©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Body Opus Diet

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
I'm all in on Dan Duchaines Body Opus diet. For those unfamiliar it a keto diet for 5 days a week and a huge carb over load on the weekends. My thinking is I want to cut way back on this insulin so just pounding it on the weekends will leave me way ahead of the current consumption levels. As most of you know I'm gaining too fast for health porposes. may be this will slow the roll and I'll just feel better.

This is my question. How long does it take to fall into ketosis? All day Monday and taking insulin 5iu with each keto meal and the piss strips still say zero. The strips haven't even started to change color yet.

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
It depends on the person. The average person takes 1-2 weeks to truly get into full ketosis. It’s almost impossible to accomplish in just a few days. It takes time for your body to make those metabolic changes, days just isn’t feasible.

It doesn’t seem like the point of that diet is to get into ketosis. Isn’t it just a “ketogenic style” diet?

AlwaysRaw

Feb 5, 2018
It typically sucks for me to get into keto. I did lantus for a couple days (I think 3), and it put me into Keto. I never really get out of the keto flu as I am constantly pissed. I think it has to do something with the amount of muscle and the amount of exertion you put on it. For runners it great, as far as making them feel not shitty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sub7percent

Donating Member
Jun 6, 2016
Wow, good question. I thought you could drop in to keto in a couple days. That sucks!

I’ve never done it but I think you could consider using insulin to bring on ketosis faster. Not sure though. Might be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Are you still taking Glutamine?

If so, it can knock you out of ketosis. Decent will vary person to person, but remember overall calories will dictate fat loss in the end. There's that in-between area where you haven't quite reached ketosis, but blood sugar is low, and that area makes ya feel a little crappy. Once you are full in ketosis, and after awhile once your body has adapted to the change, you will feel better. I know you know this part.

If you have keto sticks, test your urine, purple means you are in. They aren't always accurate, or rather some things can interfere with the color change, but it is the easiest route to go by imo.

I don't ever go Keto anymore, I just don't need to get that hardcore to reach my goals, and I can manipulate carbs to reach my goals. That said, when I did use a CKD, I found it best at the time with a 6 day keto and 1 day carb-up, or 1.5 day carb-up, instead of a full 2 days. This will vary person to person though. I used to reach ketosis by the first or second day after the carb-up.

Mon and Tues I would train half the body at each session, almost HIT style with a few warm ups, then 1 all out set. I'd usually follow 1 high rep set after that. You want your heavy days right after your carb-up. If you do cardio, it will help lower blood glucose, but muscle glycogen will take resistance training.

On thurs, I'd hit light arms/abs and calves. Saturday morning, I'd do my large full body workout.

I never used slin while on the carb-up, but I did use humulin-r at low doses trying to get back into ketosis quicker after the carb-up. It was small doses, like 1-4iu. So I didn't use real large dosings.

This was way back in like 1999/2000 or something like that.....a long ass time ago, lol.

Last edited:

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I’ve never done it but I think you could consider using insulin to bring on ketosis faster. Not sure though. Might be worth looking into.

Ok, I’m no expert with insulin but, WOW does that sound INCREDIBLY dangerous!

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
It typically sucks for me to get into keto. I did lantus for a couple days (I think 3), and it put me into Keto. I never really get out of the keto flu as I am constantly pissed. I think it has to do something with the amount of muscle and the amount of exertion you put on it. For runners it great, as far as making them feel not shitty.

Hey, I want to welcome you to AnaSci and thank you for posting and being active.

CG

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Sully, yes on the face of it it's dangerous. But when using such small amounts and making sure the windows don't overlap, it does help get you there. At least that's what I'm reading. It sounds like Mr BMR has done this before and speak from experience.

BTW: I'm not trying to lose fat. I plan on keeping my base calories up to maintenance levels. I'm chasing the anabolic effects of the carb over load once a week.

Last edited:

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
I'm posting this over view to better help understand the Opus diet.

Dan Duchaine's Bodyopus Diet
Summary:
The Bodyopus approach is simple...low carbs for 5 days, high carbs on the weekend. An interesting approach to fat loss, and possibly a better way to utilize a keto run.
In Dan Duchaine's book, Underground Bodyopus: Militant Weight Loss & Recomposition, he outlines a bodybuilding diet known as the Body Opus approach. While Duchaine is well know for being a steroid guru, this should not dissuade natural bodybuilders from giving the diet a try.

Keto diets are well known in bodybuilding circles. Some proponents believe that long term keto runs are acceptable, and some bodybuilding gurus - such as Dr. Warren Willey (see his book, Better Than Steroids) - believe that keto diets should be used infrequently. The Body Opus diet splits the difference, and has you cycle on and off a keto diet during the week.

Simply put, the Body Opus approach has you on a keto diet during the week, and a high carb diet during the weekend. The weekend carb feeding isn't an arbitrary two day celebration. It exists to propel the body into a rebound effect. During the two high carb days, your body will be very anabolic. This is especially important for naturals, and the reason why naturals should pay attention to the Bodyopus plan.

It is said that weekend glycogen supercompensation will cause cellular expansion, and the result will be an anabolic burst that rivals the potency of steroids. While it is true that this anabolic state is relatively potent, it will never be as strong as a steroid user's anabolic state. The reason being is that a drug-using lifter has an artificially heightened testosterone level, which cannot be decreased by external factors such as fatigue, over-training, etc.

With that said, the Bodyopus approach is still a viable, and interesting diet approach for natural bodybuilders considering keto runs. What follows are the Bodyopus diet basics.

Monday Through Friday

During the week, you will eat:

10% fewer calories then your caloric maintenance level.
30% of your calories from protein, 70% from fat.
So, for a bodybuilder who neither gains of loses weight at 3,000 calories per day, the Bodyopus plan would have then consuming 2,700 calories during weekdays. This would mean that 1,869 calories would come from fat, and 831 calories would come from protein. Breaking this down, you would eat:

208 daily grams of protein
208 daily grams of fat
Basically, your daily split - when looking at grams - is 50/50.

Saturday and Sunday

During the weekend, you will eat:

5-10% more calories then your caloric maintenance level.
60% of your calories from carbs, 25% from protein, and 15% from fat.
To continue our example, a bodybuilder with a caloric maintenance level of 3,000 calories would eat 3,150 to 3,300 daily calories on the weekend. Using the median of 3,225, this would equate to 1,935 calories from carbs, 806 calories from protein, and 484 calories from fat. Breaking this down, you would eat:

202 grams of protein
484 grams of carbs
53 grams of fat

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I'm posting this over view to better help understand the Opus diet.

Dan Duchaine's Bodyopus Diet
Summary:
The Bodyopus approach is simple...low carbs for 5 days, high carbs on the weekend. An interesting approach to fat loss, and possibly a better way to utilize a keto run.
In Dan Duchaine's book, Underground Bodyopus: Militant Weight Loss & Recomposition, he outlines a bodybuilding diet known as the Body Opus approach. While Duchaine is well know for being a steroid guru, this should not dissuade natural bodybuilders from giving the diet a try.

Keto diets are well known in bodybuilding circles. Some proponents believe that long term keto runs are acceptable, and some bodybuilding gurus - such as Dr. Warren Willey (see his book, Better Than Steroids) - believe that keto diets should be used infrequently. The Body Opus diet splits the difference, and has you cycle on and off a keto diet during the week.

Simply put, the Body Opus approach has you on a keto diet during the week, and a high carb diet during the weekend. The weekend carb feeding isn't an arbitrary two day celebration. It exists to propel the body into a rebound effect. During the two high carb days, your body will be very anabolic. This is especially important for naturals, and the reason why naturals should pay attention to the Bodyopus plan.

It is said that weekend glycogen supercompensation will cause cellular expansion, and the result will be an anabolic burst that rivals the potency of steroids. While it is true that this anabolic state is relatively potent, it will never be as strong as a steroid user's anabolic state. The reason being is that a drug-using lifter has an artificially heightened testosterone level, which cannot be decreased by external factors such as fatigue, over-training, etc.

With that said, the Bodyopus approach is still a viable, and interesting diet approach for natural bodybuilders considering keto runs. What follows are the Bodyopus diet basics.

Monday Through Friday

During the week, you will eat:

10% fewer calories then your caloric maintenance level.
30% of your calories from protein, 70% from fat.
So, for a bodybuilder who neither gains of loses weight at 3,000 calories per day, the Bodyopus plan would have then consuming 2,700 calories during weekdays. This would mean that 1,869 calories would come from fat, and 831 calories would come from protein. Breaking this down, you would eat:

208 daily grams of protein
208 daily grams of fat
Basically, your daily split - when looking at grams - is 50/50.

Saturday and Sunday

During the weekend, you will eat:

5-10% more calories then your caloric maintenance level.
60% of your calories from carbs, 25% from protein, and 15% from fat.
To continue our example, a bodybuilder with a caloric maintenance level of 3,000 calories would eat 3,150 to 3,300 daily calories on the weekend. Using the median of 3,225, this would equate to 1,935 calories from carbs, 806 calories from protein, and 484 calories from fat. Breaking this down, you would eat:

202 grams of protein
484 grams of carbs
53 grams of fat

Yeah, I wouldn’t call this an actual ketogenic diet. It used the same caloric breakdown as a standard keto diet, but it functions more as a carb cycling diet. There just isn’t enough time in that 5 day window to get into true ketosis.

I think I posted a link to a study about carb cycling diets in one of your posts a few weeks ago. They definitely work, and the science confirms it. But, don’t confuse carb cycling with ketosis the way Duchaine did.

AlwaysRaw

Feb 5, 2018
It looks like the anabolic diet I saw on strong lifts, Keto 5 days then carb load 2.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
If you decide to do this let us know how it goes. I have never trired it myself as I prefer a more balanced approach. I am curious how it works out though.

hockeylifter7

Dec 12, 2017
Check out the ultimate diet 2.0 (UD2) from Lyle McDonald. Duchaine was lyles mentor and Lyle created UD2 which is an updated and better version of body opus. He shifted the days around and optimized it. I've done UD2 and it just plain sucks to put yourself through but the results are insane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DNA

Apr 19, 2014
Hollywood, CA
I did this diet back in 2000 when the book was fairly new! It works amazingly! You can throw off the keto sticks if your protein intake is too high. Your body can produce glucose from the protein which will throw your ketones off. It’s beem a long long time since I read the book, but I believe you need %70 of calories from fat and only %30 from protein.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
DNA, thats a welcome point you just made. I've been on the diet HARD since Monday morning. The sticks are still reading on the very first level of indicating any level of ketones in my system. I'm eating a huge amount of proteins to keep from cannibalizing my muscle for BCAA. I have read the normal keto diet takes 3lbs of fat for every 1 lb of muscle. No way I'm going to trade off muscle like that. At my age the muscle is way to hard to find to just give it back like that.

Last edited:

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
DNA, that a welcome point you just made. I've been on the diet HARD since Monday morning. The sticks are still reading on the very first level of indicating and level of ketones in my system. I'm eating a huge amount of proteins to keep from cannibalizing my muscle for BCAA. I have read the normal keto diet takes 3lbs of fat for every 1 lb of muscle. No way I'm going to trade off muscle like that. At my age the muscle is way to hard to find to just give it back like that.

I’ve never lost that much muscle on a keto diet. EVER. At that rate a keto diet would be unsustainable for anyone for more than a few months. I know plenty of people that have stayed on a ketogenic diet for years at a time. I don’t know where those types of generalizations come from, but they aren’t accurate.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Do you think the gear would help slow muscle loss? That's what I'm thinking.

Sully are you suggesting everything found in print isn't true and accurate? Your never going to get anywhere with crazy ideas like that!

b-boy

IFBB Pro / AnaSCI VIP
Aug 11, 2004
WTF? you are NOT going to lose muscle on a ketogenic diet, this is 2018 and there are a ton of studies now proving this, ketones are protein sparing just like carbs are, the cool thing is that once you become fat adapted your blood Leucine levels will be way higher than people burning sugar for fuel.