©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What's the key to huge traps?

mightymo51

Jan 21, 2006
I always see these guys at the gym with huge traps. When I ask them what they do, they just give some normal excersises like shrugs and other things for shoulders. I've tried very hard to get my traps looking discustingly huge with little success. Although my traps are decent in size and definition, I feel like they could be a lot bigger. Can anyone give me some advice on building discustingly huge traps? Thanks.

bigguns

Dec 7, 2005
Deadlifts bro.... Heavy intense deadlifts!! They put a lot of strain on the traps and in conjunction with the other regular exercises you should see excellent development. Try it - hit 3-4 sets of 10 reps HEAVY deadlifts and then see how your traps feel the next day.

Clint1

Mar 26, 2005
Yup, deadlifts i'm up to 305 or 315 for 10 reps. If your grip sucks like mine get some lifting straps. I also think my seated, flat,incline and close grip presses help as well. I've tried shrugs in the past and i didn't see any significant difference while doing them. I stopped doing them and used the extra energy for more deads. Clint

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
My list:

1-clean or power cleans--any olympic lift
2. dumbell or kettlebell snatches
3. deadlifts-snatch grip deads are best, IMO
4. any type of chest supported row
5. seated cable pulls to neck/face (face pulls)

These are the movements that I contribute to most of my trap development (my upper back is probably only second to my legs as far as best bodypart).
I only do conventional deadlifts twice a month on my dynamic effort lower days. On these days I use 60-70% of my 1RM and do 8-10 sets of singles. Sometimes on my lower body days, I'll use snatch grip RDL or snatch grip DL's for 3-4 sets of 5-6 reps and those kill my upper back/traps.

Chest supported rows and cleans seem to really hit the lower traps and add thickness to them. Any clean or snatch really works them well. I can always count on getting a good pump and DOMS by doing a few sets of face pulls, though, and they also hit the rear delts and prevent shoulder overuse injuries pretty well.

My 2 cents.

rebhchad

Jun 27, 2004
power cleans, power cleans, and power cleans. and maybe a little shrugs.

P

pincrusher

dumbell shrugs hit em great for me. much better than barbell shrugs. hold and squeeze at the top for 5 seconds on each shrug and literally try to drive your shoulders into your ears. i rarely do bar shrugs anymore but when i do it is as heavy as i can go and still do 3-4 shrugs with the last one being held to failure :)

DecaDude

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Yeah, I don't do flatbar shrugs anymore.. with the test. I'm running I don't need anything rubbing on my dick.

kell11

AnaSCI VET
Mar 1, 2005
On My Boat in Texas
Dumbell shrugs.Also some guys just have monstrerous traps -though proportionate to their body.
but shrugs will pop em up better than any thing.

mightymo51

Jan 21, 2006
Thanks for the replys fella's! I do dumbell shrugs all the time and they have definately made a difference, but as far as the dead lifts and power cleans go my form just sucks. I've had some lower back problems before and am afraid of getting injured again. So I guess I'll just start out really light on those excersises until I get the form down. Thanks again guys!

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
Hey, bro--I forgot one you should try, s a little easier on the lower back (at least for me) and totally takes grip out of the picture.

Calf machine shrugs--just get on a calf machine and instead of doing calf raises, raise and lower your shoulders as HIGH and LOW as possible.

I prefer to do these with the safety squat bar that we have, I'd suggest using that if you have access to one. But the calf machine works okay.

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
kell11 said:
Dumbell shrugs.Also some guys just have monstrerous traps -though proportionate to their body.
but shrugs will pop em up better than any thing.

I agree some just have better traps thru genetics. I have very big lats and only average traps. It seems to always be one or the other...

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
gregdiesel said:
I agree some just have better traps thru genetics. I have very big lats and only average traps. It seems to always be one or the other...

That's true, most people (aside from very gifted bbers and guys) have one or two really good/easily developed bodyparts and one or two problem areas. In my case, my calves are small and I have very narrow shoulders. But my traps and lats are overdeveloped. I'd give up the big traps any day for a wider frame/wider shoulders. Guys always compliment me on my traps/neck and ask me for pointers but most women don't like it at all.

For example of the disproportion-- my neck is 20", chest is 50" and shoulders are only 55". That is a really ugly ratio, I'd never be a successful bodybuilder b/c when I am above 205 or so (i'm 235 right now) they start to look odd. What's worse is I am 6' tall. If I was shorter, my neck/traps might be a little more proportionate to the rest of my body but their not.

I wouldn't even train neck/traps if they didn't help with squatting/benching so much, but they do.

Last edited:

cawb

May 29, 2005
down south
i agree with greg, it's either one or the other, my lats suck seems like no matter what i do they dont grow very well but my traps i can do 3 sets of dumbell shrugs and my traps love it , i also follow the same routine as pin get your shoulders as high as you can and hold for about 5 sec.

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
pincrusher said:
dumbell shrugs hit em great for me. much better than barbell shrugs. hold and squeeze at the top for 5 seconds on each shrug and literally try to drive your shoulders into your ears. i rarely do bar shrugs anymore but when i do it is as heavy as i can go and still do 3-4 shrugs with the last one being held to failure :)
]

Best advice on this thread. Holding the shrug at the top of the movement and pausing will produce great results. I see too many people who try to perform the exercise way to quickly and bounce with their legs way to much!

ben johnson

Sep 1, 2005
mormonville
STEELADDICTION said:
]

Best advice on this thread. Holding the shrug at the top of the movement and pausing will produce great results. I see too many people who try to perform the exercise way to quickly and bounce with their legs way to much!

my workout ptnr made me slow down and hold for just a second at the top...kicks butt. i do them on the machine and also dumb bells and have seen great results by s l o w i n g down....

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
Lifting Hooks

This is a comprehensive thread. I would just like to add that for me lifting straps are not strong enough while doing barbell shrugs. I have heavy duty lifing HOOKS. That way I can lift that 440 lbs without cutting off all the blood to my hands. However, I still do get extremely red hands from the blood getting cut off during my lifts. There's just no fucking way for my grip to handle that poundage. I love how my traps have responded to heavy barbell shrugs.

NeverBigEnuff

Nov 12, 2005
Thanks guys...I was going to post the same question. My traps are in dire need of some size. Lot's of good stuff in this thread. I've tried barbell shrugs...and dumbell shrugs, but I think a reverse barbell shrug is more effective for me, then the traditional barbell shrug, but still no huge traps. I don't care if the ladies don't like em...I think they make for a more balanced appearance.

mightymo51

Jan 21, 2006
I really appreciate all of your advice fella's. I know what you mean about having well developed muscle and some not so well developed. I'm the same as gregdiesel, I've got enormous lats and average traps. Hopefully I can change that in the future. Oh yeah, got with a friend of mine who really helped me out with that form I was lacking in the dead lift, I can definetly tell a huge difference and I also slowed down my reps on those dumbell shrugs. The traps are hurting today. Thanks Again!

Big Danny

AnaSCI VET
Sep 21, 2006
Shrugs bro, havy once, bar or dumbels, not more than 2-3 sets, to failure. Do not train them for another week. Give them the chance to grow.