©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk's prep log for 12/5 Meet

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
What's up anasci? It looks like it's time to do another meet, well really somw friends of mine are going so it seamed like a great excuse to to get back on the horse. It's a low key APA meet about 4 hours south, but to be honest the pling scene locally blows for a few million people and I have not been impressed by the uspa. I guess I just see so much wasted potential, which boils down to a boring meet.

Anyway, the biggest unknown this time around is my shoulder and stability. About a month ago I strained my pec (minor) due to it. So, I have doing a bunch of rehab stuff to help correct and learn the movement pattern, but it goes up and down. I think that even though I am high repping my chest work I may still be over doing it. Plus squats really tend to stress the shoulders as well.

But, my squat is my best lift and I hit a smooth 585 double on my last test day a few weeks ago. However, I am incorporating a bit of psyche's advice and hitting the DL weekly with a stiff bar to build some breaking strength.

I do have some time to get things to come together, but I am caught in another situation where the masters 308 record is within striking distance. The 275 is out of reach as a sand bagging stan e. owns that at just over 2k. Nonetheless, the 308 is a 1640. No, I'm not that good, the records are just really low. If I can hammer low 600s in my sq and dl and my shoulder holds for another 400+ attempt I have a good shot.

Anyway, current weight is around 275 in AM after BM and I have been off for few weeks. Just jumped on some sust, tren and npp with var. I know folks would say don't mix the tren and npp, but they are both pretty low. I want the tren for some aggression and strength. At 300 EW I am not too worried, I have been in the deep end of the pool and this ain't it.

It should be no surprise I designed my own peaking cycle drawing from experience and other templates. My goal is to simply peak (read not make more gains, rather peak what I have), I think many people try to build and peak at the same time and experience the failure that comes with that. With that, while I usually aim to overreach, I am not here I want recovery each week. So, volume and frequency will be kept low. And lest I forget I am 40 plus a few so recovery is a concern. Add to it I don't have a desk job I can not handle much volume anyway.

Basically, it's a month of triples working down in sets and up intensity, then a month of doubles in the same manner and finally singles, working up to a 95 % or so. A big mistake people make is maxing out before the meet. Don't do that !

So, I will do my best to keep up.

Hawk

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Very cool your logging this again. I really enjoy following you guys, more so than bbers. Even on game day things can change dramatically. Hope you can work through your injuries and really do some damage at the meet. BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running npp/tren at the same time, even at higher doses. It's those with the inexperience to run them that are the first to oppose it. Do you plan on adding any orals at the end?

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Very cool your logging this again. I really enjoy following you guys, more so than bbers. Even on game day things can change dramatically. Hope you can work through your injuries and really do some damage at the meet. BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running npp/tren at the same time, even at higher doses. It's those with the inexperience to run them that are the first to oppose it. Do you plan on adding any orals at the end?

Hey Magnus, thanks for chiming in. And yeah, I am not afraid of mixing the two, rather just trying to prevent criticism before it happens. Well, I am going to run the var at the beginning with some extra CM and I have considered some drol at the end. I just need to be careful with BP. You know when I was bbing I could deal with a bit more sides, but Pling the heavy attempts will send you a cramp or headache like nobodies bussiness.

To be honest I would appreciate your input. Gear is not my speciality, well nothing is. But, basically my goal was simply use enough to recover without compromising how I felt so I could train at my best.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
9/28
Bench day.
Split:
Monday bench
Tuesday squat
Thursday light bench
Friday DL

Anyway, it was a shit bench day. My chest just felt tight and weak. Besides the strain and stability there is another issue...I have never figured out how to train chest 2x week. To be honest, my work capacity sucks and I can't handle much volume at all. So, I think I am just doing too much, I think I will just switch to 1 heavy days and and then on Friday just do a few very light flushing sets with feet up cuz 2 weeks ago I was repping 8 to 10 reps with 300 and today sets of 3 felt heavy. It didn't hurt but just didn't feel good.

I also need to speed up my accessories to a bbing pace. So, I cut my workout off at 1.5hrs...I move slow and don't accomplish much so I need to remedy this.

Monday
Comp bench: 135x5,205x3,245x3,275x3 300x3x3 (75% of 400)all pause, 225x20 t-n-g
Calves (between bench) 4x20
Standing press 135x12,10,15

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
9/28
Bench day.
Split:
Monday bench
Tuesday squat
Thursday light bench
Friday DL

Anyway, it was a shit bench day. My chest just felt tight and weak. Besides the strain and stability there is another issue...I have never figured out how to train chest 2x week. To be honest, my work capacity sucks and I can't handle much volume at all. So, I think I am just doing too much, I think I will just switch to 1 heavy days and and then on Friday just do a few very light flushing sets with feet up cuz 2 weeks ago I was repping 8 to 10 reps with 300 and today sets of 3 felt heavy. It didn't hurt but just didn't feel good.

I also need to speed up my accessories to a bbing pace. So, I cut my workout off at 1.5hrs...I move slow and don't accomplish much so I need to remedy this.

Monday
Comp bench: 135x5,205x3,245x3,275x3 300x3x3 (75% of 400)all pause, 225x20 t-n-g
Calves (between bench) 4x20
Standing press 135x12,10,15

Hawk

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Oh helllll yyeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!! CK gonna tear that shit up!

Attachments

• 11887017_1645759032370934_105338382_n.jpg
    11887017_1645759032370934_105338382_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 50

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Thank you psyche for the motifockinvation!
Should be a good meet.

So, Tuesday is squat day. Got my var at 40mg Ed and upped the CM to 10+ ed due to that. Anyway, I wasn't sure what today would hold since I changed my split this week. Last week I did bench, Tue amd Friday, Deads Monday and Squats on Thursday. This was a little experiment I was trying that back fired. Left me with sore rotators on bench day. Anyway, I squatted on Thursday and now again today on Tuesday. Add to that today was the first day not looking at the mirror.

All that horse shit aside it was a decent day. It was hard as hell to get under the bar with tight shoulders (suggestions wanted), but once I did I realized that the weight may be a tad light.

So, this was 80% for trips for 2 sets. Roughly an rpe 8, but it was really a 7.

Tuesday
Squat 480 x 2 x 3
CB Rows with hold 195 x 4 x 10
Rotator band work 3 x 15

Besides really tight rotators it was a decent day.

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
stretch after workouts and before bed after shower. It will save yo.ur shoulders

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ok, took a break from the board to process the passing of a friend, but now he would have encouraged me to kick ass.

Thursday light.., light bench and rehab
Feet up bench 135x15,185x15,15
Hang ups (hang from a pull up bar, leave arms extended and rotate your abs towards the sky) 10,10,10
Front raises 3 x15
Side raises 3x15

Friday
DL with Texas power bar (stiff) 225×3,315x2,405x1, 455x3, 405x3
I was trying to decide how to handle my deads this time around. I can't handle the same volume and intensity as squats so I chose intensity over volume. So, one top set with one back off set.

Pull downs 3 x 10-12
Pull thrus 3 x15
Ez bar curls 3 x15

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
10/5
Monday is bench day lol. Well it is now. I wasnt sure what to expect, I woke up and my clavicle was sore at the shoulder from sleeping on it. So, I popped some advil and said to myself it was going to be a shit bench day as I had a day of demo as well.

Well, I was wrong it wasn't a great day, but it was a good day. I trained bench with a friend of mine so we could share spots and I did trips all the way up.

Monday
Bench 135x10,185x5,225x3,275x3,305x3, 320x3,3,3, 225x20.
Iso press (lay on a bench and shrug up with a dumbbell) 3x10
Standing press 135x12,12 wanted to do more, but had an estimate.

Hawk

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Sorry Hawk, I must have missed this. BP and sides can be a problem, especially when start to hinder your training. Like you mentioned, a minimal dose of drol for 4 weeks would keep sides at ba and give you some additional strength. Another option would be to try something a bit stronger like sdrol or halo. Give you a bit more in the strength department and could be run in the last three weeks. You could try a half dose on off days and an additional dose preworkout. Alternately, you could try preworkout only for the first week and a half and adding an additional full dose the final week and a half. I've done all and found strength was best with the last option. All are quite conservative by most standards, but still give a nice strength boost with minimal sides. As far as you shoulder, treat it like gold. Psych is right, stretch. DC after the muscle it worked. I would also advise broomstick stretches several times a day. If your like me, I can't with a broomstick but a stiff band works well to. Get in there with your fingers or Thera-Cane to break up adhesions and stimulate blood flow. If it still continues to bother you, there is always peps.

Hey Magnus, thanks for chiming in. And yeah, I am not afraid of mixing the two, rather just trying to prevent criticism before it happens. Well, I am going to run the var at the beginning with some extra CM and I have considered some drol at the end. I just need to be careful with BP. You know when I was bbing I could deal with a bit more sides, but Pling the heavy attempts will send you a cramp or headache like nobodies bussiness.

To be honest I would appreciate your input. Gear is not my speciality, well nothing is. But, basically my goal was simply use enough to recover without compromising how I felt so I could train at my best.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Hawk,
Where is your meet taking place at? Is it in the Midwest?

Bear

Yeah, it's in a small little town in SW MO, West Plains. It's about 3.5 hours from KC, but it's a low key meet run by some good people. It's perfect since we have 3 powerlifting virgins out of the six of us. Most strong, but have never done a meet. The drive will suck, but not many December meets to choose from.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Tuesday is squat day.

Took a long time to warm up my shoulder but, overall everything went as planned.

Squat 225x3, 315x2, 405x1, 475x1, 510x3
Cable rows 3x12
Rotator work 3x12
Dumbell curls 2x15

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Here is a quick over view of my own routine for the two of you following my log. If it works out I will do a more detailed outline.

Week 1
70%x3x3 rpe 6
Week 2
75×3×3 rpe 7
Week 3
80x3x2
Week 4
85x3x1
Week 5
75x3x2
Week 6
80x3x2
Week 7
85x2x2
Week 8
90x2x1
Week 9
80x1x3
Week 10
85x1x3
Week 11
90x1x2
Week 12
95x1x1
Week 13
Work up to opener
Week 14
Work up to last warm up

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Here is a quick over view of my own routine for the two of you following my log. If it works out I will do a more detailed outline.

Week 1
70%x3x3 rpe 6
Week 2
75×3×3 rpe 7
Week 3
80x3x2
Week 4
85x3x1
Week 5
75x3x2
Week 6
80x3x2
Week 7
85x2x2
Week 8
90x2x1
Week 9
80x1x3
Week 10
85x1x3
Week 11
90x1x2
Week 12
95x1x1
Week 13
Work up to opener
Week 14
Work up to last warm up

Hawk

It seems you might under reach doing this....

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
It seems you might under reach doing this....

It's possible, but a little scrutiny of the peaking routine of ed and others may reveal the same thing. Adding volume would be a quick cure. Also, when you consider that you are benching and squating each month to a near peak the following weeks of amping back up act as a deload. This is a work in progress, but believe rpe 9s to be fairly taxing, so following that with a week of rpe 6 then a 7 serve as a recovery time and greasing the groove. Also, I have a 2nd light bench day.

Either way, observation and experience has taught me to er on the side of caution. I have seen many a lifter peak 2 or 3 weeks out. They set a new gym PR then bomb on the platform. Better to leave some in the tank.

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
It's possible, but a little scrutiny of the peaking routine of ed and others may reveal the same thing. Adding volume would be a quick cure. Also, when you consider that you are benching and squating each month to a near peak the following weeks of amping back up act as a deload. This is a work in progress, but believe rpe 9s to be fairly taxing, so following that with a week of rpe 6 then a 7 serve as a recovery time and greasing the groove. Also, I have a 2nd light bench day.

Either way, observation and experience has taught me to er on the side of caution. I have seen many a lifter peak 2 or 3 weeks out. They set a new gym PR then bomb on the platform. Better to leave some in the tank.

Hawk

That's a valid point. I'm just sayin that if you under reach not to the point that you peak before the meet, but that conditioning wise can you handle 9 max attempts in a given day. Or a span of a few hours depending how big the meet is.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
That's a valid point. I'm just sayin that if you under reach not to the point that you peak before the meet, but that conditioning wise can you handle 9 max attempts in a given day. Or a span of a few hours depending how big the meet is.

Psyche, can you break this down a bit more?

Thanks bro,

Hawk