©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

building mass

swollen

Feb 10, 2006
contrary to what alot of bodybuilders say, I have found that using lighter weight and doing more reps like 10-15 gives me alot more of a pump, and was wondering if you could build good mass and strength doing lighter weight more reps vs. heavy weight less reps. After all the more pump the more blood, the more blood the more muscle, right?

MaSTa LifTa

Apr 29, 2005
i think a somewhat lighter weight helps me so i can keep my form really good. if i bench really heavy i tend to get more delts and tris into it to help get the weight up which doesnt help develop the pecs, but with a light weight i can really concentrate on using my chest to get the weight up.

swollen

Feb 10, 2006
Yeah I know what you mean, my motto for myself is to never sacrifice form for weight. I see guys in the gym trying to lift as much as possible to prove something i guess but their form is terrible. I think that hinders a balanced development.

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
I think the key is to mix it up every 10 weeks or so. I change my program every 10 weeks to hit the same muscles differently with either better form or worse form, with higher reps or lower reps, with partials or full range. I'm always sore at the beginning of the transition between programs. The body gets used to whatever you are doing after a few weeks.

mandarb11

Oct 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
I agree with Andrew you cannot specifically say "this will get you huge" as no matter what method of training you do your body will adapt to it and your progress will stagnate. By constantly fluctuating your workouts it will keep the body guessing and hence responding. A general rule of thumb though is heavy weights and low reps equals large muscles. This is simply because in order to constantly adapt to heavier poundages, the body must grow bigger and stronger. Lighter weights and high reps I have found have never done much for growth (at least after you have been training for awhile) but are necessary to work the long and short muscle fibres. I have never seen a huge guy emerge from working with light weights. In fact there is a guy I know who has been training for years, weighs about 220 at 5' 9'', he is a good size but he has been on juice for years and never changes. I have noticed that he never lifts heavy, so I asked him why. His excuse was he has injuries everywhere and cannot lift heavy any longer. He says he has been stuck at the same weight for years! Now when he achieved all his gains he used to lift heavy. Do the two go together, well try it yourself and you will know. I know I never grow much from high reps, but I sure explode from lifting heavy! I look at it this way, rep ranges from 1 - 4 are mostly for strength (powerlifters like this range) 5 - 8 combine heavy lifts with higher rep range for strength and mass (say 60 - 80% of your max) and 9 to 15 are for definition training and endurance. Now this is how my body responds but I think this would be a accurate rep range for most!