©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Helicopter parenting

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Just heard this on the radio about new term for many parents of today . No wonder there are so many spoiled pussy 18- 25 yr olds, this term is perfect cause kids now a days don't work and got the broken arm disease for mommy and dad. Agree or disagree?

chris698

Oct 30, 2012
Florida
Absolutely AGREE! The country is going into the shitter..... people today are too concerned about being politically correct and not properly punishing their children, because they are afraid of the negative consequences.... Instead they overprotect and shelter their children thinking they are helping them. Unfortunately, it has the complete opposite effect.

"Teach a child to fish or keep feeding them the fish you caught." If you adopt the later philosophy, the only problem is that when you’re gone... your children have no survival instincts and will quickly be consumed by society. It’s like a tiger not teaching their cub how to hunt. What happens when the parent is gone, the cub dies as well.

I know that is an extreme example, but is it really?

A lot of parents today shelter their kids and don't teach them about Morales, the value of a dollar and that it takes hard work, dedication and integrity to get ahead...

We saw in the past election what 51% of Americans want.... they want Free Handouts without having to work for it.

Be careful what you wish for America.... you just might get what you want.

Look how well that philosophy has worked for countries like, Greece, Spain, Portugal... etc. They adopted that policy and now they are either completely bankrupt or close to it!!!!!!!

Personally, I think we need not be so concerned with Materialistic Bullshit things. Instead, we should focus on family, without being a "Helicopter" Parent.

Just my 2 cents......

Last edited:

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Very good points. I just moved my daughter and son in law out into another apt yesterday. They are early 30's have another stepson living here as well as my own son . Both 30ish. My own fault. I was pretty old school as far as work ing before and after school and weekends starting at age 13. My educational needs were really neglected. I did way to much of that being a friend first then father. selfish mistake on my part. So here I am still trying to get them all launched. The adage of teaching to fish or having them eat what you caught is so true. Love them they are my kids but if I bow out early then what?
Great thread... T

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
My mother was born in 1929 and my dad in 1915. That's no typo. I'm 41. That's no typo.
I lost my dad at 2 in 1973. Sis was 11 mos. and older brother was 10 and growing up with a single mom, tough as nails working her rear end off to support us and guess what? Learned a LOT about not getting everything you wanted, I worked early and brought home money to help out. Just as my dad did in 1922 at 7 selling papers on the corners in Hoboken, NJ that he brought back from NYC at 5am.
I have two girls, 6 and 3. I think kids should have 'more than we had' but to a point. More guidance, more instilling confidence through hard work and even more coping skills dealing with failure and disappointment. Life will throw a lot at them. I try to teach them not to complain about what they don't get that they want, but to think of what they don't get that they DON'T want. My job is to show them I love them, they can come to me and trust that I'll always accept them and help them to grow up to be happy, well adjusted, loving people. I'm not perfect, neither were my parents, but I'd like to think they were perfect for me and I guess that's all that matters.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
I'm guessing hovering waiting to swoop in at first sign of trouble. I hear that one for sure grim. . Postive reenforcement and finding out what a kids dreams/ambitions are is so important... T

incbb

Dec 17, 2012
seems creepy and unbalanced

the parent always under tension waiting for the kid to fuck up, the whole atmosphere is stressed

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
The worst part, to me, is the audacity for a grown adult to think that they should "control" another adult (or near-adult's) life and re-create that person in their own image.

b12

Nov 27, 2012
Just heard this on the radio about new term for many parents of today . No wonder there are so many spoiled pussy 18- 25 yr olds, this term is perfect cause kids now a days don't work and got the broken arm disease for mommy and dad. Agree or disagree?

Agree. Made me think of this article I had read earlier.

Stero!d Use Among Teens May Be Caused by Laziness, Not Desperation

"...Many students seem to revel in being able to do well without expending much effort. "Talented but Lazy" T-shirts proliferate the hallways..."

Steroid Use Among Teens May Be Caused by Laziness, Not Desperation - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

b12

Nov 27, 2012
...We saw in the past election what 51% of Americans want.... they want Free Handouts without having work for it.

Be careful what you wish for America.... you just might get what you want...

My brother's a vet. Disabled. He's one of the 47% and one of your 51%. And according to you, a bum.

I think he and many other vets have paid their dues other than to be judged on how they exercise their freedom to vote.

I am one of the 51%. I work hard, pay what I owe, and I do the best I can with parenting. Kids don't come with instructions.

chris698

Oct 30, 2012
Florida
I don't believe I ever said people like your brother are bums. I also don't believe I judged vets or other productive members of society.

If your brother is a vet, then I am truly grateful for his service to our country (assuming he is from the U.S., like me). I am also sorry to hear he is now disabled.

Let me be clear...there is one thing to be a disabled vet and receive government help, there is something totally different when you are a 3rd or 4th generation welfare recipient.....

There’s is something to be said about a healthy, "able" person who wakes up in the morning, goes to work and puts in an honest hard day vs. that same, healthy, "able" person who wakes up feeling they don't have to work because the government is going to take care of them.

Those people, I do have a HUGE problem with. I am just saying to all you 51%ers.... be careful what you wish for.... you might just get your wish.

My brother's a vet. Disabled. He's one of the 47% and one of your 51%. And according to you, a bum.

I think he and many other vets have paid their dues other than to be judged on how they exercise their freedom to vote.

I am one of the 51%. I work hard, pay what I owe, and I do the best I can with parenting. Kids don't come with instructions.

Last edited:

chris698

Oct 30, 2012
Florida
Kudos to you G.R. sounds like you have overcome a lot of challenges and have come out the other side with a good, positive outlook and are teaching your girls strong values.

I have two girls as well 13 and 9..... and I share a lot of the same philosophies....

My mother was born in 1929 and my dad in 1915. That's no typo. I'm 41. That's no typo.
I lost my dad at 2 in 1973. Sis was 11 mos. and older brother was 10 and growing up with a single mom, tough as nails working her rear end off to support us and guess what? Learned a LOT about not getting everything you wanted, I worked early and brought home money to help out. Just as my dad did in 1922 at 7 selling papers on the corners in Hoboken, NJ that he brought back from NYC at 5am.
I have two girls, 6 and 3. I think kids should have 'more than we had' but to a point. More guidance, more instilling confidence through hard work and even more coping skills dealing with failure and disappointment. Life will throw a lot at them. I try to teach them not to complain about what they don't get that they want, but to think of what they don't get that they DON'T want. My job is to show them I love them, they can come to me and trust that I'll always accept them and help them to grow up to be happy, well adjusted, loving people. I'm not perfect, neither were my parents, but I'd like to think they were perfect for me and I guess that's all that matters.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
The worst part, to me, is the audacity for a grown adult to think that they should "control" another adult (or near-adult's) life and re-create that person in their own image.

Man is that right on the money. Some people have a hard time understanding a kid is a full fledged human being with just one life to live same as anyone else. I have 4 grown kids 9 grandkids 2 Foster(permanant guardianship) kids . Every single one has a unique and special place in life. Love to hear the dreams and aspirations each have. Millburn that was well said brother... T

Jello

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 17, 2008
Parents today are too worried about being their kids friends first rather than being parents. It's sad because they are only hurting their own kids futures. I've had a couple of these types work for me and it amazes me their lack of work ethic and their apparent lack of concern about keeping a job.

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
I think some of the helicopter parenting is the result of political correctness and the "Dr Phil" syndrome so to speak. Parents I believe are guilted into being over-involved, because they're afraid they'll be viewed as distant and un-involved if they aren't. Kind of a catch-22.

I don't think it's as much of a personal idiocy thing as just a generation of parents that want to be viewed as super parents, and are expected to be that by the "Dr Phil" crowd.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
My sisters 52 and her one son is 27. She's like a human transport helicopter and anything the little bitch needs he gets . Hes graduated from
College with some kind of degree and every resume , cover letter
she writes for him he looks superior on paper but in person no personal speaking skills so no job and now decided he needs to go to nurse school in where?? Hawaii of course! Hay mommy I need 75k.. Apt car and u to wipe my ass.. Pathetic is all I can say. She does his life and not her and her husband. Surprised he's still around but he too was only son ..