©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hushmail currently down

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
something is wrong with hushmail im sure alot of people are experiencing this problem, i cant even access my email, only thing we can do is wait for hushmail to fix their problem.

W

wolfyEVH

it should be working now......somone hacked it last night

W

wolfyEVH

got2bjuicen said:
It's still down,I can't even pull the home page up,anyone else having this prob.?

the homepage www.hushmail.com works fine for me....here is there message

In recent hours we have been made aware that security was compromised at the domain registrar responsible for the hushmail.com domain. For a brief period, this domain was forwarded to a server belonging to an unidentified party, which resulted in our web page being unavailable or appearing defaced.

There was no unauthorized access to any of the Hush servers. Data managed by Hush was not compromised. During this period, email sent to hushmail.com will not have been delivered.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. We take this incident very seriously, and will continue to update this page as more information becomes available

thunderterd

I love boobs
Mar 9, 2005
NEWS

Hushmail.com defaced by means of DNS redirection UPDATED

Siegfried, SyS64738 Zone-H Admins
04/24/2005

The web site hushmail.com of Hush Communications, providing secure email services, was defaced over the week-end, visitors being redirected to a different server after an attacker got access to Hushmail DNS maintenance panel.
It was first noticed very early this morning, when the domain www.hushmail.com began to redirect users to a page containing the following message: "The Secret Service is watching. -Agent Leth and Clown Jeet 3k Inc". The DNS were changed to DNS1.EVONEXUS.NET DNS2.EVONEXUS.NET while hushmail are using their own servers (NS*.HUSHMAIL.COM) and the information on the whois was hijacked:

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Smith, Brian [email protected]

Hush Communications

Maybe the attacker got somehow this contact's password, whose email address was [email protected] (according to the data on the whois of hush.com) and modified the data of the domain on the Network Solutions web site, their registry.

On sunday 4am GMT the page was removed, probably by burst.net, which was hosting it, the emails sent to the hushmail.com users were bounced back to the sender at the time of writing.

The attacker didn't use the web site for a malicious purpose, but it is indeed a bad news for Hush Communications, whose credibility was seriously damaged.

A mirror of the "defacement" is available here:

http://www.zone-h.org/defacements/mirror/id=2309823/

UPDATE

Currently at 08:35 AM GMT+1 the site Hushmail.com is reachable in Europe only by its IP address 65.39.178.11 while the query through DNS doesn't resolve.

Click here to view the current status of Hushmail Whois

http://www.zone-h.org/files/77/hushwhois.htm

UPDATE 25/04 3am GMT

Hushmail released a news confirming the attack, explaining that the attacker broke the Network Solutions security, no more details are available. If it's really the truth, then we are waiting for a comment from Network Solutions, because any other customer could have been attacked.

https://www.hushmail.com/login-status?

Original article: http://www.zone-h.org/en/news/read/id=4467/

Click here to post Your comments on this article...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Last edited:

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
welll lets hope that hushmail hires the hackers before a government agency does :)

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Just because DNS was comprimised, I wouldnt worry about anything past that. All your email is still encrypted with your own private key.