©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Cardio Question & Training!

thecomeback

Feb 23, 2007
If I want to lower my body fat and build muscle, I understand that diet & cardio is key! My question is if I workout in the morning on an empty stomach and then do cardio afterwards if I would be starving my muscles and lose muscle. So would it be better to workout on an empty stomach, then before I get on the cardio machine take down 42 grams of liquid protein/low calorie to feed the muscles and protect them. Or will this defeat the purpose of cardio if I do this? I heard a million theories over 10yrs now and would like the board members to give my there experience. I will be doing a cycle with this training.
thanks
comeback

mike1991

Sep 5, 2006
Mental Hospital
I think it would be better if you did cardio first and then workout. The time after working out is to critical to ignore and do cardio. I have always found it better if I do cardio on an empty stomach such as fasting all night and then do my workout. If you eat or drink whatever after you workout and then do cardio, your body will not be tapping into your adipose tissue for reserve fuel and instead it will use thee food you just took in as fuel.

shanetuff

Jan 24, 2007
I think people don't understand that it is physically imposable to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Well maybe not imposable but pretty close to it.

Let me try to explain. You can not build muscle wile maintaining a calorie deficit. It just doesn't work. Try to keep a fire going with out fuel. It doesn't happen.

I think that it would be fair to say that all body builders will ZIG ZAG their diets.

MASS, you gain 20 lbs. Now with the way or wonderful bodies work, you would be lucky if 10 pounds of that was pure lean mass. The other ten pounds will be water, glycogen and fat.

Diet, The goal here is to maintain all of the mass you worked so hard to gain.
When you deplete you body of the calories it was use to, you will tap into stored energy."FAT".... Here is the bad news. Your body will give up fat fairly easy at first, then things slow down and muscle will be used.

You lose 10 pounds. 10 pounds of that will be fat and 5 pounds of it muscle.

Dont think I'm dumb cause the math isn't adding up. You will end up with a lower total BF% than you started with.

Every thing is good in Body Building Land.

You have just lost a total of 15 pounds of fat and water. And guess what, you put on 5 REAL pounds of mass.

This is why you hear us talking about doing a mass building cycle, an intermediate cycle and finally our cutting cycles.

Now you do it all over again. Granted, I used 20lbs of mass as a goal number. This number is irrelevant. A guy could gain 60lbs with a longer bulking cycle. Chances are that with the more weight you gain, the more water and fat you put on as well.

I think that if a guy could put on 20-30 lbs of quality lean mass in a year, he could consider that exceptional. 15-20 is more realistic.

Now, to explain my comment about pretty close to imposable.

Take a person who is brand new to working out and dieting. This person will often times find themselves putting on muscle fairly easy. This new mass can increase your metabolism enough to start burning fat. This will only last so long before your body puts a stop to this. This is when you plattoe. You either have to increase your calorie intake to maintain the new muscle, or start to loose it..

rowingdude

Feb 16, 2006
Here's what I am doing.

6:20 -- Wake up, drink 32oz. of water, then row.

That's my "cardio" I run later in the day after my class, but since I'm cutting, I keep running down to a time when I have had a couple protein shakes so it doesn't go after my quads too much.

Really, drink a shitload of water, then do cardio. Drink a protein shake, work your muscles. It's not that hard, it just takes commitment.

rebhchad

Jun 27, 2004
Im Trying To Get Cut Up For The Summer..i Do Cardio 3 Times A Week, Thats Working Pretty Good For Me..