©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

alternative to squats

needsomeinfo

Feb 19, 2005
I work out at home and rarely have a spotter, yet i need to work in the legs in a squat like manner so I can get some ass on my skinny self. I was thinking about just doing squats with dumbells in my hands. Any suggestions?

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
needsomeinfo said:
I was thinking about just doing squats with dumbells in my hands. Any suggestions?
Yes, DON'T do squats with dumbells unless you are female and even then only if you want to trick yourself into thinking you are doing some good.

Seriously, you don't need a spotter to do squats. Use a lower weight and do 3 sets of 20. Now I'm not talking about 115 lbs. I'm talking about working up to your bodyweight and then adding more in the future.
You will be amazed at how much your upper (yes I said upper) body strength will go up. You will think you are on steroids.

needsomeinfo

Feb 19, 2005
Thats why I really want to start squatting hard, I read a sticky on here about it and it impressed me. I have been working on my power cleans and I have went from doing about 90 lbs wish shitty form to doing about 140 lbs and hearing the the weights snap at the end, I love it

healthfreak

Jun 19, 2005
ya squats are tough. I do them but there painfull. I have had oshgood slaughter for years and it fing hurts.

W

wolfyEVH

all your lifts should be based on squats, bench, deads and/or rows if you're trying to add size. A analogy is this:

Lower body = teacher
Upper body = student

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
I just started doing Hack Squats and Power Squats (on machine where you add plates) and I must say I can already feel an overall change in my body. I always neglected legs because mine are naturally big from years of cycling and swimming. I'm up to 500 on the powersquat and I love it!!

needsomeinfo

Feb 19, 2005
im just going to start light, for my equipments not that great(i only have a standard bar and standard weights) , then im going to owrk my wat up to doing sets of 20 with my body weight , then who knows from there, maybe ill get uo to 1.5 of my bw

mr.nitrofish

May 5, 2005
I was doing squats on this machine with a piviot. it has some good resistance, but at max weight (855lbs)its probley equal to only 1/3 of that on the rack.

I wanted to see how much of a difference it was so I went to the smith machine and added 45lb plates till I couldn't do anymore. I got to 270lbs(x6 45lb weights), lifted that fine then one the next set with 360lbs(x8 45lb weights) I got floored. and stupid me when I was supposed to turn the bar one way to lock I turned the other way and was practally on the floor before I got it right. that didn't feel too good on the old back.

but anyway, ya, you got to do squats, deadlifts and bench presses, those are the big 3. if you do them on the machines your kind of cheating yourself because its not accual weights, but id still say if you have no spotter it wont hurt to use the machines, you just wont get as much out of it.

Vizzy7

Dec 7, 2004
USA
not to cut into a thread but is it ok to work legs say on monday and again on friday?? For lets say a month or so?

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
Vizzy7 said:
not to cut into a thread but is it ok to work legs say on monday and again on friday?? For lets say a month or so?

That should be plenty of time to recover.

W

wolfyEVH

Vizzy7 said:

why would you want to work them more?? more doesnt always mean better. if your legs are lacking, then your current routine probably isnt up to par. i would be giving legs the longest rest out of all the bodyparts, considering thats where the majority of your muscles are at.