©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

New Jersey creates High School Steroid Task Force

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
......and more of your hard earned tax dollars WASTED! :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2111624

Updated: July 19, 2005, 2:53 PM ET
Gov. Codey: Steroid use is 'public health crisis'

Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. -- Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey signed an executive order Tuesday creating a task force to study steroid use in the state's high schools.

An avid sports fan and youth basketball coach, Codey identified steroid use among student athletes as "an emergent public health crisis," and said his order puts New Jersey at the forefront of addressing it.

"Sports teach about teamwork and fellowship, leadership and discipline, and good clean competition," Codey said. "Steroid use, however, is threatening this safe outlet."

Codey's order authorizes the task force to study the scope of the steroid problem and to develop a statewide policy.

The acting governor plans to evaluate the task force's findings before signing a bill on random testing of student athletes for drug use. Random drug testing is allowed in New Jersey schools, but the legislation would provide uniform guidelines for districts implementing drug testing programs and would limit actions schools could take when students test positive or refuse to be tested.

Sen. Nicholas Sacco, a Hudson County Democrat and a school administrator who sponsored the legislation sitting on Codey's desk, said he applauded the governor's commitment to tackling the problem of steroid abuse in schools.

The task force includes Sports Illustrated writer Peter King, Rider University athletic trainer Timothy Lengle, orthopedic surgeon Dr. Timothy Hosea, and Lisa Brady, a Hunterdon County school administrator who helped develop one of the first student drug testing policies in the country.

The task force has until Dec. 1 to submit its report.

P

pincrusher

im gonna disagree with ya on this a little tee, im glad they are finally doing something that will directly address the usage of steroids by kids. all these congressional hearings are a waste of money because they accomplish nothing when it comes to the goal of stopping kids from using, if anything the congressional hearings caused more kids to start using based on the amount of kids i have seen getting on the various message boards asking about how to use, where to get etc.
like i have stated in the past, the only way to stop steroid use in the schools is to start testing of all atheletes. at least this study will directly involve the kids and may get more accurate info than all the B.S. being slung around in congress.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I see your point, but we never had a problem before steroids became a controlled substance and in the media spot light. Now everyone wants them from kids to adults. I just dont feel steroids are that serious of a problem, even with kids. If they need to spend our cash, I would rather they spend it on keeping them off heroine, crack, cocaine, LSD, etc.

P

pincrusher

tee said:
I see your point, but we never had a problem before steroids became a controlled substance and in the media spot light. Now everyone wants them from kids to adults. I just dont feel steroids are that serious of a problem, even with kids. If they need to spend our cash, I would rather they spend it on keeping them off heroine, crack, cocaine, LSD, etc.
yeah your right, there are more serious things kids are doing than steroids. what i would like to see is somehow they make the parents more responsible for their kids behavior. right now the parents can jst push the blame off on everything else and they dont seem to be held accountable at all for their kids behavior. maybe the parents should sit in "time-out" for a spell LOL

the story above was so obvious that the kid was using based on the way they talked about how he was getting so much bigger and more ripped yet they never even questioned it with him?

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Have you seen that Taylor Hooten kids web site? His parents blame steroids for his death as well. I have yet to see a photo of the kid weighing over 100 pounds soaking wet though.
I agree, these parents need to accept some responsibility for their kids. Everyone always wants to place the blame elsewhere.

P

pincrusher

yeah i have spent some time at the taylor hooten site. i also watched when they gave their statements at the steroid hearings in congress. it is all just a bunch of parents who want to blame everything other then their lack of staying informed about their kids activities. makes me wonder just how hard the father pushed taylor to become a great baseball player? didnt the issue of trying to please ones parents ever come into the equation? alot of kids are so driven by their parents that they will do anything to please them.

Kibbles

Aug 5, 2005
pincrusher said:
yeah i have spent some time at the taylor hooten site. i also watched when they gave their statements at the steroid hearings in congress. it is all just a bunch of parents who want to blame everything other then their lack of staying informed about their kids activities. makes me wonder just how hard the father pushed taylor to become a great baseball player? didnt the issue of trying to please ones parents ever come into the equation? alot of kids are so driven by their parents that they will do anything to please them.

There should really be parenting licenses... I'm 100% serious.

Little Man

Jul 17, 2005
somewhere, US
i feel that no younger people shouldnt do it. but if they do start testing that would make me not want to play sports in school. I do think that the regular drug problem are really with coke and glass... especially her in az. i swear everyone gets high here its pretty terrible. so to me steriods is the smallest problem in the drug world. i would say other drugs are way more dangerous and easier to get.