©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Vaccum filters, and filtering

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Ok so iv read a lot about bottle top filters and from what I gather there sh1t as a lot say they just crack, and once cracked no vaccum so there fukd.

What about the glass once were you just buy the filter membrane to fit in the top? How many ml will 1 membrane filter?

Plus on my last brew my hands were just about done in from pressing on the syringe, and don't want to use the gun method incase I blow a filter, which I have done just by hand twice, that was naglene nylons 0.2u filters.

The glass vacuum filters a full kit the top and bottom bottle is around $50 I think then you just buy the filter membranes and pressure gauge to create the vacuum.

I'm wanting convinience and value for money realy. I was getting bord fast with standard syringe filters.
Anyone used them?

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Glass media bottles with replaceable filters is the way to go. Whatman zap cap filters are great. I've read that as long as the filter remains damp, you can reuse the filter I think 3 times.

So if its a 500ml, that's a total of 4 uses or 2,000ml filtered with 1 filter. They cost about $15. If that's not money savings, might want to go back to school.

tx_frc

Jan 4, 2013
another vote for glass bottoms with disposable tops. nalgene red top .22u and a vac pump works flawless.

i think the zap caps are just for flask seal (they sit on top of a flask, not screw on). the nalgenes are screw on and less hassle IMO.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Stone how we doin on the test supension research ? Lol

Looks Like FordFan and Hijacked got this covered. Thanks guys ..

Tx u wana post a picture of that set up?, cause I'm confused and like to learn..

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Stone how we doin on the test supension research ? Lol

Looks Like FordFan and Hijacked got this covered. Thanks guys ..

Tx u wana post a picture of that set up?, cause I'm confused and like to learn..

Ano no sorry dude, I tried litmus and it doesn't work with out, and not heard anything back from the other guy, so just ordered new raws in from a new source, sent the cash and no no email replys so hope he's just later in replying and iv not just had my cash robbed :(

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
another vote for glass bottoms with disposable tops. nalgene red top .22u and a vac pump works flawless.

i think the zap caps are just for flask seal (they sit on top of a flask, not screw on). the nalgenes are screw on and less hassle IMO.

These the full top and bottom glass flasks I mensioned above you mean? Not plastic tops? A lot say the plastic bottle top filters just crack?

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013

these here?

500ml Whatman Zapcap 33/45mm fitting neck - 0.22 micron (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

if they sit on the top and not screw then how do they seal air tight?

and will this 500ml do a max of 500ml oil? or can you keep going to 2000ml as was mensioned above?

also how do you know when the filter is spent? do you just set it to a certain pressure then once it stops flowing its time for a new filter?

what pressure do you set these at?

also my eq500 for example was hard to push thru a syringe 0.2 nylon, so will the pressure need to be higher for eq500 or is the pressure all the same and just leave it to do its thing?

when guys have said they crack is that just down to putting the pressure too high?

and with that bottle top you would need these bottom bottles?
500ml Hybex Glass Media Bottle (Qty. 1) | Hybex Glass Media Bottles | Media Bottles | Lab Glassware | Med Lab Supply

also seen these:
Nalgene 298-9020 FastCap Large Volume Bottle Filter Sterile (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

says they can filter upto 5litre of oil! is that per 1 filter?

these were what I was talking about origionally, but it seems there a whole unit that you dispose of the whole thing? I though it was a glass top and bottom and disposable/ renewable membrane, but from what I gather you bin the whole thing?
500ml Nalgene Nylon Membrane Complete Filter - 0.2 pore size Sterile (Qty. 1) | Complete Filter Units | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

so those bottle top zap caps are the best out of all this lot??

im just thinking for keeping it all sterile is they don't screw down any knock and air will get into the bottom bottle??

thanks for reading all this and any advice.

Rizzo

Mar 15, 2013
these here?

500ml Whatman Zapcap 33/45mm fitting neck - 0.22 micron (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

if they sit on the top and not screw then how do they seal air tight?

and will this 500ml do a max of 500ml oil? or can you keep going to 2000ml as was mensioned above?

also how do you know when the filter is spent? do you just set it to a certain pressure then once it stops flowing its time for a new filter?

what pressure do you set these at?

also my eq500 for example was hard to push thru a syringe 0.2 nylon, so will the pressure need to be higher for eq500 or is the pressure all the same and just leave it to do its thing?

when guys have said they crack is that just down to putting the pressure too high?

and with that bottle top you would need these bottom bottles?
500ml Hybex Glass Media Bottle (Qty. 1) | Hybex Glass Media Bottles | Media Bottles | Lab Glassware | Med Lab Supply

also seen these:
Nalgene 298-9020 FastCap Large Volume Bottle Filter Sterile (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

says they can filter upto 5litre of oil! is that per 1 filter?

these were what I was talking about origionally, but it seems there a whole unit that you dispose of the whole thing? I though it was a glass top and bottom and disposable/ renewable membrane, but from what I gather you bin the whole thing?
500ml Nalgene Nylon Membrane Complete Filter - 0.2 pore size Sterile (Qty. 1) | Complete Filter Units | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

so those bottle top zap caps are the best out of all this lot??

im just thinking for keeping it all sterile is they don't screw down any knock and air will get into the bottom bottle??

thanks for reading all this and any advice.

you will need to build a laminar flow box to keep it sterile.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
What's 1 of them? I'm after cash value, quickness and convinence realy? not building things? Space is limited also.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Do you not think the fact they don't screw on is a design flaw? Any knock will release the pressure, seems weird to me they made them like that?

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
My filter of choice is the nalgene fastcap, they filter fast as long as solution is warm, however, what the hell is a laminar flow box? I don't know why they'd need be sterile, as the bottom the the filter is sterile, and sterile air is being removed from your sterile media bottle and the solution goes through the membrane and is sterilized.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
My filter of choice is the nalgene fastcap, they filter fast as long as solution is warm, however, what the hell is a laminar flow box? I don't know why they'd need be sterile, as the bottom the the filter is sterile, and sterile air is being removed from your sterile media bottle and the solution goes through the membrane and is sterilized.

Yeh the air is removed but there not a screw fit they just sit on top don't they? Or is there sum sort of rubber seal push fit?

Is a fast cap the syringe filter? How many ml will that do per filter? Ie if you have 500ml to do will will a fast cap be better value than a zapcap bottle top filter?

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
The laminar flow box is what 8 outa 10 or even most ug places don't use. Lots a kitchensink chemist in the world never use which is ok when it's for yourself or person who you get from runs a sterile environment best as possible.IMO

Last edited:

Rizzo

Mar 15, 2013

the flow box is to keep the work place air sterile. filters out particles in the air like the fast cap filters the solution.

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Anyone got a picture or link to what a flow box is so I know what were talking about? I'm on my phone atm so can't google it,

Also a link to the flasks tou use with the zaptops would be great, if those media bottles at medical lab and supplies are no good? The site sugests to use them but if you say there no good for a good seal?

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
By flasks do you mean the clear glass lab flasks with the thinner tube necks and wider diameter bottoms? If so how do you seal them once you've filtered the oil? Rubber stopper?

nuclear2@12

Mar 5, 2013
Iv had a look on med supplies ans they have the veegee 500ml flasks with the glass nipple on the neck for the vacuum for $20 each, so I will get them and the zapcap bottle top filters 0.2u nylons.