©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

How much $ per month to be National competitor

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Any one ever figure what it cost per month to become or stay a National competitor in the NPC?

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
I'm sure there's a few around who are and maybe they'll give you a ballpark number otherwise its just speculation

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
It's all going to be speculation no matter what. Everyone is different, everyone responds to different amounts of gear and different compounds in unique ways. Guys who are naturally leaner than others may not need to spend as much on GH as guys that naturally put on fat easier.

Questions like this are stupid. Either you're willing to make the monetary and personal sacrifice that it takes, or you aren't. You can't take what those guys achieve and quantify it monetarily. Trying to do so marginalizes what they've had to do to achieve the success that they have earned.

It's just like asking "how much gear do pros really use?". No one ever believes they answer they get, even if it is the honest truth.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Mabie I should have put what do you your self spend to to stay at national level - stupid question is a little harsh - mabie silly.
I know what it took me 10 years ago just to stay in the top 10 in middle weight - I am going to do heavy weight this time around I'd I can stay together
Just on protein, BCA's, Digestive emzines, vitamins and minerals - over $200 pr month
Food was easy $3 to $500 pr month w/ all the eggs, chicken, fish, lean ass yummy stake and buffalo, brown Basmati rice, Ezekiel bread at over $4.00 per loaf, Almond butter, natural peanut butter and so on
Not even counting the juice at all
I would love to know what other people spend

Last edited:

robertscott

Dec 17, 2012
I don't think it's a stupid question. It'd be quite interesting to hear some guys who compete at high level's expenditure on AAS and GH. Obviously different people use different amounts but it'd be interesting all the same.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
I really did word it wrong - Lil sully has it right there - but it is pretty cool to see what it costs to compete
I my self didn't do growth or peps - just juice - and I got it so cheep back then that I never added up that part

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Between aas, PEPs, HGH, and slin alone you're looking at hefty price but if that's your goal and you cab afford all that more power to you brother. Alone on food I'm looking at a few hundred a week but I work on the road so its a little harder than someone who can buy in bulk. And its not a stupid question there's no such thing as a stupid question to fill yourself with knowledge. Now that being said people asking the same repetitive questions over and over different ways is. Can't fix stupid. But asking a question might help another bro on here if we could just get the newbies to use the search feature.

Derek7X

Banned
Dec 20, 2013
I can give you an answer straight from the horses mouth of 2 different people that became ifbb pro bodybuilders, they're both under 23 years old btw. They don't know exact numbers of everything combined but...they do know this:

The Pharm GH was about $8500 for the year, and that's with the ridiculously amazing source we know. If it was any other source we see, it would have been at least $13,000.

The injectable and oral anabolics(test,deca,dbol,anadrol,tren,mast,etc) comes out to around $2,500 a year. Once again, if it was another source like the ones most people use, add at least $1,000 minimum.

They don't use insulin or peptides...yet...so no answer for that.

The food is approximately $4,500-5,000 a year, give or take 500ish, they don't count but they say it's definetly between 400-600 a month.

They only entered local competitions and never left the state, they don't know how much they spent on all that, they would say it was probably under $1,500 for the year.

So between the GH,Anabolics,Food,and Competition Costs....approximately $17,000-$18,000. If they used the prices that most people get on gear, it would have definetly come out to near $25,000 for the year or higher.

If there was insulin and peptides in there, it would have been higher. If they were high-tier IFBB pros rather than just young guys that just got their pro card, it would have been much higher.

So the money it costs per year for them to become an IFBB Pro :

$17-$18k

The money it would cost for most others assuming they had exact same genetics,training,diet,protocol,etc(which is impossible):

$23-25k

PS,keep in mind,both of them went from zero to hero very quickly. They didn't hold back or wait many years slowly tapering up gear use or cycle doses....they went all out and got there relatively quickly (both under 6-8 years of training, 3-5 years of gear)

Last edited:

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
I read some were I think it was lee haney back in the day said if you dont have atleast 100,000 a year to spend on gear and supplements dont bother showing up for Mr O... I remember it because the number shocked the hell out of me at the time. The cost both financially physically mentally to be a real competitor on the national or pro level is crazy high. Just my 2 pennies

Last edited:

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Was I a little harsh? Perhaps. The question just read like some 19 y/o kid asking how much pros spend on gear a year, and I get tired of seeing questions like that posted all over anabolics boards. The answers always tend to be pure speculation, at best. And even if you had a complete tally from 30 different pros accountants, you're likely to see 30 completely different and widely varying amounts that don't really have a good average that won't tell you anything useful.

It's the exact same thing if I came on here and said "I want to buy a car. How much is that going to cost me?" It's vague, has too many possible variables, doesn't take into account any of the necessary variables, and won't yield an answer of any significance no matter how many number figures people throw out.

With that being said, even though I could have been slightly more measured in my reply I still think it's a stupid question. Not to mention, the search function would probably return at least a dozen threads where the same question has already been asked and answered.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Got some pretty cool answers -that is what I was looking for - I really don't care how much a pro spends - I want to see the normal Joe out there spends- be leave it or not - it will help many many people and younger kids out there think twice. I spent well over$ 300 G over the past 30 years

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
I read some were I think it was lee haney back in the day said if you dont have atleast 100,000 a year to spend on gear and supplements dont bother showing up for Mr O... I remember it because the number shocked the hell out of me at the time. The cost both financially physically mentally to be a real competitor on the national or pro level is crazy high. Just my 2 pennies

Holy shit! And that was probably back in the 80's, wonder if it would be higher now or not? But really, how the hell could anybody consume that amount of juice? You would have to be slamming soooo many cc's daily to accomplish that kind of debt. But im no pro nor know any so i guess gear, gh, supps, tons of premium foods, travel expenses, and everything else could probably hit the 6 figure mark. Ive also read that many pros get their gear sponsored to them, and obviously supps if they have ads in flex magazines and whatnot. Should have Sandpig ask Jay Cutler for us :)