©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dad lost 15% body weight in a week???

KILLA

Banned
Feb 25, 2005
My dad called me last week saying he has been sick for a couple of weeks and finally went to the doctor. He has not been able to catch his breath. He was referred to a cardiologist and turns out he is having circulatory problems due to either collapsed arteries or clots. He is having a heart catheterization next Tuesday to find the probs and put in stints or determine the next action. Freaking terrible. He is stubborn as heck and he is lucky he got checked-out. He waited 2 weeks!

Anyways, I have not physically seen him in a couple of months and I went to the dr. with him yesterday. When I walked in, he was all shriveled up. I said something to him about it and he said the nurse told him he was 113 lbs yesterday, and was 134 lbs one week ago at his prior visit. The nurse or the doctor did not seem too concerned and said it was from the diurectic they had him on and it was just water weight he had lost. 21 lbs in a week of water? When he was only 134 to start out with????? At the end of the visit, the dr. came back in and took the diurectic out of his bag and threw it away and said he did not need it anymore. I guess the dr. was concerned after all , but just did not want to make a big deal. The dr. said he was doing better than the week before, I just hope he was telling the truth.

I did not catch the name of the med, but has anyone heard of anything that makes you shed 15% of your weight in a week? Seems like that would make it harder on your heart than anything, not having water to lube your arteries and heart.

Champ24

Mar 4, 2005
He was probably on Lasix (Furosemide). Losing water makes it easier on your heart since there is less volume in your veins. The more volume in your circulatory system, the harder the heart has to pump to actually get all of the blood moving.

KILLA

Banned
Feb 25, 2005
Champ24 said:
He was probably on Lasix (Furosemide). Losing water makes it easier on your heart since there is less volume in your veins. The more volume in your circulatory system, the harder the heart has to pump to actually get all of the blood moving.

You know, I think that is the stuff. I glanced at the bottle and that sounds like the stuff.

That makes a little sense to me, but he was little to start with. I guess I have to trust the dr. since I have no clue in this area.

Thanks.

BIGENUFF

Mar 24, 2005
The diuretic given was furosemide. It was given for the circulatory failure and probable cause of pulmonary edema. Also to avoid the lungs from holding fluid. The weight loss is due to the water. He will probably be put on Nesiritide (natrecor) and Dopamine (intropin) they are probably already running a nasal or IV or nitroglycerine they will restrict sodium and fluids. It is usually good to allow legs to hang from bed for circulation. I hope you find him a good cardiologist, I will tell you personally hospitals suck. I recently just had a bad Exp for myself. Best wishes to you and your Pops. Keep his mental up positive things strengthen the brain. Words like Love you Dad are important!!! Keep his mind strong Super.