©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dissipointed in my Pecs! Need advice

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Hello Brethren! Just got back from the Gym, and was doing a little self critiquing. I'm really not too satisfied with my pecs. They look disproportionate to the rest of my torso. Part of the problem might be I have naturally broad shoulders and large arms. I really need help getting the lower and inner pecs to fill in.

W

wolfyEVH

what does your chest routine look like?? Maybe try and start the dumbbells instead of barbells (if you havent already) or vice-versa

Nomad

Feb 9, 2005
bro I hear ya on the lower/inner pecs...mine have always lagged...based on the recs from this board thinking of site injecting some prop in my cleavage.. :D .I will look like Uma in Pulp Fiction with the pin sticking out of my chest...lol...interested in what the vets have to say on this...

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
nomad05 said:
bro I hear ya on the lower/inner pecs...mine have always lagged...based on the recs from this board thinking of site injecting some prop in my cleavage.. :D .I will look like Uma in Pulp Fiction with the pin sticking out of my chest...lol...interested in what the vets have to say on this...

Funny you should mention that because I was wondering if anyone ever popped in their pec before. It seems like it might not be a good idea, but I'm sure it has been done.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
wolfyEVH said:
what does your chest routine look like?? Maybe try and start the dumbbells instead of barbells (if you havent already) or vice-versa

Usually start with flat barbell presses, then Inclines (bar and/or dumb) then fly's (dumbell). I also use the pec dec machine, and I use a cable machine. Most of these movement are 4 or 5 sets each.

LITTLEME

Mar 9, 2005
USA
I Can Get My Lower Inner Pecs Good . Having Trouble With My Lower Outer Pecs. I Do Flat Dbell, Incline Dbell, Decline Dbell And Incline And Flat Bench Flyes. I Also Like Dbell Pullovers. Works My Lower Chest Good And Feels Great Stretching Out My Rib Cage

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
LITTLEME said:
I Can Get My Lower Inner Pecs Good . Having Trouble With My Lower Outer Pecs. I Do Flat Dbell, Incline Dbell, Decline Dbell And Incline And Flat Bench Flyes. I Also Like Dbell Pullovers. Works My Lower Chest Good And Feels Great Stretching Out My Rib Cage

Now that you mention it (as I set here looking at my pecs) my lower/outer is a little lacking as well. Screw it! I'm going to war boys! These pecs will get better if it kills me!

LITTLEME

Mar 9, 2005
USA
I'm Trying To See What Would Work Lower Outer. Any Suggestions. I Was Thinking Probably Wide Grip Decline? Anyone Have Anything Else

thunderterd

I love boobs
Mar 9, 2005
I'm curious about the outer lower as well. I have improved on the inner pecs by adding 4 sets of close grip bench with barbell

P

pincrusher

biggest problem i see with people not being able to bring up their pecs is that they are so focused on how much weight they can use based on the old standby that you have to go heavy to get big, they lose the ability to be able to flex their pecs during the movement and end up relying on front delts and triceps to move the weight.
what i suggest that has worked for me, is to spend a few minutes flexing your pec muscles before you start to do your lifting. this will give you the ability to really feel the pec muscles working when lifting the weight. you must focus intensely on making sure you are squeezing your pec muscles at the top of the lift. sometimes it helps to back down in weight a little and focus on the flexing of the pec muscles during the lift then slowly add weight while making sure you are still maintaining a great flexation of the muscle.
i even will find myself flexing my pec muscles during the week almost every day just to be able to get a good feel for what it is like.
dumbells also work great for helping you to focus on the contraction of the pec muscle. what i do is when pushing up the dumbell, i rotate it so at the top of the movement, my palms are facing each other. this will help make the pecs contract during the movement.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
pincrusher said:
biggest problem i see with people not being able to bring up their pecs is that they are so focused on how much weight they can use based on the old standby that you have to go heavy to get big, they lose the ability to be able to flex their pecs during the movement and end up relying on front delts and triceps to move the weight.
what i suggest that has worked for me, is to spend a few minutes flexing your pec muscles before you start to do your lifting. this will give you the ability to really feel the pec muscles working when lifting the weight. you must focus intensely on making sure you are squeezing your pec muscles at the top of the lift. sometimes it helps to back down in weight a little and focus on the flexing of the pec muscles during the lift then slowly add weight while making sure you are still maintaining a great flexation of the muscle.
i even will find myself flexing my pec muscles during the week almost every day just to be able to get a good feel for what it is like.
dumbells also work great for helping you to focus on the contraction of the pec muscle. what i do is when pushing up the dumbell, i rotate it so at the top of the movement, my palms are facing each other. this will help make the pecs contract during the movement.

Great advice Pin. Part of the problem is that my shoulder still is a little off (getting better again though) and it effects my lifts, especially bench. I tried some new stuff this week, and I must say my pecs have a good overall feeling (good ole dull throbbing pain!) I think I'm on the right track. :)

P

pincrusher

Freejay said:
Great advice Pin. Part of the problem is that my shoulder still is a little off (getting better again though) and it effects my lifts, especially bench. I tried some new stuff this week, and I must say my pecs have a good overall feeling (good ole dull throbbing pain!) I think I'm on the right track. :)
the bad shoulder may be a small blessing in disguise since it will force you to use lighter weights. this way you can really focus on squeezing the pecs at the top of the movement which will take some of the strain of the delts. you will want to try to keep from using your delts as much as possible when pushing up the bar so you will want to focus more on using your pecs to move the weight. you will be surprised at how using a lighter weight may just make your pecs feel like they are on fire if you can focus all your energies on the contraction of the pec muscle. :)

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Yeah...I can see where my form earlier in life was way off. My front delts and tri's are huge from compensating for heavy weight (benching 320 my junior year of high school.) Believe it or not, I rarely try to max out anymore, and usually never go past 245 or so on my flat bench. Doing more to feel the "Squeeze" at the top and stretch at the bottom of the movements has actually made me more sore that going heavy ever did.

P

pincrusher

i have never been a strong bench presser and to compensate for it i needed to find a way to build muscle. in the last year alone, although my bench has not significantly risen strength wise, i have been able to make major increases in my pec size. my pecs are now bigger than alot of guys in my gym who are moving 100+ lbs more than me on the bench.
you found out the hard way with the quest for strength not always giving you bigger chests. look at most great bench pressers. their shoulders and triceps are friggin huge compared to their pecs. this is because the strength to move the heaviest weight will always come from your delts & tri's not your chest. its a more direct movement for them as compared to the pec muscles.

LITTLEME

Mar 9, 2005
USA
Hey Pin
Anysuggestions On Outer Lower Portion Of Pecs. I Mostly Use Dbell For The Same Reason You Said But I Do Not Rotate At The Top. I'll Have To Try That.

P

pincrusher

decline flyes & presses are about the only things i can think of that work for lower pec muscles. you can also use the crossover machine and set the cables down at the floor and come up at an angle from hands by your side to in front of your chest. this will hit them somewhat if done correctly.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
pincrusher said:
decline flyes & presses are about the only things i can think of that work for lower pec muscles. you can also use the crossover machine and set the cables down at the floor and come up at an angle from hands by your side to in front of your chest. this will hit them somewhat if done correctly.

Yes...I started doing the cable crosses like that a month or so ago, and if you really squeeze it, there great!