©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Shoes????

AR-15

Jan 10, 2016
I know this isnt the most interesting post in the world but I figured maybe some of you guys might have some good info on this. I never really gave a shit about what type of shoes I wore to train in as long as they were clean and somewhat comfortable. However since I hit the 40 yr old range my feet seem to be really taking a beating lately. Ive been using the pharmacy type insoles but not with much success. What type or make of shoes do you guys wear for working out, running, etc. Any help would be appreciated....AR....

Jan 26, 2015
midwest
I like to go super heavy on leg day and I've had this same issue. I bought the Nike shox. I got the a half size bigger and they seem to really help

Bear

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I think your going to find majority of lifters wearing Chuck Taylors or any shoe with a wide and firm minimal footbed. Wrestling shoes, Van's, dedicated lifting/crossfit shoes are built like this as well. Others prefer nothing. I'm a competitive shooter and order alot of gear from 511 tactical and bought these trainers for competition but use them for lifting as well. Not going to win a beauty pageant but work very well. I have very flat feet and my shoes take a beating in a hurry, but these have held up quite well.

5.11 RECON Trainer - Cross-training Low Profile Shoe

Jan 26, 2015
midwest
Chuck Taylor's are good! I have no arch at all and my feet always hurt. I tried the Nike and my feet felt a little better. I would never wear them in competition.

Bear

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
AR, very valid question!

I agree with the Chuck Taylor's. That is what I wear for lifting. Great for putting the power to the floor. Now if you want to run, that is a whole different game and you will need different a shoe that gives support AND cushion to protect the knees and joints. And most likely, you are much heavier than an average runner, so get a shoe built to take the extra weight.

Last edited:

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
I like to go super heavy on leg day and I've had this same issue. I bought the Nike shox. I got the a half size bigger and they seem to really help

Bear

I always loved the Nike shoxs BUT - I had a good source for them cheep a few years back and had around 15 pair - from real heavy squats and leg press I was blowing them apart 1 pair at a time. These are sneekers that I had only worn a few times.
I had may favorite pair of red and black full shoxs at karate -I looked down and the ground was red from the red shox falling apart. Well - I have 1 pair left now so I think I am done with them.
The ones with back shox -the soles come off quick.
Addidas come a long way in there gear. Nike has some good looking stuff but don't last for anything.
I have some addidas high top running shoes that are great.
For leg day I like kind of flat sole tight high tops
that's just me

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I can't ever give recommendations on shoes. I wear a 15, so I'm limited to whatever is on hand at the store, which usually isn't much. I try to look for a running style shoe with a flatter sole that isn't as prone to rolling forward when you put you're weight on your toes.

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
I like a military type boot, especially for doing legs. Makes my feet feel secure and balanced for some reason more than sneakers.

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I have gotten away from running shoes and have been wearing the Jordan trainers. They have good support as well as arch support

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I know this isnt the most interesting post in the world but I figured maybe some of you guys might have some good info on this. I never really gave a shit about what type of shoes I wore to train in as long as they were clean and somewhat comfortable. However since I hit the 40 yr old range my feet seem to be really taking a beating lately. Ive been using the pharmacy type insoles but not with much success. What type or make of shoes do you guys wear for working out, running, etc. Any help would be appreciated....AR....

For everyday shoes,,,NEW BALANCE!!! My feet have NEVER been happier. I have some 890 V3 models and they are the best thing I have ever worn. A true pleasure to wear.

AR-15

Jan 10, 2016
Thanks guys!!!! I really appreciate the posts. I never had a problem until I hit 40 and it seems to get worse and worse. Hopefully some of your opinions will help....AR....

Barks

Sep 24, 2014
Texas
I'm like Marshall...and you for that matter...I'm no spring chicken and I need the extra support. I wear belleville tactical boots. One pair the heavier kind..great for leg days and the other mini mil transition boot.

04lsxmustang

Feb 16, 2016
Adidas samba .. I've heard if you lifting and shoes like Nike shox are terrible for you lower body as you ankle strain to keep stable when the soles roll.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Any running shoe or shoe with dampening is a very poor choice for heavy lifting. On the flip side, specialized lifting shoes are very poor for running. Since I lack ankle and hamstring flexibility, Chucks aren't the best choice for me as I need an elevated heel to prevent pelvic tilt. I recently purchased the Inov-8 Fastlift 225 and really like them. Very ridged and supportive in the heel but slightly flexible in the toe box. So far they have been great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YC240YY/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Adidas samba .. I've heard if you lifting and shoes like Nike shox are terrible for you lower body as you ankle strain to keep stable when the soles roll.