©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Steroids?

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
A Florida 19 year old beat Michael Johnsons 400 meter record. Wasn't Johnson using gear when he set the record? I wonder if this kids dabling with a little something something.

Here's the story:

Fla. Teen Breaks Johnson's 400 Record

Sun Mar 13, 5:54 PM ET Sports - AP

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Kerron Clement has struck down a world record held for a decade by one of the greats of track and field. And he's only 19. The Florida sophomore seemed as surprised as everyone else when he ran 44.57 seconds at the NCAA (news - web sites) Indoor track and field championships Saturday night, breaking the mark of 44.63 set by Michael Johnson (news - web sites) in 1995.

It was the second phenomenal clocking by a U.S. teenager in the event this season, and both came at the Randal Tyson Track Center. A month ago, 18-year-old LaShawn Merritt of East Carolina ran a 44.93 — then the third-fastest time in the event's history — at the Tyson Invitational.

But two weeks ago, Merritt signed a shoe contract with Nike and turned professional without ever running in an NCAA meet. That deprived the indoor championships of a big-time showdown, but Clement did just fine on his own.

"He's been blessed by a wonderful ability by God — he chose the right parents," Florida coach Mike Holloway said. "He's an incredibly hard worker. If I get on him about something, he listens and goes out and tries to correct it."

Clement was born in Trinidad and moved to the United States as an eighth-grader. He was a highly coveted track recruit at La Porte (Texas) High School, recruited by the big powers of the sport, including LSU, Texas and Tennessee. He said no to Baylor coach Clyde Hart, who developed Johnson and 2004 Olympic gold medalist Jeremy Wariner.

After choosing Florida, the easygoing youngster wasted no time in making his mark.

He won the NCAA championship outdoors in the 400 hurdles, then won the world junior championship in the same event, in meet record time. At the junior championships, Clement competed for the United States after earning his U.S. citizenship last summer. He probably could have gone to the Olympics for Trinidad and Tobago last year, but preferred to become an American.

"I love competition and the U.S. has great athletes," he said. "I want to train with them and run with the best in the world."

Clement considers himself a hurdler who happens to run the 400, an opinion that he said hasn't change even after the world record performance. Holloway said Clement will run mostly the hurdles in the outdoor season.

"We were talking about that last week," Holloway said, "He said, `You know coach, I'm a hurdler. That's what I want to do. I like the 400, I love the 400 hurdles.'"

Holloway saw Clement's 400 speed kicking into a new gear over the winter.

"Back in February, he ran 46.1 in his opener, which was almost a second and a half faster than he ran last year," the coach said. "I told him if he was just patient, both of us together, I thought we could do something special."

But Holloway never dreamed he'd be watching his star pupil break a world record a month later. The mark was even faster than Florida's outdoor school record of 44.66.

Don't expect success to spoil him, though. Asked what he would tell the world about himself, Clement said, "I'm a down-to-earth kind of guy. I get along with everybody. I'm always a happy person. I've always got a smile on my face."

After his emotional triumph Saturday, he came back and anchored Florida's winning 1,600-meter relay team.

"It was very tough," he said, "but the team depends on me."

Holloway said Clement's mother, Claudette, deserves the credit for the young runner's humility.

"That's a testament to her because that's how she raised him," Holloway said. "I tease him all the time, because if he's late to practices, I say, 'I'm going to call your mom' and he's, 'Oh no, don't do that.'"

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
SuperFly said:
yeah.....he has a needle in his ass.

Is that so bad? :twisted:

It would be nice to know that he did it naturally..........ok ok...i'm just playing.

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
Its not juice. It says right there in the article that he's been blessed by a wonderful ability by God. Read this again - "by a wonderful ability by God."
I guess thats why Mr. Holloway is the coach and not the English teacher.
lol

KILLA

Banned
Feb 25, 2005
I believe in God's miracles, and this may just be one. It may also be a miracle they didn't make him submit to a piss test. :afro:

P

pincrusher

i know that i may be the minority here but i dont think he juices. one thing you have to realize is that his record was done on an indoor track that was designed and built to produce records. go to any good high school track and compare how it is constructed today to the way they were 10 years ago or longer. when i ran track in school those many years ago, all the tracks were stone but today they are making them out of special materials that have spring to them to produce faster times. if juicing was really as bad in track as people assume it is because of the usa track stars who got caught, wouldnt the marathon be under 2 hours by now? reason for this is there is no benefit seen with the surface they are running on unlike indoor track and outdoor track run on special surfaces.