©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What do you use for joint pain/sore muscles?

geardepot

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jun 8, 2018
OK guys...I'm sure you have all experienced joint pain and sore muscles during your weight training. I know many years ago (yes...I'm an old fart) when I trained competitively, I relied heavily on ibuprofen for a shoulder issue I was having. Speaking of ibuprofen...I found this interesting:https://www.goodrx.com/blog/nsaids-ibuprofen-bad-liver-kidneys/. Apparently ibuprofen (and other NSAID's) are not hard on the liver, but more of a kidney concern. I graduated from that to cortisone injections twice yearly, until finally I needed rotator cuff surgery. For delayed-onset muscle sorness (***S), I've tried everything from Ben-gay to icy hot, to BIOFREEZE. I know there are a ton of creams and gels marketed nowadays to ease sore muscles and aching joints. I'm really interested to hear what most of you are using to combat the pain. Are there really any OTC products that work effectively? And what about some of the more progressive thinking methods? Accupuncture andelectro stimulation come to mind. And what (if any), supplements have you used that help with pain management? Obviously there is a ton of info and touted
claims out there on the internet, but it would be nice to get some real world feedback!
Thanks,
GD

Thermo

Donating Member
Feb 11, 2019
East Coast
OK guys...I'm sure you have all experienced joint pain and sore muscles during your weight training. I know many years ago (yes...I'm an old fart) when I trained competitively, I relied heavily on ibuprofen for a shoulder issue I was having. Speaking of ibuprofen...I found this interesting:https://www.goodrx.com/blog/nsaids-ibuprofen-bad-liver-kidneys/. Apparently ibuprofen (and other NSAID's) are not hard on the liver, but more of a kidney concern. I graduated from that to cortisone injections twice yearly, until finally I needed rotator cuff surgery. For delayed-onset muscle sorness (***S), I've tried everything from Ben-gay to icy hot, to BIOFREEZE. I know there are a ton of creams and gels marketed nowadays to ease sore muscles and aching joints. I'm really interested to hear what most of you are using to combat the pain. Are there really any OTC products that work effectively? And what about some of the more progressive thinking methods? Accupuncture andelectro stimulation come to mind. And what (if any), supplements have you used that help with pain management? Obviously there is a ton of info and touted
claims out there on the internet, but it would be nice to get some real world feedback!
Thanks,
GD

My mainstays this year have been Tumeric and CBD. Both are ant-inflamatories and relieve pain. The CBD thing is taking off, availability, studies, financial gain. I hope suspicions are proven true.

geardepot

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jun 8, 2018
My main supp is curcumin. It's a very good anti-inflammatory.

That's very interesting bro. Do you mind sharing the effective dosages you use? Also...how long before you notice the effects?
Thanks,
GD

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I also like curcumin. Life Extension brand at 2-3 caps (800mg-1200mg) per day.

GearPro

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jul 3, 2013
That stuff makes you stink.

I noticed Trained by JP just released Join-In and it looks like a solid product.

Not the medical grade DMSO. It has a slight odor if you smell the bottle, but once you apply it it’s almost scent free. The industrial grade and Veterinary grade product does have a strong odor, but I wouldn’t ever use those.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Not the medical grade DMSO. It has a slight odor if you smell the bottle, but once you apply it it’s almost scent free. The industrial grade and Veterinary grade product does have a strong odor, but I wouldn’t ever use those.

30 some here's ago I used dmso....it made your breath horrible...smelled like rotten garlic...

docmartin1020

Sep 4, 2019
I use fish oils for my joints pain and it works great. I take 2 caps a day. If I don't boy o boy do I feel it ....

Sent from my Nokia 2 V using Tapatalk

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Yea, it's probably going to depend on the injury and root of the problem and how extensive it is. I'll keep major injuries for a different discussion and gear my response toward the usual aches and joint pains that come with us getting older, lol:(

I'll be honest, nothing really helps me for the most part. But...

*Just taking longer to warm-up before lifting, more brisk cardio helps me + a few more warm-up sets.

*If i'm feeling pain after physical activity, i'm not scared to take a NSAID here and there. If it gets to the point where I need them for a few days in a row, I know I either need to see the doc, or change my training up. I'll discontinue the NSAID use at that point, as I agree, they are not good long-term. A day here and there, infrequently, I have no issues with. My favorite is Aleve.

*Baby Aspirin daily, or EOD. I take at night.

*fish oil
*Curcumin
*Nandrolones
*Bromelain
*DMSO
*Avoiding Winstrol:D
*Flexall Gel/lotion (got from DC)

I'll have to look into the medical grade DMSO if it doesn't have a smell or leave my breath smelling like a rotten onion or garlic, lol.

I always train with a sweater, even in the summer because inside the gym, it's not that hot. At least initially, or mostly through my workout, i'll stay covered up. I'll take off my swerater, but it's usually after all pressing movements have been completed (bad shoulders). I don't have problems with elbows, but training biceps have become my least favorite movement the last 10 years....I always had good bi's, but now may be one of my weakest points. They will come back fast though...well, hopefully. For knees and legs, I can't stand wearing sweats or pants, I have to have shorts on, as I get super hot, especially if wearing a sweater. I may wear those under armour pants, under my shorts every now and then, but usually not. I know Dante uses the Flexall when wearing his sweats for his knees and lower body muscle groups.

Dante also recommended collagen protein for long-term joint/lig health/repair. I have never used it myself.

I've not used CBD, as i'm not taking chances on testing dirty. I know it depends on who you get it from, but....

Kratom, not interested either.

Last edited:

geardepot

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jun 8, 2018
Oh yea! I remember the DMSO from back in the day. It worked good...but couldn't stand to be around myself! LOL I think the CBD oils show great promise, and it seems all the research so far is positive as a source of pain management. For me personally, fish oil extract never worked for me, as well as Glucosamine Chondroitin. I know that was really touted a few years back, but it never gave me any relief.
GD

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
That's very interesting bro. Do you mind sharing the effective dosages you use? Also...how long before you notice the effects?
Thanks,
GD

I use about 1000mg per day. I noticed effects within a few weeks. I plan to try the oil as well. I heard the injs are great but can be painful.