©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

to the guys that brew large batches........

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
buy some whatman fast caps! I just filtered 332 mls of 300mg/ml test E in 5 minutes, NO SHIT! I have a vacuum pump that keeps a steady 25 in/hg pressure, I have never seen gear filter so fast, temp was about 65* C, I have had the filters for a while, this was just the first time I've used on. They say that the filter has a life of 10 L, thats a lotta gear for one filter membrane! They're not cheap, I think they're about 25-30$ a pop, but so worth it!

Keith1569

Feb 9, 2013
Good info bro,
I only push like 100ml through a syringe filter and they are like $5 each, so that's worth it

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
If you're referring to the "zap caps", yes they are bad ass! After some guys here turned me on to them, I will never leave them. Little rough to seal, but they are great.

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Good info bro,
I only push like 100ml through a syringe filter and they are like $5 each, so that's worth it

Can't remember exactly how much, but I think even whatman states you can reuse the filter 3x as long as it remains moist.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Zap Caps are superior in my opinion. They are also designed for our application, being "chemical resistant". If you have a nice flask, its amazing how well they seal without being a screw on unit.

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
I put the wrong name in there guys, yes I use zap caps that are "chemical resistant" to filter my compounds made with EO, but for non EO based compounds, nalgene Fast Caps are the bomb, I put the wrong manufacturer on the original post, they can filer 5 litres before replacing. Theres no need to pour the oil out of your mixing beaker or anything, they come with a draw tube that you drop to the bottom on the beaker, and it sucks it right through the beaker. If I guy has a vacuum pump, you can daisy chain these things too and filter mutiple batched at the same time, just T off you suction to another filter! I HIGHLY suggest you guys give these a shot.
fastcap_1_1.jpg

Nalgene 298-9020 FastCap Large Volume Bottle Filter Sterile (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

Last edited:

Bodybuilder0713

Feb 15, 2013
I put the wrong name in there guys, yes I use zap caps that are "chemical resistant" to filter my compounds made with EO, but for non EO based compounds, nalgene Fast Caps are the bomb, I put the wrong manufacturer on the original post, they can filer 5 litres before replacing. Theres no need to pour the oil out of your mixing beaker or anything, they come with a draw tube that you drop to the bottom on the beaker, and it sucks it right through the beaker. If I guy has a vacuum pump, you can daisy chain these things too and filter mutiple batched at the same time, just T off you suction to another filter! I HIGHLY suggest you guys give these a shot.
fastcap_1_1.jpg

Nalgene 298-9020 FastCap Large Volume Bottle Filter Sterile (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

Wish I would have seen this 3 weeks ago lol, didn't quite understand how these worked so I found some instructions.

Attachments

• VacuCap-How.gif
    VacuCap-How.gif
    175.5 KB · Views: 562

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
For the guys that don't have a vacuum pump an are getting one. Look around. There's one on medlab supply they sell for $200-300 an you can get off amazon for $150. Their $100 accessory kit is only about $25 in supplies an tubes you can probably buy locally.

Rizzo

Mar 15, 2013
For the guys that don't have a vacuum pump an are getting one. Look around. There's one on medlab supply they sell for $200-300 an you can get off amazon for $150. Their $100 accessory kit is only about $25 in supplies an tubes you can probably buy locally.

the one on medlab supply cost way too much for a pump that doesn't let you control the speed of the pump. you can find a good speed control varistaltic pump on ebay pretty cheap.

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
I got a pump on ebay for 100$, got all the tubing from us plactics, and the npt barb fittings ate ace hardware.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
So will those 25$ fast caps filter more than 5-6 standard syringe filters which comes to around the same price?

How much oil will u get throught 1 dast cap?

I have a few 100ml batches to so, was going to use 500ml zap caps but I'm thinking its a waste of the filter if there built for 500mls,

And I want the best value for my cash,

So will fast caps be better that standard nylon syringe filters, 'cost wise'

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
All I know is the nalgenes with a vacuum pump will filter 600ml of teste in about 45 mins under 25 inches of vaccum, thats fast enough for me to justify the money on the filter, plus zero effort.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Ok cool, so the fast cap is vaccumed to the glass flask below but what goes above to hold the oil in? Or do you just attach a 50ml syringe and let it suck it out?

FamBam209

Apr 29, 2013
Cali
The fastcap sits on top of ur media bottle of flask one tube runs to ur pump of choice and other tube u attach to fast cal runs into whatever container is holding ur fluids apply pressure of choice and it turns on like champ when u finish jst put it in a ziplock or something until your gonna use it again and it will hold the moisture or at least thats what ive heard that works ;)

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
The fastcap sits on top of ur media bottle of flask one tube runs to ur pump of choice and other tube u attach to fast cal runs into whatever container is holding ur fluids apply pressure of choice and it turns on like champ when u finish jst put it in a ziplock or something until your gonna use it again and it will hold the moisture or at least thats what ive heard that works ;)

Ah right cool, so you can just set the pressure and iit will start pumping automaticly through the tubing, so you could just hold the end over your 10ml vials and mover it over 1 after the other till they have filled up in a line.

tx_frc

Jan 4, 2013
look into the polycap AS if you want to see 1000ml go thru it in a couple of minutes. it will blow your mind.
$$$ though.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013

Also can the unfiltered flask and the filtered flask or vials be on the same bench top level or does gravity play any part in it at all?

Also so there 3 tubes, 1 connected to pump, 1 goes down to the bottom of the unfiltered homebrew and 1 were the filtered homebrew comes out of to either go in another single container or to fill up multi vials etc.