©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

DNA Repair Supplement.

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I read the Scientific American article a couple days ago. Very interesting, but we still have to wait and see how the trials shake out. There have been countless drugs that had significant promise going into human trials, only to be abandoned for any number of reasons.

But, if I'm honest, the idea of this drug scares me. Human overpopulation is already believed to be past the tipping point by most scientists that study this sort of thing. Increasing longevity of humans through drugs can only add to the problem. The other concern is that drugs like this are commonly priced so exorbitantly that they could never be purchased by regular people like us. That would mean that only the super rich would have access to these drugs, which would be yet another way they would be able to separate themselves from the general populous. Not only would they be richer, but their money would buy them the drugs that would allow them to live longer and accumulate even greater wealth.

I don't wanna sound like I'm predicting some sort of dystopian Gatica type future, but I just like to acknowledge the possibilities of these type of scientific advancements.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I read the Scientific American article a couple days ago. Very interesting, but we still have to wait and see how the trials shake out. There have been countless drugs that had significant promise going into human trials, only to be abandoned for any number of reasons.

But, if I'm honest, the idea of this drug scares me. Human overpopulation is already believed to be past the tipping point by most scientists that study this sort of thing. Increasing longevity of humans through drugs can only add to the problem. The other concern is that drugs like this are commonly priced so exorbitantly that they could never be purchased by regular people like us. That would mean that only the super rich would have access to these drugs, which would be yet another way they would be able to separate themselves from the general populous. Not only would they be richer, but their money would buy them the drugs that would allow them to live longer and accumulate even greater wealth.

I don't wanna sound like I'm predicting some sort of dystopian Gatica type future, but I just like to acknowledge the possibilities of these type of scientific advancements.
I agree. I'm a huge believer in space exploration. We need to move on.
Love Gattica by the way. A movie way ahead of it's time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Just heard that Scientists in Australia will be conducting Human Trials. I don't want to live forever but Longevity has been an interest of mine for a long time. I just jumped on the metformin train this year. Interesting.

It's happening: Scientists can now reverse DNA ageing in mice - ScienceAlert

DNA repair discovery could lead to drugs to reverse ageing, fight cancer and help space travel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm into Longevity research myself,,this is quite interesting. Curious to hear how the Metformin has worked out for you?

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I'm into Longevity research myself,,this is quite interesting. Curious to hear how the Metformin has worked out for you?
I'll let you know. [emoji6] my glucose readings were borderline. I read so much about it and I couldn't find a reason not too. Seems like all animal and human studies show longer life. Like I said I don't necessarily want to live forever. I'm looking for quality. Besides. I don't think these things will have people living forever. Seems like all life is designed with the end in mind.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I'll let you know. [emoji6] my glucose readings were borderline. I read so much about it and I couldn't find a reason not too. Seems like all animal and human studies show longer life. Like I said I don't necessarily want to live forever. I'm looking for quality. Besides. I don't think these things will have people living forever. Seems like all life is designed with the end in mind.

I agree that it won't be something that keeps people alive indefinitely. But just suppose that it would increase overall life expectancy by 10%. That might not seem like much, at first. But for an average American male, that adding 7 years plus of average life span, putting average life span to about 80. There's roughly 150 million men in America. The math isn't hat complicated, I just don't have the desire to run the numbers at the moment. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it only takes a generation or 2 with unnaturally inflated life expectancies before things start to get out of hand.

Now if we apply that same scenario to the entire worlds population of 6 billion+ people, things get catastrophic quick, fast and in a hurry.

I promise, I'm not a doom and gloom, end of the world is nigh sort of person. But, there are always unintended consequences to any major scientific advancement, and the consequences of this one aren't hard to predict.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I see a new science fiction book in the making.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
This video is a quick visual descriptor of what I'm talking about.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QER6aOIEaOI[/ame]

Now imagine that we add 7 years to everyone's average life span. The median world population for almost all developed countries could easily push into the 60's within the same timeline.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I see a new science fiction book in the making.

In a lot of ways this was the plot of the movie "In Time." Not a good movie, but not terrible. It explored the same core concept, but with a slightly different mechanism for longevity.

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
Just my guess but there's a trade off coming because mortality will be cured by man at some point and the cost will be no more breeding or at very least it will be controlled to the point it's only done out of some necessity like moving off the planet for resources, colonization or what have you. But end of the day when mortality is cured and it will be, raising kids,free breeding ect will stop to avoid the overpopulation wether we want it or not...Progress might be slowed at first by the richest getting it but can't be stopped man is just to damn curious of a creature to leave any stone unturned

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Mortality cant be cured all things have to break down. Also with more people we would get crowded, more contact in a dense population virus grow faster and mutate quicker. Nature will always balance its self out. Fuck we just need a good war......see how much those commi college hipster douche bags are at starting a revolution with no guns!

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Mortality cant be cured all things have to break down. Also with more people we would get crowded, more contact in a dense population virus grow faster and mutate quicker. Nature will always balance its self out. Fuck we just need a good war......see how much those commi college hipster douche bags are at starting a revolution with no guns!

I agree. Physics says that nothing can be immortal, so people have to die. Immortality will never be a reality.

There's an interesting thought experiment about immortality, though. It says that if immortality becomes a reality, then the chance of a person becoming trapped in an inescapable position, like under a building or in a cave, and having to live out eternity trapped in that inescapable situation eventually becomes 100%. That's kind of a terrifying proposition.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I agree. Physics says that nothing can be immortal, so people have to die. Immortality will never be a reality.

There's an interesting thought experiment about immortality, though. It says that if immortality becomes a reality, then the chance of a person becoming trapped in an inescapable position, like under a building or in a cave, and having to live out eternity trapped in that inescapable situation eventually becomes 100%. That's kind of a terrifying proposition.

That beats cancer.....sounds like a greek tragedy LOL Just like Promethues

Attachments

• prometheus1-3804.jpg
    prometheus1-3804.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 14

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus

That's just physics as we currently understand it....And don't get me wrong you have just as good a chance at being right about immortality as anyone but there are a lot of different theoretically paths to immortality....proposed by guys alot more educated than me ....after all we are nothing more than computers of a sort whos to say at some point that we can't replace or repair everything that makes us us....But then again could the human mind handle that reality even for as long as a few hundred years let alone to the end of time....But I believe humans are capable of solving almost any problem its just a question of when and really mortality I don't think will be the one that stumps us.....But that's for time to tell

And me personally I love life enough with all its head aches included that I'll settle for 1000 years extra or even a year extra if I do have to die

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
I guess I should add that my idea of immortality and true immortality arnt actually the same thing. True immortality nothing except some extreme situation could end you... My meaning of immortality is the ability through repair, replacement , supplements ect keep yourself living as long as you want to...and there's a very good chance this will happen.. your body will still have needs to stay alive, that truth can never be beat. So with the being trapped situation you would run out of what was keeping you alive and end....So I do agree there's a limit to immortality but a form of it will likely be achieved