©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Using pins more than one time

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I cannot believe that some people re-use their pins. I have seen this posted on several boards from newbies asking if its okay as long as they clean the needle. NO, its not okay. Its also NOT okay to keep a drawing pin and re-use it. Some say they sterilize their draw pin and use it several times, and they use a clean pin to inject with though. That is NOT okay either! Pins are cheap. Use a new one when you inject.

Here is where I often disagree with others. Most will tell you to use a new pin to draw with, and use a new pin to inject with. Although I find no fault with this method, I do not believe that it is necessary. Does your doctor change the pin after he draws from a vial and before injecting you with whatever shot you are there for? No, he uses the same syringe and needle that he drew out the medicine with to stick you with. Do you ever get an infection? Well, I never have, nor have I ever heard of anyone that did. Also, when using HCG, HGH, or SubQ vitamin injections with a slin pin, do you change the pin you drew with on it? No, you cant. It wont come off. I strongly believe in safety, and if you feel that using a seperate sterile pin to draw with and a separate pin to inject with is needed, then by all means do it. I often times will change it if I want to get the oil out faster, or I have a boatload of pins in the closet. Other times, I wont.

Attached is a photo that has been found many places on the internet. It is a nice example of why not to re-use a pin. There is however several things this photo does not tell us that would be really nice to know.

1) What brand of pin is that?
2) What was it stuck into? ie rubber stopper each time, an orange, skin, a brick wall?
3) What gauge is that pin?

I also did a test awhile back similar to this one in the photo. I stuck a 23g pin through a rubber stopper several times. I used a large magnifying glass to look at the pin tip. Although I did notice bending after several times of going through the stopper, I could not see any difference two times through and the third was bearly a change. The pin was a Terumo. Anyways, thats my soap box for the night. Be safe!
:cool:

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
I know what you mean Pit - they cost how much? about $0.22 each?! Trash the damn thing after you use it!

Steel Force

May 3, 2004
www.mob-hits.com
I believe you all have valid points.

In my personal opinion I feel that this is a personal choice.
Speaking strictly for me...I see nothing wrong with using the same pin to draw with several times. All you need to do is clean and disinfect it when you put it away, and when you get it out to use again.

I do however ALWAYS use a new pin to stick myself with...for the reason of comfort. A dull needle (even after one use) feels quite a bit more like a "stick" than a new needle.

Just my .02 cents.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Steel Force said:
I believe you all have valid points.

In my personal opinion I feel that this is a personal choice.
Speaking strictly for me...I see nothing wrong with using the same pin to draw with several times. All you need to do is clean and disinfect it when you put it away, and when you get it out to use again.

I do however ALWAYS use a new pin to stick myself with...for the reason of comfort. A dull needle (even after one use) feels quite a bit more like a "stick" than a new needle.

Just my .02 cents.

Like I said, everything is personal choice; however, my buddy used the same draw pin quite a bit and sterilized it each time. He did it for years with no problems. One day he got an infection after a delt shot. They had to cut open his arm and part of his back to drain it out. He also got a tube inserted into his heart that pumped in medicine at regular intervals. After a week or so, he had to go back in to be cut open again to remove the tube. Although Im sure this is quite rare, it spooked me! :worried:

mr.lean

Jun 13, 2004
i get the pins for 15 cents each and a extra tip so i never use the same one to draw as i do to inject, i use a bigger size to draw and a smaller one to inject for less pain

kavika

Jun 19, 2004
Central Florida
I use the same pin 22 1/2 gauge, 1 1/2 in, to draw and to inject. Have never had a problem and a little larger gauge pin makes the draw easier. I don't feel any more pain with a 22 1/2 than with a 23 or 23 1/2. I guess I have a numb ass or something.

blkplys

Jul 26, 2004
It is stuiped to reuse your needles even if it only one time. The chances that you will get an infection is pretty high but even if you dont why risk it. If you do get a infection for reusing a 0.15 needle who is the jackass. Dont reuse your needles.