©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Can probiotics cause severe gas and bloating?

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
I have had ibs c for years. Severe bloating, constipation, and distension. I recently took rifaximin antibiotics to wipe out bad bacteria and it worked, 2 days later I took an 80 billion probiotic and got severely bloated and constipated. I am also taking OIL of Oregano, neem, berberine, and tumeric. Does anyone have any recommendations for healing the gut and combating constipation? Also do probiotics cause gas?

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
I very gone primarily paleo for the past 2 weeks, lost 12 pounds, I still eat a little bread, oats, quinoa.....

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Yes they cause gas.
Constipation take an herbal stool softener. Takes awhile to kick in about week.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Also do probiotics cause gas?

Yes, they can. Especially if your gut flora was particularly out of whack, they can cause some issues for a few days. Once the good bacteria begin to grow, proliferate, and the good bacteria become dominant the sides usually go away. It's natural to have some digestive distress as your body adapts to new flora and finds a healthier state of homeostasis. The worse your gut flora is, the more pronounced the issues can be.

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
Yes, they can. Especially if your gut flora was particularly out of whack, they can cause some issues for a few days. Once the good bacteria begin to grow, proliferate, and the good bacteria become dominant the sides usually go away. It's natural to have some digestive distress as your body adapts to new flora and finds a healthier state of homeostasis. The worse your gut flora is, the more pronounced the issues can be.
I just took Xifaxan 550 which is a 1000$ antibiotic that insurance doesn't cover, the idea is that it wipes out all the bacteria and I guess you have to start fresh, for the small intestine bacterial overgrowth this drug is very healthy, I just don't know how to go about healing the gut. I am using l-glutamine as I hear that helps with the intestinal lining. And I'm guessing 80 billion CFU probiotic was too much

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
Ask your Dr about Linzess. I know several people on it and it's been a life changer for them.
Linzess: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects - Drugs.com
Any chance my TRT 100-300 MG OF TEST WEEKLY is bothering my gut. Also I quit opiates this week after 5 years of daily use for pain management? I hear opiates are bad and stall the intestinal movement peristalsis