©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Protein powder as main protein source? Yes or no and why?

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
I'm thinking about giving up red meat and chicken for a while and going straight to powders only for my protein intake say 250 grams a day. I would like to try a vegan diet for a while to clean out my system and i was just curious if getting all of my muscle building protein needs from powders throughout the day would be as beneficial or close to as beneficial as eating chicken and meat. I'm also a bit concerned about my arteries and heart health because I keep reading things about how red meat clogs your arteries. I'm a veteran lifter but I always been a novice eater. I'm trying to take my nutrition to the next level, of course I've been trying to do this for many years and I find it when I try to do something I never accomplish it so I think I'm going to take Nike's slogan and just do it! All opinions and advice are welcome and respected and as always I thank you all for your time.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Prepare for the shits. I use to drink 7 protein shakes a day and I'd literally shit that many times a day as well. Buy plenty of baby wipes.

I have sense begin to eat more solid proteins and cut out the shakes to maybe 2-3 a day and its helped tremendously.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Don't forget the Micro nutrients provided by beef, chicken, fish, and eggs. If i were you at most I would switch to 50/50 whole foods/shakes and adjust from there.

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
You should check out the mountain dog diet, beef isn't bad for you in moderate amounts. Chicken, fish, lamb, pork, rabbit, venison all lean sources of protein.

Slate23

Aug 17, 2013
NorthWest
I upped my protein shakes once and I ended up getting hemrrhoids from shitting so much. I read that Christian Bale was a vegetarian when he trained for the movie American Psycho, so it seems to be possible to have a great build without meat. Lets us know how it works out for you

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
I upped my protein shakes once and I ended up getting hemrrhoids from shitting so much. I read that Christian Bale was a vegetarian when he trained for the movie American Psycho, so it seems to be possible to have a great build without meat. Lets us know how it works out for you

I love that movie lol I've noticed that some brands cause u to shit more. I'd order your protein through synthetek.

Bsn has always been crap and gave me the worst shits of any protein company.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I know a coach, a very good coach mind you, that asked for volunteers to be part of any experiment. It was to use only protein powder as your protein source. He coached everyone as he would normally, but only used protein powders. Of course, volunteers could opt out but they were getting free coaching. Everyone who did it and followed the plan achieved their goals of a certain body fat. I believe he added in extra fiber to shakes as well and preferred a multi species protein whey / egg / casein. He also suggested digestive enzymes, especially protease and lactase. A close friend did it and he looked incredible after 12 weeks and said he felt less bloated overall and said it simplified his life.

Another thing to check out is the velocity diet.. That also used mainly shakes

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
When most people have gastrointestinal issues from shakes it's because they are using whey protein and, believe it or not, almost everyone is lactose intolerant to some degree. When they start ingesting large amounts of whey they get to their tipping point with too much lactose and then the diarrhea starts. Switch to a non dairy protein and I'm sure all of you could drink gallons of it a day with no problem.

As far as going vegan, not a fan. There's some weird misconception that it's somehow healthier or more pure than eating meat, and it's just not true. The human body was meant to eat meat. We specifically evolved the ability to eat and digest flesh based protein for a reason. You have canine and inscisor teeth for a reason. You find the taste of animal fat massively appealing for a reason. You were meant to eat it.

Humanity only started eating cereal grains roughly 8-10 thousand years ago, depending on who's estimate you look at. And there has been a well documented downturn in mankinds overall makeup since we started eating grains. Shorter average height, worsening dental health, increased bodyfat, more incidences of disease and pandemics, and overall worse health.

Meat based diets really are healthier, but as with all things in life, moderation is key.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
When most people have gastrointestinal issues from shakes it's because they are using whey protein and, believe it or not, almost everyone is lactose intolerant to some degree. When they start ingesting large amounts of whey they get to their tipping point with too much lactose and then the diarrhea starts. Switch to a non dairy protein and I'm sure all of you could drink gallons of it a day with no problem.

As far as going vegan, not a fan. There's some weird misconception that it's somehow healthier or more pure than eating meat, and it's just not true. The human body was meant to eat meat. We specifically evolved the ability to eat and digest flesh based protein for a reason. You have canine and inscisor teeth for a reason. You find the taste of animal fat massively appealing for a reason. You were meant to eat it.

Humanity only started eating cereal grains roughly 8-10 thousand years ago, depending on who's estimate you look at. And there has been a well documented downturn in mankinds overall makeup since we started eating grains. Shorter average height, worsening dental health, increased bodyfat, more incidences of disease and pandemics, and overall worse health.

Meat based diets really are healthier, but as with all things in life, moderation is key.

I never thought of it like that, but as previously stated certain companies proteins have had worse effects than others.

Slate23

Aug 17, 2013
NorthWest
If I would ever become vegetarian it would be more for animal cruelty reasons than the health aspect. Even though with the way we raise livestock in this country, I think one can make a solid case that vegatarian could be healthier way to go (maybe fish as the only animal protein). And if someone is lactose intolerant switch over to Whey Isolate. It's usually around 99% lactose free

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation

Some protein powders that are of higher quality have zero to very trace lactose, even their whey isolates. I do feel that shakes (particularly whey) tend to have a faster transit time than whole foods.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013

Did you just refer to Christian Bale in American Psycho as having a "great build"?!?!?!?

Damn- I don't know what to say...

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
And to stay on topic here-

I used to consume around 50% of my protein intake from quality whey.. Now I'm almost 100% whole foods minus 20g of whey post workout..

I've put on more mass since switching to whole foods than I ever did when using a lot of whey. I eat around 3lbs of meat per day ... Expensive but worth it.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Did you just refer to Christian Bale in American Psycho as having a "great build"?!?!?!?

Damn- I don't know what to say...

LMAO!

And to go off what big john write, you need to think about micro nutrients... the health benefits matter and whole food has thing protein powders do not

boyd1on

Sep 23, 2013
id rather hear you say your cutting out protein powders and only eating whole protein sources, remember the more solid food you eat the more solid you will be , dairy is junk bro pure n simple full of allergens pus n blood, anibiotics,hormones etc pure junk i have about 1 protein shake a week and its pure organic grass fed whey, OR hemp protein the most natural forms are most recognizable by our bodies. just a thought man

swolesearcher

AnaSCI VET
May 31, 2013
I know a coach, a very good coach mind you, that asked for volunteers to be part of any experiment. It was to use only protein powder as your protein source. He coached everyone as he would normally, but only used protein powders. Of course, volunteers could opt out but they were getting free coaching. Everyone who did it and followed the plan achieved their goals of a certain body fat. I believe he added in extra fiber to shakes as well and preferred a multi species protein whey / egg / casein. He also suggested digestive enzymes, especially protease and lactase. A close friend did it and he looked incredible after 12 weeks and said he felt less bloated overall and said it simplified his life.

Another thing to check out is the velocity diet.. That also used mainly shakes

very interesting!
i`m now eating almost 100% of my proteins from whole food and i just take 30 gr of whey post workout, but yes i think you can still have the same benefits of whole food IF your protein source it`s legit.