©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Cardio? Who the hell does it?

Lavey

Jan 5, 2015
I get floored when I talk with guys and they're telling me they're doing hours of cardio ramping up to a show. MINIMIZE cardio folks - at least the type of bullshit cardio you do on a treadmill or elliptical.

Okay, this will fly in the face of most contest prep... Don't do any cardio when you start prep - just a simple low intensity "cool down" if you wish of 10 minutes after workouts.

Let the diet do it's magic. Then after two weeks, add in short intervals 2 times per week (I prefer sprints - 60 to 100 meter sprints/ 20 rounds. Sprint, walk back, repeat.)

When competitors cut Calories and increase cardio, they just create more stress in the body (unneeded stress which in turn increases cortisol). Doesn't matter if someone's using cortisol blockers either.

Of course, based on the actual diet setup, I may recommend long slow cardio on low carb days, but even then, this would only be 2 times per week.

Everyone may respond differently, but a hell of a lot of competitors can come in hard and tight doing a lot less cardio. Many people do excess cardio in panic because they don't really trust their diet.

Think about this - you'll burn what, say 300 Calories at a low intensity 30-45 min session? Do this instead. EAT 300 Calories less and hyper dose yourself with vitamins/nutrients - you'll be better off.

Not many coaches do it this way or use that mentality. Well, there's on of the "secrets" on how I do things. You'll have more time from not doing so much damn cardio) to cook and prepare meals and spend quality time with your family and friends.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
This. I barely have to do anything early on when my diet's doing the driving. I'll do fasted (with BCAAs) cardio for maybe 20 minutes, intervals on the step mill. I watch so many people in the gym, month after month practically living on the treadmills, elliptical, recumbent bikes and guess what - they never change their physiques. My only guess is their diets are just a mess. But I'm in my hoodie/cocoon getting peeled and sleeping a lot more than they are!
Great post man!

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I'm in 100% agreement. I've always found if your diet is spot on, very little cardio is needed. The only cardio I ever do when dieting is when I run frag, and even then I walk or do Bulgarian bag/heavy bag tabata style for 2-4 minute rounds. Plus cardio becomes less effective the more you do it, so use it sparingly.

Last edited:

jack3d14

Mar 6, 2015
I see your point but there are other benefits to cardio other than weight loss. Gotta keep that heart muscle strong!

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013
My cardio is walking on treadmill at an incline of 11.5 progressing up to 14.0, I increase it a 1/2 every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. Only 4 days a week, I don't do this after leg workout.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I just fuck my girl friend harder.... TEST SUSP FTW

Attachments

• a6eeb14aa4f7426812f58525e1972405a9ea38e8e543a0f7eb28a482402a91f0.jpg
    a6eeb14aa4f7426812f58525e1972405a9ea38e8e543a0f7eb28a482402a91f0.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 73

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
The only cardio I have ever done for a show is half hour of flexing posing and jump on trampoline for 10 mins or so good for shitting

rangerjockey

Donating Member
Jan 16, 2014
Island life
I do cardio periodically, for example days I'm off the iron and I still feel like working out. I do enjoy the feeling when I am done. I will mix it up, bike rides with the lady (she is an ironman/Tri athalon) or jog a bit. Of course She will ride 60+ miles, I back out at 20 or so and turn around. Jogging? Jesus! 3-4 miles thats it. Who the hell likes jogging? Fu^% that crap. LOL. Of course she runs some var so she is a buffed Tri lady. Sorry, talking to much.

cybrsage

May 1, 2015
I do cardio when I hit a plateau during a cut - I do not want to drop the calories too low and therefor I need to increase how many I burn. 20 mins at 135bpm heart rate 3 times a week does well for me.

It also increases my endurance. As a note, I do not do contests, I am doing this lifestyle for physical fitness and simply because I want to look my best as I age.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Since I can only work out during the week, I do mountain hiking for a few hours every weekend at a pace that gets my heart rate up and had me panting a bit. I figure that works out my legs more AND throws some cardio in...

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I do cardio after weight training for 20-30 minutes keeping my heart rate in the fat burning zone. Do I have to? Probably not but it burns extra calories so I can eat a little more through the day and more then anything I use the time to listen to music

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012
I do cardio after weight training for 20-30 minutes keeping my heart rate in the fat burning zone. Do I have to? Probably not but it burns extra calories so I can eat a little more through the day and more then anything I use the time to listen to music
I do the same thing. I figure I'm already sweating . May as well.