©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk looking for another Master's Record Log

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
So, it has been a bit since my last log, but that is because I have been in a real tail spin in regards to my training and progress. It has been an uphill battle to add even a few lbs to the bar. Being a contractor and working thru a hot mid west summer is partly to blame. Another, aspect would be trying to do things that work for others (like young guys who work in A/C behind a desk) and even cookie cutter routines. Do you know how hard it is to hit a rut and have young guys around you shooting you text messages about hitting PR's and setting records...so I decided to use it for motivation.

And once I reached a point of true frustration that has lead me to start from scratch with no other real goal then to improve. I need to get back to training for fun and then I will be able to able to pick a meet.

Currently, while I have a good success with high volume routines they kicked my ass on a daily basis leading to 3 to 4 weeks of deloading. Then I tried going back to higher intensity type stuff and all my lifts tanked after two or 3 weeks. I am not sure how other's do it honestly. So, I went back and took a look at Eddy's vids and routines and decided to model my training after some of his philosophies. Less is more and periodizing everything.

My routine is actually bare bones with just two lifts a day , 5 days a week. I have two more weeks of 5 rep sets, then I will drop to triples and then doubles each for a month.

Monday
Squat working up to a heavy set of 5
T bar rows 4x10

Tuesday
Bench working up to a heavy set of 5
Incline 4x10

Wednesday
Deadlift working up to a heavy triple
Side laterals 4x10

Thursday
Light squats a few sets of 4 with 80% of Monday
Pendlay rows 4x10

Friday
Light bench a few sets of 4 with 80% of Tuesday
Standing press 4x10

I will lower all reps after deload.

Cycle:
Usual 10 on two off, repeat
Test 1200 EW
Deca 1200 EW
anadrol 50 mg PRW

this week I add 5 iu hgh ED and mk-677.

Keep you posted,
Hawk

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to following your progress!

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Going from volume, I'm really curious as to how this will work for you. It always amazes me how some can do both, while others respond better to one or the other. As I've mentioned before, I'm a high frequency/low volume guy. Luckily as I think my bones and tendons would alow my longevity in the sport. Good luck brother!

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/10
Ok, so today was a shit day at work, but a good one in the gym. It was actually the first day in a long time I felt stronger on a consecutive squat day that was not following a deload. I don't pay much attention to PRs unless it is at a meet, rather I watch trends. So, if I continue to go up this will be a great sign that I am headed in the right direction.

If you have not read my intro, realize I am starting from a do as little as possible mentality and then add only as I can handle it or plateau.

Monday
squats 225x5,315x3,385x5,435x5,405×5
tbar row 2plates x10,3px10,3px10,3px8,3px8
done

In addition I started 5iu hgh prw with mk677 before bed.
Tomorrow, bench press...we will see.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/11 Tuesday

So, in my usual rambling style I will fill you in as I go. One thing I have incorporated into my MINIMILISTIC MACRO PERIODIZATION is auto regulation. Which is simply rating the effort put into a set. A 10 is an all you have effort, a 9 is one rep left in the tank, an 8 is two reps and a one is still changing in the locker room. So, each session you will notice I have a feeler set after my warm up. I then base that day's heavy set on how much effort the feeler took. Did I feel strong, so so or like a puss. Example, last week I noted to add 10 lbs. to my heavy set since 295 for 5 went easy. However, this week 265 felt particularly light so I added 20lbs...so 315 for 5 reps. And btw I am shooting for an 8 RPE or 2 reps left in the tank on my heavy sets.

So, while 315 for 5 is actually a step back from last spring, it's a huge jump forward from the last few months. I am also working on the idea that after a year straight of training 1 to 3 reps that I suck a anything above that. But, maybe my body needed the break. 40 plus a couple years is a little late to start powerlifting, but I never said I was smart.

Tuesday
Bench 135x5,185x5,225x3,315x5,285x5 all paused
DB curls 45x10,10,10,10,10
incline bench 185x10,10,10,10

Done,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/12 Wednesday

So, I woke up with a tight lower back, not sure it was training or the weather.However, it wasnt injured just tight so I did not know what dead lift day would bring. However, a seasoned lifter would do well know the difference between soreness and fatigue. I had the former and as the Bulgarians say, soreness is a lie. That lead me to just train and see what happened.

Deads with stiff bar 225x3,315x3,385x5,425x5 8.5 RPE (8.5 means I think I could get two more just not sure, well I had the strength but not the wind).

Side laterals 35x10x4 for accessories I do straight sets and will up when I hit reps on all 4.

Calves 180x5x5

I am still pleased, next week will be my third and last before a deload and rep drop. This whole program is just a low intensity, base builder. Nothing to taxing mentally. Now I know why psyche does bbing training off season...you need a mental break from heavy weights non stop. Once, I see my progress at the end of this phase I will pick a meet or run this again.

I would like to see 600 squat and dead and a 425 bench with a 9 effort.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/15 (reporting for 13th and 14th, Thu and Fr)

Ok, some side notes. First, I had to move my mk-677 and prami to AM dosing. It was messing with my sleep too much. I value my sleep to much. Next, since I am looking for motivation anywhere I can find it I went to the beginning of my log book which started around June and while the weights are the same I see that weights I was doing 3 tough reps with I am doing for easier reps of 5 now. So, while it's not much I'll take it, since as I mentioned my summers are worth nothing. Now, I am really looking forward to lowering the reps.

And one more side note. My chest felt good for the first time in a few months. Even though it was a light day I normally feel fatigued and weak and have for a long time. Adding to this in my attempt to find affirmation about my situation I stumbled onto an article over at dragondoor (Pavel) which actually mentioned three types of lifters; guys who respond well to high volume, guys who respond well to a variety, and then guys like me who respond to low volume/high intensity. I am just going to run with it. Rule #1 Know Thyself !

Thursday 11/13
Squat 225/3 315/4 345/4 345/4
Pendlay rows 185x10x4

Friday 11/14
Bench 135x5,135x5,185x5,225x3,250x4,250x4
Standing Press 95x10,155x10,10,8,6

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/17-19 Monday thru Wednesday

So, it's the best of times and the worst of times. I have had a good week in the gym, but have gained 7lbs in 5 days...all water...all around my waste. This has lead to constant back cramping and difficulty breathing. Not very comfortable. I am going to try adding some potassium and see if that helps.

Anyway, rolled into my third week and had some decent lifts and a positive attitude with the exception of today.

Monday
squat 225x3,315x3,385x5,450x5 (8) probably could have managed 475,405x5
tbar 3px10,10,10

Tuesday
Bench press 135x5,205x3,245x3,285x5, 335x5 (8 had more), 315x5
incline 195x10,10,10

Wednesday
dl 225x3,315x1,385x5 (9) back tight and I had nothing, maybe heavy squats, maybe water retention, maybe bad day but who knows.

I may need to rethink dl frequency. ..time will tell.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
12/1

Well I did a light deload last week just working up to 60%x3. I also only trained Monday and Tuesday...heck it was Thanksgiving.

I am also fighting a lot of water retention which caused me to gain 10 lbs in 7 days bringing me up over 280#. I have managed to get three back off which relieved a lot of lower back cramping, but I still have a good amount of bloat. So, I dropped the deca and will cut back on the GH if need be...time will tell.

Onto training. This month I drop to set's of three which I haven't done since June so the weights felt awkward. Not, scary heavy but wobbly heavy...I had the strength but poor stability not sure if it was a bad day or what.

Monday
Squat 225/5 315/3 405/1 445/3 465/3 435/3
T Bar 3plates+10x10,10,8.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Well, I have lots to say about last week, but am going to do it in another thread. I will report back tomorrow and fill you in.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
12/10
So, after my GH fiasco of gaining 10lbs and then losing 10 lbs from mk 677 and 5iu hgh. I am running 5iu of GH PRW on training days only and am down from 283 to 275. Still holding some water as well. So, some cramping and bloat, but it's tolerable. Overall I feel pretty good once I dropped the mk 677.

Now, just as interesting is my training. Last week I dropped to triples...so three sets...a heavy feeler set, a heavy set of 7 to 9 RPE (working up every week) and a back of set. Well, last week I put 450 on my back and was almost flattened. I was so shaky on the way down...the same thing happened on bench at 335. This coming 6 months after my last meet when I squatted 570 and benched 420. Needless to say I was disappointed and freaked out.

This week I bumped up the weight and my spotter said it was weird how shaky and slow I went down, but then rocketed back up. That was encouraging and needed. It looks like I need to get under heavy weights more. Also, I was able to add some weight this week.

On a side note, I am going to cut out squat session #2 and move my DL from Wednesday to Thursday. To much on my lower back.

12/8
Squat 455x3,475x3,425x3
T bar 3P+10x10,10,10

12/9
Bench 335x3,355x3,315x3
Incline 205x10,10,10

12/10
DL 405x2,2,2 (stiff bar)
Laterals 50x10,10,10
Calves 180x5x5

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
12/12

So, work forced me to take TH off, but that is OK since I was going to drop my second squat session anyway. I should have done this from the beginning, that is drop everything to 1x a week and then move up as needed or as I can handle it. Instead (as usual) I have chosen the hard way, so after thinking back to a conversation with Ed as well as reviewing the training of him and others I have begun to think differently. Now, I have a open perspective on training and what is optimal. I think Paul Carter says it better then I ever could here : http://www.anasci.org/vB/weight-lif...carter-minimilist-vs-maximilist-training.html

Now, my split will be:
Monday: Heavy squat/upper back work
Tuesday: Heavy bench/shoulder work
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Medium deadlift/Upper back
Friday: Light bench/shoulder work
Weekend: Off

On Friday I worked a bit late again and was only able to squeeze in some light bench.
Close Grip 265x3x3

Hawk