©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

dry heat sterilization vs autoclave?

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
I am just curious, what is better for sterilizing items, such as open vials, stoppers, etc...... a dry heat sterilizer(cheap) or a full on autoclave(spendy)?

CONOFVIS

Jan 27, 2013
Moist heat and pressure. Better at penetrating any microorganisms and in shorter amount of time.
You could buy a pressure cooker and use it for sterilization only.

tx_frc

Jan 4, 2013
the best option is dry heat in sterilization bags for glass, then autoclave for stoppers/caps.
had major condensation issues with glass on the autoclave. dry heat would have been ideal but look at dropping 4-600 for a dry heat. + they are small so youre limited on how many you can do at once. but thats where the sealed bags come in, can save for later. pop the top on the clave and technically its not sterile anymore.

highdrum

Dec 14, 2012
sterilization bags, havent seen em, will check it out.......plus the 10ml dispensers I have seen are autoclavable, so I think both pieces of equipment may be mandatory unfortunately.............

tx_frc

Jan 4, 2013
tinfoiled the 10m's then claved them, let it cool down to room temp, cracked lid. came back in 30, tons of condensation on inside. i dont know how to prevent this.
since they were still covered, but obviously not air-tight, took a bit of a risk and put them in oven at like 250 for 30. as you can see you'll be fighting the condenstation the whole time with the clave.
with dry heat, you could do an alcohol wash on the bottles first, then distilled water, then let air dry upside down, then put them in the bags. dry heat them and only use what you need. the bags stay sterile until you cut them open. so the disadvantage is that you can only do 20 or so at a run on the dry heat machine, but you can run more than you need and keep them sterile, something you cant do with the clave. you can also get stoppers which are supposedly high temp i believe.