©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Mayweather vs McGregor Aug 26th

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor megafight finalized for Aug. 26

What began as a talk for a fight many perceived as impossible between a boxing legend and the biggest star in mixed martial arts is now a reality, it was announced Wednesday.

Former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. made the announcement on Instagram, confirming that the champion in five weight classes will exit a 23-month retirement at age 40 to face Conor McGregor, the UFC superstar, in a boxing match on Aug. 26 in Las Vegas.

Mayweather did not say how many rounds the fight would be scheduled for, what weight the bout would be at or the specific location, though it will be at either the MGM Grand Garden Arena or the T-Mobile Arena.

Moments earlier, McGregor sent out a simple four-word statement on Twitter, with a picture of Floyd Mayweather Sr. instead Mayweather Jr. Dana White followed Mayweather's announcement with a simple emoji.

The fight will be broadcast on Showtime PPV.

The announcement brings to an end rampant speculation that began two years ago when McGregor threw out the prospect of the fantasy match during a July 2015 appearance on Conan O'Brien's talk show, telling the host, "I would box him if the opportunity arose."

Ireland's McGregor (21-3), a 28-year-old southpaw, is the first UFC fighter to simultaneously hold titles in two different divisions and one of the best MMA fighters in the world, but he will be making his professional boxing debut against Mayweather, one of the greatest boxers in history.

With no major titles on the line and Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) an astronomical favorite, the fight is merely an opportunity for both make huge money.

Mayweather is a -1,000 favorite at the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas, with McGregor paying back +700.

McGregor has been outspoken about his desire for a fight that will dwarf his largest UFC payday while Mayweather, who earned some $250 million for his record-shattering victory against Manny Pacquiao in May 2015, stands to earn a second nine-figure windfall.

Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) also has the chance to finish off his career at a perfect 50-0 in a fight that few expect to be competitive but has nonetheless piqued the public's interest because of the boxing-versus-MMA angle, not to mention the big personalities and trash-talk ability of both combatants.

Mayweather has not fought since easily outpointing Andre Berto in September 2015 to retain his welterweight world title and then retiring. But he has been vocal about his desire to exit retirement for only one fight -- the big one against McGregor.

The fight seemed highly implausible because Mayweather was retired and McGregor (21-3) had never boxed. Eventually, Mayweather and McGregor went back and forth with each other in the media and on social media talking about a possible fight, but making a deal was another story.

McGregor fueled speculation when he applied for and was granted a boxing license in California in November and then he applied for one in Nevada last month, although his application has not been completed yet.

But McGregor, whose UFC titles have come at 145 and 155 pounds, is under long term contract to UFC and needed the company to go along with making the bout. UFC president Dana White was initially against it but came around and in April admitted there was too much money at stake not to make the fight. In May, McGregor and UFC came to terms on their end of the deal.

Mayweather also began to talk openly about his interest in the fight, announcing in March that he would come out of retirement for only one fight - McGregor. He hoped it would take place in June, but that was pushing it and in May he told Showtime on one of its boxing telecasts, "Hopefully, we can make the fight happen. He's no pushover."

McGregor caused even more of a stir in March when he was ringside for the boxing pro debut of his pal Michael Conlan and went off in a brief session with the ringside media after the fight, shouting, "I'm going to step in there and shock the whole goddamn world. Trust me on that. Look me in the eyes, 28 years of age, confident as a mother f-----, long, rangy, dangerous with every hand. Trust me, I'm going to stop Floyd and you're all going to eat your words. The whole world is going to eat their words."

With Mayweather adviser Al Haymon quietly negotiating the specifics with UFC - and the Nevada State Athletic Commission saying it would happily regulate the fight despite it being perceived as a huge mismatch by most -- Mayweather Promotions caused a stir when it requested Aug. 26 from the Nevada commission as the date for a boxing event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, although it did not specify the main event.

Nonetheless, it became clear through various sources that this was the intended date for Mayweather-McGregor and then on Wednesday the commission granted Mayweather's company the date at its regular commission meeting, although Mayweather Promotions has asked for the request to be removed from the agenda only to make a last minute request to keep it on Tuesday night.

Hours after the commission approved the date request for the fight, Mayweather announced the fight that many believe will approach the 4.6 million buy record set by Mayweather-Pacquiao.

The Mayweather-McGregor card will be boxing only and Mayweather has said he wants two of his company's top fighters to appear on it, Badou Jack (21-1-2, 12 KOs), a former super middleweight world titleholder who vacated his belt in January to move up to light heavyweight, and junior lightweight world titlist Gervonta Davis (18-0, 17 KOs).

ESPN's Brett Okamoto and Ben Fawkes contributed to this report.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Its hard for me to believe that this fight is finally going to happen. I'd rather see CONNOR stay in the UFC but cant blame him for taking this huge payday.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
I have to give McGregor credit for getting this through but it's the biggest joke ever. It makes Boxing and MMA look bad. I hope nobody buys the PPV and it's a huge failure. Think about it, one of, if not the best P4P boxer in the world taking on a fighter no professional boxing matches, just to scam people out of millions of dollars...disgraceful!!

I'm a boxing fan but a bigger MMA fan and I can honestly say that I hope Floyd KO's him in the 1st or 2nd round. The fact that this is how Floyd will get his 50th win and break Rocky Marciano's record is shameful. The fact that McGregor didn't defend the 145lb belt because he was too busy fighting two fights at 170lbs wasn't fair to the contenders...he should have been stripped of the 145lb belt long before he gave it up and the fact that he hasn't defended the 155lb belt because he's too busy with this current spectacle is a disgrace. He should be stripped of the 155lb belt since he hasn't defended it in 7 months and at the time of the Maywether fight, it will be 9 months...probably be over a year by the time he actually defends it. It's disgraceful and not fair to the fighters that are/were in line for a title shot.

Last edited:

AR-15

Jan 10, 2016
Personally I think the whole thing is a huge joke. It's a shame both fighters and all the suits are gonna get huge paydays at the expense of people who don't know any better and think they are gonna see a good fight. I hate the whole thing period. Almost like the Yankees playing the Penquins on ice for the Stanley Cup. One has no business playing the other....AR....

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Floyd is either gonna beat the shit out of McGregor or McGregor is gonna get pissed and flustrated and start throwing kicks or trying to grapple with him and get disqualified. As stated above boxing mma are 2 different mindsets gonna be extremely difficult for McGregor to wrap his mind around that when the bell rings. Having said that ive read their putting 1000 to 1 odds against McGregor so I'll be putting a 100 bucks on him winning just for shits and giggles lol

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Seems Connor's sparring partner doesn't have any faith in him to win:

McGregor sparring partner: UFC star has no shot vs. Mayweather

Conor McGregor is being backed by a lot of the early Las Vegas action for his bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr, but one of the UFC star’s former sparring partners says he has no shot at winning the fight.

Former IBO welterweight champion Chris van Heerden, who sparred with McGregor in May 2016, told TMZ he was out of shape when he worked out with McGregor and was still able to dominate the Irishman.

“It’s crazy, I read all these posts where people say Mayweather’s gonna have his hands full landing on Conor because of Conor’s skill and footwork and movement,” van Heerden said. “I’m no Mayweather and — out of camp, out of shape — I landed (punches) on Conor McGregor at will.

“It’s crazy to think people can actually compare a fighter that’s 0-0 in a boxing ring compared to a legend that’s 49-0 and has beaten the best and best in the world.”

Van Heerden sparred with McGregor over a year ago, so there’s a chance the MMA fighter has improved significantly since then. That said, Mayweather is known as one of the smartest fighters and best defenders of all time. And even if McGregor does catch him with a big shot or two, van Heerden doesn’t think Conor will have enough power to knock Floyd out.

“No. He’s been hit by guys that can punch, and he didn’t go down,” van Heerden said. “He knows how to recover.”

McGregor probably thinks he can win, but the amount of money he is expected to make will take the sting away even if the expected outcome is the one we see. Should McGregor find a way to beat Mayweather, it would be arguably the biggest upset in the history of the sport.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012

Conor McGregor is being backed by a lot of the early Las Vegas action for his bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr, but one of the UFC star’s former sparring partners says he has no shot at winning the fight.

Former IBO welterweight champion Chris van Heerden, who sparred with McGregor in May 2016, told TMZ he was out of shape when he worked out with McGregor and was still able to dominate the Irishman.

“It’s crazy, I read all these posts where people say Mayweather’s gonna have his hands full landing on Conor because of Conor’s skill and footwork and movement,” van Heerden said. “I’m no Mayweather and — out of camp, out of shape — I landed (punches) on Conor McGregor at will.

“It’s crazy to think people can actually compare a fighter that’s 0-0 in a boxing ring compared to a legend that’s 49-0 and has beaten the best and best in the world.”

Van Heerden sparred with McGregor over a year ago, so there’s a chance the MMA fighter has improved significantly since then. That said, Mayweather is known as one of the smartest fighters and best defenders of all time. And even if McGregor does catch him with a big shot or two, van Heerden doesn’t think Conor will have enough power to knock Floyd out.

“No. He’s been hit by guys that can punch, and he didn’t go down,” van Heerden said. “He knows how to recover.”

McGregor probably thinks he can win, but the amount of money he is expected to make will take the sting away even if the expected outcome is the one we see. Should McGregor find a way to beat Mayweather, it would be arguably the biggest upset in the history of the sport.

:yeahthat:

Jun 19, 2017

Yeah if Connor wins the Boxing world itself will take a big hit.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Press conference:

Mayweather vs McGregor: Los Angeles Press Conference - YouTube

IRONFIST

Apr 20, 2007
not really interested in the fight, nothing but a pay day. but thought the press conference was entertaining lol.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Bahahaha...Did you see this dude's suit:sHa_thumbsup3:

As Joe Rogan said...Pinstriped as FUCK!

Attachments

• 19955852_1842327175794359_1311258244260583298_o.jpg
    19955852_1842327175794359_1311258244260583298_o.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 22

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Idk about paying the ppv fee and streaming is shotty. Im not sure how to feel about this fight coming from a background in boxing. I feel Floyd has the advantage as it is his sport and he is seasoned. Conor just sees UFC dying out after all the b.s. and other promotions are not as worldly popular, so he is chasing money. He also only has juvenile boxing training and focused more on MMA. So the advantage is in Floyd's favor. Gladiators fight for the crowd and the populous is feeding on this like crazy.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
Do you think McGregor actually believes he can win? He's got some hell of an ego. I enjoyed the comments. Pretty funny.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Idk about paying the ppv fee and streaming is shotty. Im not sure how to feel about this fight coming from a background in boxing. I feel Floyd has the advantage as it is his sport and he is seasoned. Conor just sees UFC dying out after all the b.s. and other promotions are not as worldly popular, so he is chasing money. He also only has juvenile boxing training and focused more on MMA. So the advantage is in Floyd's favor. Gladiators fight for the crowd and the populous is feeding on this like crazy.

UFC is dying out? I don't think that's happening. Even ten years ago, MMA was #1 in PPV, WWE was #2 and Boxing was #3. Boxing is the one that's been steadily losing traction.

Many people felt ripped off after the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight turned out to be a boring fight. How can anyone think this is fight will be entertaining? The press conferences will be entertaining...the weigh in will be entertaining but the fight itself is going to be the biggest scam and black eye in boxing history!

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
I wasn't implying MMA is dying, just that UFC is or was bleeding out with all the Dana White B.S., selling it off prior to the fighters organising into a union and than fighters making an exodus or getting bared from fights. Other promotions just are not as popular as UFC and if there are no new uo and coming great fighters to place mat hes the masses want to oay to see, than it is/will sink. Obviously this shows that boxing and MMA is hurting for quality fights.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Yeah I just caught the press conference what a fucking circus act. I was not entertained. Good thing it wasn't my fucking flag being tissed around... what utter disrespect. Fat ass Dana White just smilimg away because he is makimg miney iff of this too. What an embarrassment to both organizations. I like some tension and drama but I rather see some class and be able to respect at least one of the fighters.

Im no fighter and my opinion doesn't matter. Shit I barely follow the sports any more, so I habe no clue what is really going on. I just wanted to post some shit and get my post count up ahahah

gungalunga

Jul 5, 2017
89.95 for ppv and 99.95 for HD. How great would it be if one of them KO's the other in the first round and everyone that buys the ppv realizes they just threw almost a hundred bucks out the window.

Turkishexpress

Jul 13, 2017
89.95 for ppv and 99.95 for HD. How great would it be if one of them KO's the other in the first round and everyone that buys the ppv realizes they just threw almost a hundred bucks out the window.

You're not far off. The fight will last it's entirety with a million jabs thrown by mayweather and not a drop of blood will be shed. It's going to be a glorified dance off/cardio sessions. So in essence the spectators that spent good money will feel that way anyways :D