©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Lower traps (HELP)

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
My middle back and lower traps are weak in comparison to the rest of my back. How can I zero in on this part of my back? Obviously, if I knew I wouldn't have this issue........

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
My middle back and lower traps are weak in comparison to the rest of my back. How can I zero in on this part of my back? Obviously, if I knew I wouldn't have this issue........

With me...I find that T-Bar rows seem to hit this area best.

Here is an exercise to try. Superset an upright row...but with your hands behind your back with a T-bar row.

The upright row will feel awkward at first, but pull up as far as you can. Of course you wont get the same range of motion as a standard upright row....but this will really target the lower traps.

Do a set of these...and then go into a T-Bar row. I like to do mine with my palms facing me. I retract my scapula after I hoist the weight...then bang out my reps.

These pump up the middle area of my back like nothing else.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Good stuff brother. I'll do this the next time I'm on back. Don't know about the behind the back. My rotator cuffs are a mess from training for ever.

Thank you.

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
Good stuff brother. I'll do this the next time I'm on back. Don't know about the behind the back. My rotator cuffs are a mess from training for ever.

Thank you.
One thing you could try is doing them in a Smith Machine setup if you have one. This takes some stress off of the rotator cuff since the machine balances the bar. You just unrack, step forward, and row. Play with wide and narrow grips to find what feels best. You don't have to have a huge range of motion for it to be effective....I think the backs of my arm barely hit parallel when I row up!

Also with the tbar rows...try pulling to your mid chest area. That works my mid back. If I pull to a lower area, it hits my lower lats!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
I found using a machine similar to a standing calf raise for shrugs allowed me a greater range of motion with very heavy weights. The quads were no longer in the way or causing a drag. Having my hands for support out in front allowed more stability as well.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Buck, I have done those many times before. But for me they only hit my upper traps witch I have no problems with. But thanks.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
CC, I've never done a 10sec count on anything. For me to be doing that with rows I'll be training with 25lbs on each side. lol I've been doing BB rows for ever. Noy much going on for me there. I've been watching vids about making the mind muscle connection. MD has a few great ones for this.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Try dumbbell shrugs, bent forward at a slight angle, about 15-20 degrees. Use your off hand to support yourself against an upright bench or the dumbbell rack. Hold the contraction for at least a slow 3 count. Make sure your arm is still hanging straight down from your with no bend at the elbow.

saps

Donating Member
Apr 2, 2013
CG an exercise I use to hit that zone you are talking about is where I go to the lat pulldown machine, stand in front of it, grab the handle medium wide, brace one leg against the seat with the other leg obviously on the ground and then kinda like doing a face pull. Only instead of pulling the bar to the face pull it to chest. When the starting position of the bar slightly above the forehead and the ending position the chest the kinetic angle mandates that the lower traps, teres, rhomboids and rear delts will do a lot of the work. I need to not use a very heavy weight either but instead one that pumps me up more so a 15 rep range or so. Also if you go too heavy then balance can be an issue too. Give it a try. A normal face pull will have some benefit as well but I like this lower angle for the hands near the chest instead of the face for hitting that zone.

aDw

Feb 26, 2018
imo nothing compared to heavy deadlifts/rack pulls in terms of lower traps development

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
ADW, Welcome to AnaSci Bro! Honestly I can't keep up with all the new members any more. Sure is good to see all the new sign ups!

I've been doing heavy rack pulls for a few years now. I can't do deads any more so I do the racks from about four inches below the knees.

heavy hitter

Mar 18, 2006
Incline bench dumbbell shrugs and prone rows really hammer this area for me. You an do shrugs on a t bar row machine as well and hit that area pretty good

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Going to try a few of these...Always been a weak point of mine!

rmtt

Donating Member
Jul 31, 2007
CG an exercise I use to hit that zone you are talking about is where I go to the lat pulldown machine, stand in front of it, grab the handle medium wide, brace one leg against the seat with the other leg obviously on the ground and then kinda like doing a face pull. Only instead of pulling the bar to the face pull it to chest. When the starting position of the bar slightly above the forehead and the ending position the chest the kinetic angle mandates that the lower traps, teres, rhomboids and rear delts will do a lot of the work. I need to not use a very heavy weight either but instead one that pumps me up more so a 15 rep range or so. Also if you go too heavy then balance can be an issue too. Give it a try. A normal face pull will have some benefit as well but I like this lower angle for the hands near the chest instead of the face for hitting that zone.
I like doing these as well. Especially as a finishing exercise. Like you said....higher reps are key and really focus on squeezing that area hard.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Maybe I should post a pic of my back and you guys can put a back routine together for me? If anyone laughs at the old man I'll brake down and cry so be nice.

montego

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2018
Mid Shrug.

Use a chest supported t bar row with the neutral grip handles and preform a shrug in that position.

Really hits the upper mid back. You can use DB too like this variation.

https://youtu.be/U2IzzhE1dbQ

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
The lighting isn't that favorable, There really is a little more going on than the pic would have you believe. I drew a line around the area I need to target. But obviously I need more back everywhere. Bring on the training program guys!

IMG_0160.jpg