©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Can I Avoid Polycythemia while on TRT?

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
By Michael Scally, M.D

Q: Is there any way to avoid Polycythemia when doing TRT? I know that injections are more prone to causing this. I recently switched from shots and am currently doing 25mg T cream and 100iu HCG every day, but I am still getting elevated hematocrit and RBC. It looks like I might need to do a therapeutic phlebotomy twice in the next month for my numbers to come back within the normal range. Is there anything to be concerned about with doing frequent phlebotomies?

A: This is something that is sure to come up with testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). This is an additional reason why I suggest individuals who are on TRT for low normal testosterone come off once every 12-18 months. This not only ensures the functionality of the HPTA but if polycythemia is a problem this will ameliorate or fix it. I was referred a patient who had polycythemia and the referring doctor was unable to stop TRT due to symptoms.

Comparison of transdermal nonscrotal testosterone patch with intramuscular injections of testosterone enanthate observed that 15.4 percent and 43.8 percent of patients, respectively, had at least one documented elevated hematocrit value (defined as over 52 percent) during the course of ~1 year. Erythrocytosis was associated with supraphysiologic levels of bioavailable testosterone and estradiol, and it occurred more frequently in the group that received intramuscular injections of testosterone.

There has been demonstrated a direct relation between testosterone dosage and the incidence of erythrocytosis. Erythrocytosis occurred in 2.8 percent of men receiving 5 mg per day by nonscrotal patches and in 11.3 percent and 17.9 percent of men treated with gel preparations of 50 mg per day (delivering 5 mg per day) and 100 mg per day (delivering 10 mg per day), respectively.

Phlebotomy is on the whole a safe procedure, the frequency of side effects being low and their severity weak. Although untoward events are unlikely with mild erythrocytosis of relatively short duration, the hematocrit or hemoglobin level should be monitored in men receiving testosterone-replacement therapy so that appropriate measures, such as dosage reduction, the withholding of testosterone, therapeutic phlebotomy, or blood donation, may be instituted if erythrocytosis develops. It is reassuring that as far as we can determine, no testosterone-associated thromboembolic events have been reported to date.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Now I'm not even sure I know what this is but I donate blood to lower rbc every chance I can legally do . This post is tapping brain cells so thanks if anyone can help me understand this..thanks.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
I ended up with a rbc of 20 about a year and a half ago.Took 3 months off to come down to high normal
Keep it and crit in check with phlebs. My friends that do so all say how much better they feel.This is important .Keep numbers in check. The high bp is what fucks kidneys, eyes etc up. Not a big deal unless you ignore it and don't
take precautions . Important. Great post.. Thanks,T

Ed17447

Oct 28, 2012
Double Red Cell Donation

Double Red Cell Donation | American Red Cross

Double Red Cell Donation

What Is It?

Double red cell donation is similar to a whole blood donation, except a special machine is used to allow you to safely donate two units of red blood cells during one donation while returning your plasma and platelets to you.

Why Should You Do It?

You may already know about the ongoing need for blood and the importance of your donations through the American Red Cross. Whole blood donations contain red blood cells, platelets, plasma and white blood cells. Red blood cells are the most frequently used blood component and are needed by almost every type of patient requiring transfusion. If you meet certain criteria, double red cell donation allows you to safely donate two units of red cells during one appointment as an automated donation process. It is as safe as whole blood donation.

How Is a Double Red Cell Donation Different?

During your double red cell donation, blood is drawn from one arm and drawn through a sterile, single-use needle set to a machine. The machine separates and collects two units of red cells and then safely returns the remaining blood components, along with some saline, back to you through the same arm.

The Benefits.

Save time and make your donation go further: If you are extremely busy, committed to donating blood and an eligible type O, A negative or B negative donor, double red cell donation may be ideal for you. Each procedure lets you give more of the product that is needed most by patients. Double red cell donation takes about 20-30 minutes longer than a whole blood donation and you can donate approximately every four months.
Feel better: With all of your platelets and plasma returned to you along with some saline, you don’t lose the liquid portion of your blood and may feel more hydrated after your donation.

Am I Eligible to Donate?

In addition to meeting other whole blood donor qualifications, you must also meet specific criteria for donating double red cells, especially for hemoglobin, weight and height. The thresholds for each vary by gender as well as by the device used to collect the blood. A representative from the Red Cross in your area can provide you with the requirements for the collection device currently used.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
You are the man Ed! Thanks for this^^^ The younger generation should really read and do this if on AAS cause high rbc is a sneaker attack and can send someone 9ft down unknown. Please guys at least go in and get.FREE rbc.check.and BP and help save a life
I get free snacks and fun BS session with who knows each time.lots
Of cool people in this world.