©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

high cholesterol and trigycerides.....

firetodd5

May 27, 2005
Florida
my dad has high cholesterol and high triglycerides and I was wondering if anyone knew anything that he could take or a good diet for him. Thanks.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
firetodd5 said:
my dad has high cholesterol and high triglycerides and I was wondering if anyone knew anything that he could take or a good diet for him. Thanks.

Eat oatmeal, Take a good garlic pill daily. There are also natural supps like policosanol. The triglicerides being high are much more concerning than the cholesterol. He needs to be careful with his carb intake, and should probably avoid things like soft drinks, beer, etc. Exercise of course is important.

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
I recommend having your father get a more detailed lab-workup on his cholesterol results. I just found out I have high total chol -- my HDL is ok but my LDL is high. When I got a more detailed analysis of the breakdown of the HDL, it was my Lp(a) which is a component that CANNOT be influenced by diet and exercise. In other words, no matter how much garlic, oatmeal, low carbs I ingest it wont make a damn bit of difference.....

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Bizarro said:
I recommend having your father get a more detailed lab-workup on his cholesterol results. I just found out I have high total chol -- my HDL is ok but my LDL is high. When I got a more detailed analysis of the breakdown of the HDL, it was my Lp(a) which is a component that CANNOT be influenced by diet and exercise. In other words, no matter how much garlic, oatmeal, low carbs I ingest it wont make a damn bit of difference.....

This is true. In many cases, only Statin drugs will bring it down.

Iron Warrior

Dec 30, 2004
Red Rice Yeast Extract is similar to statin drugs and is pretty effective at 2400 mg. Just make sure you take CoQ-10 with it because it depletes CoQ-10 levels in the body. Policosanol is another good product at 20 mg. a day, and definitely have him that oatmeal like it's candy.