©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Have a HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!!

W

wolfyEVH

i just found out today that i have to go to court monday for a bench trial because i was contesting a traffic violation (supposedly disregarded a stop sign).....(didnt JUST find out, but i found my paper and remembered) but heres the thing, I am 4 hours away from home because i'm in school right now and i cant get ahold of the court house because they're closed for the weekend.....im sure i'd get my license suspended if i didnt show up, but i'd just rather see if a relative can pay my ticket (115 bucks) on that same monday or what?? i highly doubt i'd get arrested for a "failure to appear" at the bench trial.....do you think i could just call them first thing in the am and tell them my story?? think they'll let my mom or someone just pay it??? i may have to pay a failure to appear fee or something, but it shouldnt be more than 50 bucks i would assume....anyone have any info for me??? thanks

wolf

W

wolfyEVH

they "can", but i dont think they would execute it...considering it was me who wanted to go to court.....from what ive been reading, they'll send u a letter in the mail for another date, or charge you for a fee.......

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
It all depends on if your state designates traffic penalties as criminal or not. If they put out a warrant on you, they have to execute it. That is an order from a judge to "Pick you up." If you live in a bigger town, they probably wont put out a warrant because the courts are already backlogged. (NOT A GUARANTEE THOUGH). Small towns in general, will hammer it to you. At the minimum, send someone to represent you and hope the judge accepts it. If he doesnt, at least you'll know if they are going to come to getcha or not. Good luck.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
tee said:
It all depends on if your state designates traffic penalties as criminal or not. If they put out a warrant on you, they have to execute it. That is an order from a judge to "Pick you up." If you live in a bigger town, they probably wont put out a warrant because the courts are already backlogged. (NOT A GUARANTEE THOUGH). Small towns in general, will hammer it to you. At the minimum, send someone to represent you and hope the judge accepts it. If he doesnt, at least you'll know if they are going to come to getcha or not. Good luck.
That's true and I'm thinking if someone pays the clerk before court, the issue will be over without any additional penalties added. Even in a worse case scenario where a bench warrant was issued, you should be able to make arrangements to turn yourself in at a designated time and date.

W

wolfyEVH

the bench trial was scheduled for 8:30 am...i think i'll just call them when they open (8:00) and tell them that i will send someone to pay for it and ask if i need to pay anything else or turn myself in...i wont be home till thanksgiving, so i could come then......don't know exactly what they'd do if they arrested me....not like they'd throw me in jail for this....now maybe if i had to go to court for some other reason, (drugs, DUI, etc then that would be another story)

DragonRider said:
That's true and I'm thinking if someone pays the clerk before court, the issue will be over without any additional penalties added. Even in a worse case scenario where a bench warrant was issued, you should be able to make arrangements to turn yourself in at a designated time and date.