©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

straigt leg deadlifts

stussy

Anasci's Quote Editor
Sep 19, 2004
I was doing these yesterday and my back Is killing me today. I could barely sit in my car today. i know this workout is supposed to work the lower back, but to the point of torture??? I only did 3 sets, 8 reps, 70 lbs each side. :confused:

P

pincrusher

our lower back muscle group is generally the weaker ones we have. it doesnt usually get much direct work especially when people wear a weight belt all the time. you are now experiencing what it is like to directly work the lower back muscles. it will gradually lessen as you start to strengthen your muscles in that area but until then you will probably have to deal with a good bit of discomfort.

stussy

Anasci's Quote Editor
Sep 19, 2004
pincrusher said:
our lower back muscle group is generally the weaker ones we have. it doesnt usually get much direct work especially when people wear a weight belt all the time. you are now experiencing what it is like to directly work the lower back muscles. it will gradually lessen as you start to strengthen your muscles in that area but until then you will probably have to deal with a good bit of discomfort.

I thought i had a fairly strong back. I guess I was wrong.

P

pincrusher

stussy said:
Being an ironworker/welder I thought i had a fairly strong back. I guess I was wrong.
your overall back may be strong from your line of work but the back muscle group is very complex. the lower back muscles are not used nearly as much in every day operations so when you hit them directly bam they get sore as hell. you are more than likely using middle back, traps, & lats during your normal workday. even when picking up something heavy, we are always taught to bend the legs and keep the back straight and lift straight up, thus helping to eliminate most of the need for your lower back muscles to have to do much work.

stussy

Anasci's Quote Editor
Sep 19, 2004
true enough, I never though about that. It totally take away from using the back muscles to a minimal. And isolates more to the leg muscles. I am going to have to work my back more often anyways now, I moved into an office position. More computer time, less welding time. :D

steve0085

May 4, 2005
FlorEeDuh
When i do straight leg deadlifts, my hamstrings burn but my back doesn't hurt at all. Does that mean i'm doing it wrong?

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
It's not suppossed to hurt but you are suppossed to feel it. It's one of the most dominant muscles being worked. Your probably getting more used to the movement and the strain on it but you might also want to check your form.

P

pincrusher

steve0085 said:
When i do straight leg deadlifts, my hamstrings burn but my back doesn't hurt at all. Does that mean i'm doing it wrong?
it could just mean that your hamstrings are very weak compared to your back muscles which is forcing the hams to work hard.
it could also be your form but wouldnt know unless i watched ya doing them.

Clint1

Mar 26, 2005
My experience with this exercise is if you keep the hips stationary while executing, this will place more stress on the back. If you thrust the hips forward while executing, this takes stress of the back and works more of the hams. Keep the knees bent slightly, either way. It sounds to me like bad form, you shouldn't have been that sore. Clint

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
If your not doing it already do them in the mirror with light weight first before working out so you can get the movement down. Then move up to your normal weight.

big o

X-POWERLIFTER
Mar 20, 2005
WEll i was a competitive power lifter for along long time..IMO their a waste of time..It's a lower back/stretch the hammies kind of excercise...Good morning's are good for the stretch and you could do it with light to moderate weight....Bent over rows on a box with stretch on the bottom is even better....

P

pincrusher

steve0085 said:
Are you calling me weak Pin?
yeah LOL actually what i am referring to is you might have an imbalance in strength levels between your lower back muscles and those of your hamstrings. if one muscle is stronger than the other, it will tend to take on most of the workload during the exercise. its the same as if one bicep is bigger than the other, you will have the one arm exerting most of the force needed to move the weight and the other will get progressively weaker compared to the stronger one creating an imbalance. you would find out the difference between them when you do dumbell curls which isolate each individual muscle.

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
You should be doing some prep excercises before doing deadlifts or squats or anything else that puts a heavy load on your back. Situps and reverse situps relieve tension on the lower back. I always do a couple of sets of these first. It helps tremendously.

dump truck

Feb 11, 2005
I also do Hyper extensions for my lower back. This helps me Squat very heavy. Also I do stiff legs on a box so I can go lower Also don't use big plates so you can go lower with out the weights touching the ground.