©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Idiotic point of view

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
I read this article from a student at FSU about steroids. How uneducated can one be about a topic and write as if he knows everything about the subject.

Looking good: Now or later?

by Brendan Murphy
September 09, 2004

Even with all the known side effects of steroid use, people continue to use steroids for both athletic and superficial purposes.

"I think it's a problem across the board, not just at FSU," said Dan Moore, health educator at Thagard Student Health Center. "They're being taken much more than we could ever imagine, but there are not many stats to back this up. People who do steroids will never admit to it. Steroids are hush-hush, undercover, like a secret society."

Steroids -- also known as gym candy, pumpers, stackers, A's, anabolics, roids, balls, bulls and juice -- have many known side effects, including cancer, liver damage, limb loss, heart disease/heart attack, baldness, HIV/AIDS, pain/difficulty urinating, and stunted growth in adolescents.

"Since 1991, steroid use has risen 50 percent among eighth and 10th grade students," Moore said. "(Steroid) use has also risen 38 percent among 12th graders. This is scary; that's young."

The aforementioned side effects should cause concern, but other side effects related to gender are also present.

"Steroids are related to the sex hormone," Moore said. "For guys, they de-masculinize, for women, they de-feminize."

Side effects particular to women include the development of male attributes -- deep voice and facial hair -- as well as infertility, smaller breasts, a stopped menstrual cycle, and clitoral enlargement.

For men, side effects include shrunken testes, reduced sperm count, an enlarged prostate, impotence, and irreversible breast enlargements, also known as "man boobs." The medical term for man boobs is gynecomastia.

"I would think that 'man boobs' would make some people think twice about steroids," Moore said. "This is not the case."

The facts are there. Steroids cause men to go limp and grow boobs and they cause women to go bald and grow an unnecessarily large clitoris. But why do people continue to use steroids?

"There are so many different reasons," Moore said. "If Derek Jeter hits five more home runs this year that means he will probably receive an extra million in his next contract. Or look at the speculation surrounding Barry Bonds. What if he became the greatest home run hitter of all time because of steroids? This is where the athlete motivation comes from -- to gain an edge.

But what about people who use steroids for reasons other than an athletic edge?

"For others, steroids simply make you look good," Moore said. "They make you lose weight, look strong and

give you that desired six-pack. In today's society these things have become real important. But steroids also provide a rush, which becomes addictive. You crave the rush, physically and psychologically. This is why most people take steroids intravenously, because it hits them quicker, right before they go to the gym."

Intravenously injecting steroids is primarily the reason for HIV/Aids being a side effect of usage, as many steroid users share needles. Not only does sharing needles cause HIV/AIDS, but also:

"Studies show some cases where sharing needles inflames the inner lining of your heart, which can be deadly," Moore said.

Sharing needles is clearly dangerous, and a common misconception is that steroids taken orally are cause for less concern.

"Steroids are illegal, so they're often made in cheap labs and the grade is really low," Moore said. "Who knows who made it? Most steroids are made in Mexico where they're legal. But a lot of the time someone's making steroids in a basement somewhere. You never know what you're going to get. It's like cocaine and heroine, you never know what you're going to get."

When comparing steroids to cocaine and heroine one would hope that users would be motivated to change their ways, but unfortunately, because of the addictive nature of steroids, people have difficulty fighting the addiction on their own.

We see steroids on campus everyday: How about the Leach Center where massive men with garden hose veins throw weights around and grunt. Steroids are more common than ever, and they need to be eliminated not only because of the personal damage they cause, but also the damage they cause to others.

"If you want to screw yourself up that's one thing, but when you effect other people's lives when you 'roid rage,' that's the worst part," Moore said.

If you or a loved one are being affected by steroids, help is available on campus at the Student Counseling Center by calling 644-2003.

Just remember:

"You can achieve these things naturally, it just takes longer," Moore said. "Steroids are the fast answer, but the backlash is hardcore."

TopGun

Jan 12, 2005
Total lack of knowledge about the subject............This guy just cut and paste an article.........sucks

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Robin Hood said:
This guy is a student :)

But nonetheless it's the lack of knowledge like this that not only this guy shares that prompted bush to do the ban of steroids last year. He put steroids in the same category as cocaine and metaphetmines.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
oracle said:
But nonetheless it's the lack of knowledge like this that not only this guy shares that prompted bush to do the ban of steroids last year. He put steroids in the same category as cocaine and metaphetmines.
Its the same as taking an aspirin.....take 2, and you will heal....drink the whole box, and you will die....same thing with steroids

recess

Nov 16, 2004
The Classroom
I had vet who takes care of my goldfish install a screw in knozzle into my main artery on the left side of my neck, that way I don't have to worry about sharing a needle.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
LMAO. I read that article like 6 months ago over at another board. Everyone went over to the FSU webpage and flamed the kid and complained to the FSU administration about the total misinformation in the article. What a fucking dumbshit kid. I would like to choke him out.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
I liked this qoute the best!

"This is why most people take steroids intravenously, because it hits them quicker, right before they go to the gym." :sniper: :(

W

wolfyEVH

heavy said:
LMAO. I read that article like 6 months ago over at another board. Everyone went over to the FSU webpage and flamed the kid and complained to the FSU administration about the total misinformation in the article. What a fucking dumbshit kid. I would like to choke him out.

if i'm not mistaken, rick collins went over there and flamed his ass on the site

P

pincrusher

that article was not written by a student. it was in fact written by a professor at FSU. there was such a huge response from people on their site condemning him for writing an article without proper knowledge. heck even william llewellyn, a well known writer of steroid books went to the FSU website and trashed the professor about his article. i also believe that author l rhea also resonded on their site about the professor.
worse thing about it was the fact that it was so ill informed that he was actually suggesting intravenous injection of steroids, something EVERYONE knows not to do. tragedy of the story is that there will be some stupid kid out there who will actually believe the article and inject them intravenously and kill himself but the steroids will be blames not the stupid professor who wrote the article suggesting a totally wrong way to use them.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
pincrusher said:
that article was not written by a student. it was in fact written by a professor at FSU.

actually i believe the article was written by a student because it showed his pic and grade avg 2.8. But the professor is the one that the student was interviewing.

P

pincrusher

dpac207 said:
:wtf: thats pretty pathic for a proffesor to write such unresearched bullshit
yes it was but unfrtunately some of them think that because of their position as a professor, people will belive anything they say and they dont bother doing the research to find the truth. they use rumor mills and such for info all the time

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
wolfyEVH said:
I recognize so many of those names from boards I visit.

Ocassionally a student will visit our site or others I visit in an attempt to gather information about doing a similar paper.

My stance is. This is an underground movement for a reason. Let's not provide them any information that they or the government can use against us.

P

pincrusher

oracle said:
actually i believe the article was written by a student because it showed his pic and grade avg 2.8. But the professor is the one that the student was interviewing.
yeah your right. the professor was the one talking and the poor kid was just writing what he was hearing. still puts the blame on the professor and the newspaper for giving such bad info and allowing it to be printed.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
pincrusher said:
yeah your right. the professor was the one talking and the poor kid was just writing what he was hearing. still puts the blame on the professor and the newspaper for giving such bad info and allowing it to be printed.

Especially coming from someone as educated as a professor. For those who don't know or won't care to research on their own...the professor's words are as good as gold. And unfortunatly no one will ever discredit him and believe his nonsense.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
oracle said:
And unfortunatly no one will ever discredit him and believe his nonsense.
I don't know. Did you see the responses? There were a bunch of bodybuilding board moderators and even some doctors who discredited him. What does that tell you? Sometimes a guy with a high school diploma and a lot of experience can be smarter than someone with a doctorate degree hanging on his wall.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
DragonRider said:
I don't know. Did you see the responses? There were a bunch of bodybuilding board moderators and even some doctors who discredited him. What does that tell you? Sometimes a guy with a high school diploma and a lot of experience can be smarter than someone with a doctorate degree hanging on his wall.

I'm speaking of the law makers and the people at the top of the totem pole...Those are the one's that make the most impact...and their the one's to agree more on the side of ignorance.

P

pincrusher

oracle said:
I'm speaking of the law makers and the people at the top of the totem pole...Those are the one's that make the most impact...and their the one's to agree more on the side of ignorance.
politicians will always agree with the side that benefits their cause and in this case it would be the stupid professor.
unfortuantely they use this kind of info when having their meetings to determine the fate of all of us average joes out there. i have yet to figure out how steroids in sports is such a big deal as to be included in the presidents state of the union speach but im sure it will be in the next one also in a week. dont we have more important things for our newsreporters to do like question why the government is trying to prevent pictures of the coffins coming back from iraq from being shown in the papers or on tv. the more they are shown the more the reality will set in that we are in a war that has absolutely no benefit to us and is only getting more and more military members killed for nothing.
so far the guard and reserve recuiting is down over 30% i guess you could say that this shows the peoples approval of the war.