©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

hotplate vs oven

bag1980

Mar 17, 2013
ok some guys use the oven to bake gear could i use a hotplate instead i want to bake it at 320 degree for an hour

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Is that for finished product for sterilization? Why would you when u should have a sterile work environment plus the use of Ba or bb and correct filters Into a sterile sealed vial and or cap system ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding question. Thanks .. Ib.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Is that for finished product for sterilization? Why would you when u should have a sterile work environment plus the use of Ba or bb and correct filters Into a sterile sealed vial and or cap system ? Maybe I'm misunderstanding question. Thanks .. Ib.

Pre bottling stage

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
ok some guys use the oven to bake gear could i use a hotplate instead i want to bake it at 320 degree for an hour

You wouldnt want to take your product or any of its ingredients to 320. Glasswhere is another story. That should be done in the oven, not on hot plate.
At that temp you would be boiling the ingredients.

Rizzo

Mar 15, 2013
did your gear crash? use the hot plate with an Erlenmeyer flask if you are mixing everything together before filtering

bag1980

Mar 17, 2013
You wouldnt want to take your product or any of its ingredients to 320. Glasswhere is another story. That should be done in the oven, not on hot plate.
At that temp you would be boiling the ingredients.

yes i was speaking of glassware i wanted to bake it in beaker before filtering

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
yes i was speaking of glassware i wanted to bake it in beaker before filtering

IMO, I dont think you should take the solution those kind of temps. You will boil the BA out of it, and perhaps burn the solution. Im assuming you want to do this for sterility issues. Thats what BA and filtering is for.
However, I would take any glass that your final filtered product is going to be in, and bake at 450 for 1 hour.

bag1980

Mar 17, 2013
one more question guys ,what temps do you like on hotplate when mixing powder ,oil ,ba ,bb ,etc

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
one more question guys ,what temps do you like on hotplate when mixing powder ,oil ,ba ,bb ,etc

now that depends on melting point of said compound
. For other question on baking I've just set filtered vial in cupcake pan and 15 min at 275 with vent pin.

I have used water bath not straight on hot plate cause I cant afford a million dollar condo building when glass brakes. Condo becomes a fireball from solvents that have now ignited due to direct contact ..

bag1980

Mar 17, 2013
i dont know if matters but im using pyrex beakers i wonder how much they can stand

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
i dont know if matters but im using pyrex beakers i wonder how much they can stand

Pyrex will withstand alot of heat. They are made to use with burners (direct flame). However, IB has a good point, its much safer if you arent working directly on burner with solvents.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA

Generally short esters take more heat than long esters. The common hormones should take between 170F and 200F before they come to solution

bag1980

Mar 17, 2013
Pyrex will withstand alot of heat. They are made to use with burners (direct flame). However, IB has a good point, its much safer if you arent working directly on burner with solvents.

so would a hotplate count as direct flame

Rizzo

Mar 15, 2013

i mix ba,bb, and raw together in erlenmeyer flask on a thrmeolyne hot plate until clear. when clear i mix in the carrier oil and stir periodically untill i see everything has bonded together, usually when the hormone swirl is gone. i dont use a set temp, raws have different melting points. i set my hotplate at 200 and visiually watch everything as i brew.