©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Workout Schedual?

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
I have time for 2-adays with school now, But wondering if my body can take it. A bunch of guys over at precision muscle berated me for even thinking about wokring the same muscle group more than once a week? I never get sore anymore, meaning i need to change my workout plans bc im not tearing down like i used to right?

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
Ya - I've got a bench, ez bar, and dumbbells at home in case of emergencies! This stuff is fairly cheap at the local walmart.

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
For chest day it is..
puttin up 225x6 235x5 240x4(@168lb) then decline same weight and incline 145x3. Then dumbell incline and straight bench. Then i move to machines with 4 sets a piece. Maybe its just my recovery, i'm 17. I'm sore right after work outs but never the day after. I go 6x a week 1 hr in the morning 1 hr in the afternoon(24hr fitness). My only weekness is chest.
Oh and what i meant by two adays is twice ED, not twice a week :)

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
I wouldn't berate you, but you are way overtraining. I don't have a problem with a 17 y/o working chest twice a week, but you have to understand that you grow or heal in response to tearing muscle fibers when you rest. An intense chest workout should have a maximum of three exercises for 3 to 4 sets. At your age don't base the effectiveness of your workout on (DOMS) delayed onset muscle soreness. If you aren't growing at your age I can guaranty it's because you aren't eating enough. Most people think they eat a lot because their parents think they do. If your parents saw what it takes for a bodybuilder to maintain muscle mass they would think they had to take a second mortgage out on the house to feed you. Diet will be the most expensive part of growing muscle, even more expensive than gear.
If you want to get stronger in the bench (strength eventually equals added muscle) quit decline benching. Your incline bench should be almost as much as your flat.
Each muscle should not take more than 30 minutes to work out effectively, so if you spend an hour in the gym you should have worked 2 muscle groups in that time.

Last edited:

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
dugie82 said:
I never get sore anymore, meaning i need to change my workout plans bc im not tearing down like i used to right?

Not necessarilly. It could be due to overtraining.
Also, just because your body can muscularly "take it", doesn't mean it isn't causing your body damage.
When you work out your nervous system takes a huge beating too and that's what needs the rest even when your muscles aren't saying so.
Ultimately, every time you workout you are making inroads into your nervous system energy. It's kind of like making a withdrawal from your savings account everytime you work out. If you don't replace that money, you eventually go bankrupt. That is overtraining in the bodybuilding world.
The problem is since it's your nervous system, you don't see or feel the damage untill it's too late. It can actually take a long time for your nervous system to heal up after it has been overtrained.
Imagine if you scraped a chunk of skin off of your arm. Eventually it forms a scab and begins to heal. If you continually tear the scab off. It will never heal. That's what working out is like when you don't take time to rest.

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
Hey DR - am I correct in assuming that you're a rider of the great Dragon's tail? If so, what kind bike ya got? :D

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
I hear ya. I had to sell my Gixxer 750 when I had kids - couldn't afford the payment anymore. :(
In another year or 2, when they're both in school and I will no longer have to pay for daycare - its gonna be on!!! I'm either gonna build a chopper or get another rocket. :D :D :D

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
imdaman1 said:
I hear ya. I had to sell my Gixxer 750 when I had kids - couldn't afford the payment anymore. :(
In another year or 2, when they're both in school and I will no longer have to pay for daycare - its gonna be on!!! I'm either gonna build a chopper or get another rocket. :D :D :D
My girls were 14 and 16 when I got mine. I figured I had waited long enough.
I think about the chopper thing from time to time. That's what initially got me interested in bikes way back in the 70's.

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
come on at least give me credit. I'm 17 but im not stupid. I take in AT LEAST 180g of protein per day, get in 20 min of cardio ED a long w/ 1-2 hours in the gym. If i was overtraining wouldnt that tear down my muscles making me very sore? From what i know, overtraining is when you dont get sufficient rest on that muscle group. Ah no use in beating a dead horse, i'll just take the advice and train less.

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
20 minutes of cardio is barely tapping into your actual bodyfat - all you're doing there is burning off carbs and some calories. If you're BF is high, you need at least 45-60 minutes daily to get cut. "Overtraining" is exactly what you want to do while in the gym - just make sure you have fully recovered before training again. If you're muscles aren't sore to the touch, then you need to work them. It doesn't matter if it's been 1 day or 4 days - if they don't hurt - then they are ready.

superRAT

Aug 20, 2004
Riding

Yeah, there is something about riding that makes you feel in control and free, it is awesome!!