©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Adult Onset Asthma a Disgnosis

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
So, went to the pulmonilogist 2 days ago and I walk away with 3 inhalers and a diagnosis of adult onset asthma at the age of 42.

This is mind boggling to me. For the past 27 years I have devoted most of my training to being an endurance athlete and haven't the slightest of problems. I ran cross country, track, won 5k & 10k races, spent 8 years in Army SOF and have been an avid hiker, climber, and kayaker.

I'm just so pissed. I can't even breathe right at rest, let alone during activity. I did a 7 mile hike a few weeks back with some friends and looked like a wheezing, dying chump.

And then the doc says, "you need to quit smoking". Really? I smoke 1-2 cigarettes a DAY!!! And offers nothing for cessation. Good job cunt! Way to do your job. Maybe she reasoned it would be easy to give up such a small amount, but I already did that 16 months ago. That 1 or 2 a day is like a sanity life line.

I just wonder, could AAS usage have accelerated or precipitated an event like this.

Thanks for listening to my enraged post.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Depends on what you're using. Tren has a bad reputation for causing breathing problems and killing cardiovascular capacity. But, there's ways around that. Nasacort fights the allergic reaction that causes the difficulty breathing from Tren. Other than Tren, are you keeping your blood pressure and body fat in check? High BP can cause difficulty breathing, and any extra fat just makes our bodies have to work harder at everything we do.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Dude, I feel your pain. I spent a good bit of time in the Al Anbar Province in Iraq and we always had burn pits burining around out combat outposts and such where we lived. After returning, I have suffered from shortness of breath, and have gotten either Pneumonia or Bronchitis every year since then. I read that some vets have breathing issues from that and microscopic metal fragments in the lungs that the body can't get rid of. I did years in the Army as well, but this was all as a contractor, and contractors don't really have any recourse. So, it is just something I have to live with...if this had anything to do with it..who knows. Maybe this is something you may want to check into. There are articles you can search for and do a little reading. I hope this helps, brother...

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Depends on what you're using. Tren has a bad reputation for causing breathing problems and killing cardiovascular capacity. But, there's ways around that. Nasacort fights the allergic reaction that causes the difficulty breathing from Tren. Other than Tren, are you keeping your blood pressure and body fat in check? High BP can cause difficulty breathing, and any extra fat just makes our bodies have to work harder at everything we do.

Never used Tren a day in my life. My blood pressure was perfect. I've never even had an adverse reading. BF% sitting at 14 right now. Little highrr than normal but I've been so down about my health ice basically stopped lifting the last two months. Haven't been on cycle since Nov.

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Dude, I feel your pain. I spent a good bit of time in the Al Anbar Province in Iraq and we always had burn pits burining around out combat outposts and such where we lived. After returning, I have suffered from shortness of breath, and have gotten either Pneumonia or Bronchitis every year since then. I read that some vets have breathing issues from that and microscopic metal fragments in the lungs that the body can't get rid of. I did years in the Army as well, but this was all as a contractor, and contractors don't really have any recourse. So, it is just something I have to live with...if this had anything to do with it..who knows. Maybe this is something you may want to check into. There are articles you can search for and do a little reading. I hope this helps, brother...
Thanks brother. I appreciate the response. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this BS as well. We did burn pits as well. And I lived next to an oil refinery in South Bahgdad for about a year. But this was all back in 05-06. And I left AD in 09. I'm not discounting its possibility, but that's a long time in between before the onset.

I've started a much more aggressive cardio program lately. It's all very slow but focuses on longevity and endurance. I chugged out an hour and 2 mins the other day. I was going slow as hell, but I feel I need to do this to strengthen my lungs and get some capacity back.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
well asthma is easy enough to diagnose...blow into a peak flow 3 times, record the terrible reading in the "red" section of the red yellow and green scale. Then take a few puffs of the inhaler or nebulizer treatment and blow again into the peak flow device and now you are in the green. He gave you a peak flow so you can know how bad your asthma is right?

Or did he perform a methacholine challenge on ya in a pulmonary lung function test? (Where you breath the irritant until you have bronchi constriction that is reversed with albuterol)
Got your PFT results? lol

Last edited:

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
well asthma is easy enough to diagnose...blow into a peak flow 3 times, record the terrible reading in the "red" section of the red yellow and green scale. Then take a few puffs of the inhaler or nebulizer treatment and blow again into the peak flow device and now you are in the green. He gave you a peak flow so you can know how bad your asthma is right?

Or did he perform a methacholine challenge on ya in a pulmonary lung function test? (Where you breath the irritant until you have bronchi constriction that is reversed with albuterol)
Got your PFT results? lol
I did the first now test you mentioned. And a few other breathing tests. I was not exposed to irritants though.

The two "types" of breathing they measured indicated a 20% and 80% improvement post inhaler administration. She said that is a significant finding to conclude asthma. My smoking, she said, has never been heavy enough to conclude a diagnosis of COPD. Which of course is good. But, I'm pessimistic that this will improve.

I also have pretty severe allergies.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
well just to paint you a picture on the two cigs a day....you breathe in crap from cigs (and other stuff like the petro bonfire), protease enzymes are sent out to gobble up the toxins and clean up the lung, bad thing is they can't discriminate between crap and tissue and will go on tearing up lung tissue...so once all the crap is cleaned up the body sends out alpha 1 anti trypsin enzymes to tell the cleaner uppers to stop working so the lung is safe)

now the interesting thing about alpha 1 antitrypsin enzymes is that we all have a different amount of them...some people have non and get copd without ever smoking and have to take injections of it...some people have a ton and that's your pack a day 95 year old granny...so ya, don't breath in anything besides air...and weed lol

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
well just to paint you a picture on the two cigs a day....you breathe in crap from cigs (and other stuff like the petro bonfire), protease enzymes are sent out to gobble up the toxins and clean up the lung, bad thing is they can't discriminate between crap and tissue and will go on tearing up lung tissue...so once all the crap is cleaned up the body sends out alpha 1 anti trypsin enzymes to tell the cleaner uppers to stop working so the lung is safe)

now the interesting thing about alpha 1 antitrypsin enzymes is that we all have a different amount of them...some people have non and get copd without ever smoking and have to take injections of it...some people have a ton and that's your pack a day 95 year old granny...so ya, don't breath in anything besides air...and weed lol
Well explained!

As to your last line, if it were only that easy;) I've always enjoyed tobacco.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
We the body correct it's self again? Or is he going to have the asthma for life

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
We the body correct it's self again? Or is he going to have the asthma for life
Asthma can certainly be lifelong. As for whether it will be, it's anyone's guess. I haven't seen stats for recovery for this type of asthma, provided I've been diagnosed correctly. Further, the likelihood of me quitting smoking is very low. I've all but eliminated it. And I've never had an issue before. Seems odd that during one of the otherwise healthiest times in my life Id experience this as a result of much decreased smoking.

I tend to believed it was precipitated by another factor.

Jonny

Dec 6, 2014
I have asthma. Was born with it.. But did stop me from doing what I want, Wrestling and football. I still stay on top of cardio. It hard for some. Now they have radiotherapy for your lungs

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
I have asthma. Was born with it.. But did stop me from doing what I want, Wrestling and football. I still stay on top of cardio. It hard for some. Now they have radiotherapy for your lungs

Good to hear brother. Is the radiotherapy for extreme cases only? Or is it purely elective?

Jonny

Dec 6, 2014
Well I'm sure if you have the money, but in extreme cases yes. Like if you use your inhaler 28times a day.

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Well I'm sure if you have the money, but in extreme cases yes. Like if you use your inhaler 28times a day.

I'm doing the once a day maintenance dose of Breo. The other two are rescue inhalers.

I used to go thru 100 doses w week though.