©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Book Review, "With Winning in Mind"

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
So, after my first PLing meet in which I was nervous as hell I decided that I needed to find a way to deal with it. I started by talking to successful athletes I knew, Daniel McKim (highland games champ), Bubba Dowling (600+ bencher) and Doug (Olympic trap shooter) about how they dealt with the pressure. They all seamed to have some good advice but could not transfer anything direct to me. It was mostly vague concepts and catchy slogans.

So, I kept digging I knew it was possible to be cool under pressure, look at the Micheal Jordan of PLing Ed Coan or the real Micheal Jordan. They each found a way to perform well under pressure.

My search lead me to buy the book, With Winning in Mind. This $15 book has changed my life. By the end of the first chapter I was convinced I could compete or handle any pressure situation if I could master this approach. It is not brainwashing or positive reinforcement bullshit, rather it is about developing a process of thinking or not thinking about the process. I have not yet, mastered this process as I am still re-reading the book and applying it, but there are already improvements in my attitude.

I could explain more, but let me say I believe this book can help anyone perform better in anything. In the board room, on the platform and even in the bedroom. Anyone who suffers from nervous anxiety while trying to be at their best. IT WILL GIVE YOU THE EDGE!.

One of the statements in the book is that if so many things are 90% mental why don't we spend any time or money on that aspect. Well, the $15 bucks will the only money you will need to spend and conquer the psychology of winning.

Hawk

With Winning in Mind 3rd. Ed.: Lanny Bassham: 9781934324264: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510F4HpQ4mL.@@AMEPARAM@@510F4HpQ4mL

sh00t

Apr 1, 2013
Ok, C. Hawk, I'll buy it and give it a read. (Actually, I'll search torrents for it, but I'll buy it if it seems good).
Anything to increase function under pressure is great...I'm glad it isn't just that positive affirmative junk, so I'm glad you stated that

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
As with most things in life, the mental aspect is typically undervalued. To paraphrase Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't; you're right."

The typical American mentality values the results over the process, when it should be the other way around. If the correct processes are not put in place, one will never achieve the desired result. Simply put, the journey is more important than the destination.

Good luck with your next meet Hawk.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
As with most things in life, the mental aspect is typically undervalued. To paraphrase Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't; you're right."

The typical American mentality values the results over the process, when it should be the other way around. If the correct processes are not put in place, one will never achieve the desired result. Simply put, the journey is more important than the destination.

Good luck with your next meet Hawk.

Sully, that quote was in the book and it sounds like your familiar with the concepts in the book.

I was not and just knowing (while not yet mastering) that there is a way to deal with the angst has been liberating.

Hawk

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
A lot of what I know about mental preparation actually comes from sales training and running businesses. But the basic concepts apply to all facets of ones life. Too many people psych themselves out before they even make an attempt at things. They spend so much energy stressing about the "what-ifs" of the situation that they aren't focused on the task at hand when it comes time to perform.

I've always preferred the "fuck it" approach. Spend as much time before whatever it is you're doing preparing for the event, but right before it happens I clear my mind and don't really think about much of anything. When it's time to go, just jump straight into it without giving myself time to think about the possible outcomes. But, I've always responded better to situations when under pressure or a deadline. Without that extra incentive of imminent failure and consequence I tend to not apply myself as much.

Everyone is different Hawk. Pick one or 2 strategies at a time and apply them. When they're solidly ingrained into your routine, then add another. It's just like when u first start lifting or dieting. Making huge sweeping wholesale changes can be a recipe for disaster. Start small and make incremental changes and over time you'll find yourself settled down and ready to bend that bar in half.

Last edited:

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Treat your test days like meets. I have 3 guys judge me on tests days....so at a meet it feels like a test day at the gym. Behavioral modifications work great.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
I think a lot of top level competitors take beta blockers to prevent their body from having an adrenaline response which is know as "nerves"...where i really see it is professional golf...everyone used to get excited and fist pump after making long putts or great shots, no no one ever gets excited, and I see a lot more gyno, which I heard can be a side effect of beta blockers

I think its the same with a new girl in bed, the adrenaline response puts us in fight or flight mode, either blow real fast (fight) or cant get hard (flight)...but when you calm down and get your breathing under control you can get in there and lay some pipe...I think experience helps too...I see a lot of er docs fresh from school barking orders and being dicks out of pressure, then when they get older and get a bunch of nightmare patients under their belt...they become cool as cucumbers under very f'd up conditions...who know, i could be completely wrong tho, more of a observation than anything

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
A lot of what I know about mental preparation actually comes from sales training and running businesses. But the basic concepts apply to all facets of ones life. Too many people psych themselves out before they even make an attempt at things. They spend so much energy stressing about the "what-ifs" of the situation that they aren't focused on the task at hand when it comes time to perform.

I've always preferred the "fuck it" approach. Spend as much time before whatever it is you're doing preparing for the event, but right before it happens I clear my mind and don't really think about much of anything. When it's time to go, just jump straight into it without giving myself time to think about the possible outcomes. But, I've always responded better to situations when under pressure or a deadline. Without that extra incentive of imminent failure and consequence I tend to not apply myself as much.

Everyone is different Hawk. Pick one or 2 strategies at a time and apply them. When they're solidly ingrained into your routine, then add another. It's just like when u first start lifting or dieting. Making huge sweeping wholesale changes can be a recipe for disaster. Start small and make incremental changes and over time you'll find yourself settled down and ready to bend that bar in half.

Thanks for the advice man. To tell the truth I couldn't apply the whole concept by my march 15th meet anyway. I did start to use the concepts this past week on my test days and they worked well. Particularly yesterday when I tested my bench and the local pling trainer and his lackies were watching me out of the side of their eyes.

Treat your test days like meets. I have 3 guys judge me on tests days....so at a meet it feels like a test day at the gym. Behavioral modifications work great.

I have done this, but it actually improves my lifts cuz they are friends and not very threatening.

I think a lot of top level competitors take beta blockers to prevent their body from having an adrenaline response which is know as "nerves"...where i really see it is professional golf...everyone used to get excited and fist pump after making long putts or great shots, no no one ever gets excited, and I see a lot more gyno, which I heard can be a side effect of beta blockers

I think its the same with a new girl in bed, the adrenaline response puts us in fight or flight mode, either blow real fast (fight) or cant get hard (flight)...but when you calm down and get your breathing under control you can get in there and lay some pipe...I think experience helps too...I see a lot of er docs fresh from school barking orders and being dicks out of pressure, then when they get older and get a bunch of nightmare patients under their belt...they become cool as cucumbers under very f'd up conditions...who know, i could be completely wrong tho, more of a observation than anything

I know experience will help, but I am not sure I am going to get much experience in only doing 2 meets a year. Although, I am sure that my second one will be better than my first.

BTW I tell my wife I wouldn't even bother trying to cheat on her(married 17 years) as I would last 2.3 seconds LOL....and I love her.

Thanks guys,
Hawk

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
We need more of this- these guys/vets built the foundation of anasci.
This stuff is why I made this home for so many years.
I'm going to try bringing up old interesting articles written by our vets and founders.
Hopefully we can get this place back- I'm still waiting for some more new articles from these guys some day- been holding breath along time

GearPro

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jul 3, 2013
Chicken hawk hasn’t been here in 4 years? Miss his posts. Always had good ideas.