

Nov 8, 2012
Ok I have started acquiring glassware and what not. I'm close to getting a source for raws (just need a reference).
Have a few questions before I start.

1. Is the melting point test the most accurate measure most homebrewers can do?
2. What is the chance at having a lab test the powder with no problems?
3. If the supplier has used filler, how is this dealt with during the melt test?
4. Do you just use an oven and a digi thermometer to raise a few degrees at a time?

1. Yes that you can do at home
2. Zero unless you are licensed to possess that class/schedule controlled sub
3. During any melt test the less pure the substance the higher the melting point and greater the range. For example, if a substance has a melting point betwwen 98C and 100C, a less pure sample will have a higher melting point, say 101 to 105 and broader range. However, this would be difficult for you to do accurately on a stove or with a hot plate.
4. You can ball park it that way to see if its even close. There would need to be a large discrepancy between the two for you to have anything substantial to make a determination off of. If something should melt at 220 degrees and it melts at 180 you would know something was wrong.

In a lab we use capillary tubes filled with the substance which is then placed in a digitally controlled heating element that slowly but constantly raises the temperature to a predetermined setting. The substance is viewed under magnification for the first signs of melting and until completion.

BTW a professional lab would use IR- spectroscopy.