©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk's prep log for 12/5 Meet

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Sorry Hawk, I must have missed this. BP and sides can be a problem, especially when start to hinder your training. Like you mentioned, a minimal dose of drol for 4 weeks would keep sides at ba and give you some additional strength. Another option would be to try something a bit stronger like sdrol or halo. Give you a bit more in the strength department and could be run in the last three weeks. You could try a half dose on off days and an additional dose preworkout. Alternately, you could try preworkout only for the first week and a half and adding an additional full dose the final week and a half. I've done all and found strength was best with the last option. All are quite conservative by most standards, but still give a nice strength boost with minimal sides. As far as you shoulder, treat it like gold. Psych is right, stretch. DC after the muscle it worked. I would also advise broomstick stretches several times a day. If your like me, I can't with a broomstick but a stiff band works well to. Get in there with your fingers or Thera-Cane to break up adhesions and stimulate blood flow. If it still continues to bother you, there is always peps.

Well, we're even cuz I missed this lol. I also like tne. :) I did up my stretching or rather take it seriously. I did just get a massage however and need to get a theracane. I have a wooden ball that does wonders on my rhomboids and teres. Each week things improve, but man low bar squats do most of the damage.

Hawk

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Psyche, can you break this down a bit more?

Thanks bro,

Hawk

I'm just saying that if you're taking the way I understand it, you are tapering off the volume closer tot he meet. This is good cause the longer you train heavy the harder it is to recover and run the risk of injury.

So you are lowering the the volume and upping the intensity. Which is good too. But when you start doing 85% which is normally a heavy 5 rep IN MY OPINION, and doing it for 3 I don't think you're really pushing the muscle. Now this might be fine for you, IMO I can handle crushing workouts from sheiko. NOT EVERYONE CAN. We are all special and different snow flakes ;)

But my point is if you're taking lifts 85%+ and only doing 3 and 2 with 90%, etc with low volume sets of 1, you're not having alot of time doing really heavy time under tension and building that cns. Which would make me think when you have a day where you are going 95%+ 9 times will you be in shape to make it to the deadlift.

I could be missing something here, if I am I apologize. But I do know you work manual labor so right off the bat that's cns building right there. Never met a weak contractor ;) Everyone trains differently. My boy J i train with the usapl/ipf guy Ed has him do low volume high high intensity close to a meet. Me on the other hand Ed would just smash the fuck out of me till I was stupid and the burn me in volume. Because I respond to abuse. If this works for you then by all means try it out and do it! You're on the right path training smart.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I'm just saying that if you're taking the way I understand it, you are tapering off the volume closer tot he meet. This is good cause the longer you train heavy the harder it is to recover and run the risk of injury.

So you are lowering the the volume and upping the intensity. Which is good too. But when you start doing 85% which is normally a heavy 5 rep IN MY OPINION, and doing it for 3 I don't think you're really pushing the muscle. Now this might be fine for you, IMO I can handle crushing workouts from sheiko. NOT EVERYONE CAN. We are all special and different snow flakes ;)

But my point is if you're taking lifts 85%+ and only doing 3 and 2 with 90%, etc with low volume sets of 1, you're not having alot of time doing really heavy time under tension and building that cns. Which would make me think when you have a day where you are going 95%+ 9 times will you be in shape to make it to the deadlift.

I could be missing something here, if I am I apologize. But I do know you work manual labor so right off the bat that's cns building right there. Never met a weak contractor ;) Everyone trains differently. My boy J i train with the usapl/ipf guy Ed has him do low volume high high intensity close to a meet. Me on the other hand Ed would just smash the fuck out of me till I was stupid and the burn me in volume. Because I respond to abuse. If this works for you then by all means try it out and do it! You're on the right path training smart.

I totally agree on philosophy psyche. But, my work capacity sucks. When you turned me on to sheiko 29 I did it for 8 weeks, 3x week at which point I struggled with 315x3. I took 1 week off, then 2 and then deloaded 3 more. It kicked my ass, but I did well at my meet setting a new pr total. At this point I realized that being 44, working for a living and my own dna meaned I needed to train with lower volume. Although I still favor higher frequency training. I squatted 3xwk, dlx1 and benched 2xwk leading up to this point.

In order to do that I could only do one day of rpe 9, the other had to be 7 or 8s. It was an ongoing experiment, and I will pick it up after the meet. Till then my plan is to not overreach, I can't peak while accumulating fatigue. Rather I want to maximize my cns which was neglected by weeks of base building volume.

To tell the truth what surprised me most was how little volume my bench could handle. I may be a wuss, but I prefer to think I am at an advantage since I get good results from less volume than many of my peers.

Also, please don't underestimate father time. I know guys like stan set records at this age, but he didn't work and used more Rx than I can afford. Most , masters guys down this way have gone single ply and most guys won't even make it that long. This pling shit is hard on the body.

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I totally agree on philosophy psyche. But, my work capacity sucks. When you turned me on to sheiko 29 I did it for 8 weeks, 3x week at which point I struggled with 315x3. I took 1 week off, then 2 and then deloaded 3 more. It kicked my ass, but I did well at my meet setting a new pr total. At this point I realized that being 44, working for a living and my own dna meaned I needed to train with lower volume. Although I still favor higher frequency training. I squatted 3xwk, dlx1 and benched 2xwk leading up to this point.

In order to do that I could only do one day of rpe 9, the other had to be 7 or 8s. It was an ongoing experiment, and I will pick it up after the meet. Till then my plan is to not overreach, I can't peak while accumulating fatigue. Rather I want to maximize my cns which was neglected by weeks of base building volume.

To tell the truth what surprised me most was how little volume my bench could handle. I may be a wuss, but I prefer to think I am at an advantage since I get good results from less volume than many of my peers.

Also, please don't underestimate father time. I know guys like stan set records at this age, but he didn't work and used more Rx than I can afford. Most , masters guys down this way have gone single ply and most guys won't even make it that long. This pling shit is hard on the body.

Hawk

Sheiko is a motherfucker for sure!

The rpe thing ain't my cup of tea. Some people can work with it I just bulldoze through shit. To each his own, like how I hate Pepsi and blueberries LOL! But if you like it, and it works for you, then do it. Out of like 9 guys I know one other that can do Sheiko. Everyone else is different.

YES time gets us all. I agree 100% Just keep doin you. If a thing works ride that shit. If it doesn't dump it. Kinda like girlfriends :p

But any time you need to bounce ideas off any one I'm here bro. I know you got my number, at least I hope. Cause I sent you that squat pic and somebody responded......

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ok, so because of lagging wi fi due to the 4 kids who never set their dam phones down, I lost my last two posts.

Anyway, psyche I am paying the price for neglecting my deads. I am sitting in the low fives when I have done close to 600 over a year ago. Anyway, I am going to assume most of it is cns as I don't suspect my back has atrophied that much. So, I am thinking of working up to a heavy single each week and adding 10lbs to the bar each week. This equals around 2% which if it is truly a cns issue I should be able to handle it. I will follow that with a back off with 405. I do wonder if every other week would be better, but don't think so if the volume is low.

So, last Friday
Dl 225x3,315x2,405x1,455x1,520x1, 405x5
Pull downs 4x12
Pull thru 3x12
Ez curls 3x15

Today which is Monday 10/19
My chest was tight as hell, had an awful time with hydration today.
Thank fully it was a lighter day.
Bench 320x4 sets of 2,225x20
Stand press 135x10,155x8,8
Iso press 75x3x12
Calves 3 x15

I may lighten back Thursday bench day, but I will start with hydration.

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Ok, so because of lagging wi fi due to the 4 kids who never set their dam phones down, I lost my last two posts.

Anyway, psyche I am paying the price for neglecting my deads. I am sitting in the low fives when I have done close to 600 over a year ago. Anyway, I am going to assume most of it is cns as I don't suspect my back has atrophied that much. So, I am thinking of working up to a heavy single each week and adding 10lbs to the bar each week. This equals around 2% which if it is truly a cns issue I should be able to handle it. I will follow that with a back off with 405. I do wonder if every other week would be better, but don't think so if the volume is low.

So, last Friday
Dl 225x3,315x2,405x1,455x1,520x1, 405x5
Pull downs 4x12
Pull thru 3x12
Ez curls 3x15

Today which is Monday 10/19
My chest was tight as hell, had an awful time with hydration today.
Thank fully it was a lighter day.
Bench 320x4 sets of 2,225x20
Stand press 135x10,155x8,8
Iso press 75x3x12
Calves 3 x15

I may lighten back Thursday bench day, but I will start with hydration.

Hawk

I'm just messin with ya bro

Attachments

• Pius-X-I-told-you-so.jpg
    Pius-X-I-told-you-so.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 30

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Yeah, you were right and I said as much in the posts were deleted. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. Keep in mind I am getting old and my shoulder sucks.

Tuesday 10/20
Squat 225/3,315/3,405/1,455/1,480/2,2,2
Tried my new 3m wraps today. Went loose for first double, not bad...wrapped medium the next time and holy S, what a boost. Gonna take a bit to learn to sit back into them. Oh and my brand new 36" Inzer wraps broke when the dam velcro ripped off. Fock! I pitched my old ones.
CB Rows 3x10
Rotator work 3x12
DB curls 2x10

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Honestly you can work the deadlift with bands and do a speed routine after squating. It's not that taxing and will work the muscles needed for the dead that just got hit from squatting.

How is your weight? Cause if you can start carbing up it will help.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Honestly you can work the deadlift with bands and do a speed routine after squating. It's not that taxing and will work the muscles needed for the dead that just got hit from squatting.

How is your weight? Cause if you can start carbing up it will help.

I am a plump 275, I want to add a few lbs...but dam it's still 75-80 in these parts. I still have some gas after squats on Tuesday. What rep/weight are you suggesting? 70% for some trips or a bit lighter?

Thanks,
Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
50-60% 8 sets of 3 with bands of chains for speed 30 sec breaks between sets.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Thursday 10/22

Shoulder rehab day. It was another warm day deck building, so hydration was a bit of an issue. I do think I am getting on top of it. Anyway, my chest was super tight and has been, but it felt better after some warm ups. I think the constant stretching has something to do with it. I also decided to drop the flies in favor of more streching, I want the effect without the volume.

Feet up bench 135x15,185x15,15, 15
Front raise 50x10,10,10
Side laterals 35s x12,12,12
Calves and stretching

Hawk

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I neglected stretching for years to the point I could barely tie my shoes or wipe my ass. Once DC came out I remained dligent in those stretches and foam rolling. Very underrated part of lifting. Our line of work doesn't help either. Glad to hear your getting a little relief. Hawk, have you ever tried Cissus? Great OTC supp for joints. Actually gives me more relief than deca. My wife can't run without it

Thursday 10/22

Shoulder rehab day. It was another warm day deck building, so hydration was a bit of an issue. I do think I am getting on top of it. Anyway, my chest was super tight and has been, but it felt better after some warm ups. I think the constant stretching has something to do with it. I also decided to drop the flies in favor of more streching, I want the effect without the volume.

Feet up bench 135x15,185x15,15, 15
Front raise 50x10,10,10
Side laterals 35s x12,12,12
Calves and stretching

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I neglected stretching for years to the point I could barely tie my shoes or wipe my ass. Once DC came out I remained dligent in those stretches and foam rolling. Very underrated part of lifting. Our line of work doesn't help either. Glad to hear your getting a little relief. Hawk, have you ever tried Cissus? Great OTC supp for joints. Actually gives me more relief than deca. My wife can't run without it

Thanks for chiming in Magnus as sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who deals with this chit. Part, is because I am surrounded by younger lifters. The other is that I am not alone. Years of bad posture along with neglect and manual labor can not be cured overnight I suppose. However, I am on a time line if I want to get some of these master's records.

Anyway, it was a decent dl day, well at least my mind was in it. I did work through lunch so I powered down a burrito beforehand. Not, good I know but it tasted great.

10/23
DL 225x3,315x2,405x1,475x1,530x1,405x6. Better than last week, but I am waiting for some sort of surge that ain't gonna happen.
Pulldow 225x10,10,10
Pull thru supersetted with pull overs. 3 sets of 15.
Ez curls 3x10

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Sounds like westside my brother,

Hawk

Yes it is. Sheiko and westside in certain aspects are the same theory. The heavy week of sheiko is west side just that they do it over and over by switching exercises. If you look at my log it's like west side, more metal militia than anything.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Tuesday 10/27

Bench went pretty good yesterday. 85% for doubles which equals 340. These sets went well and while tight, the went fast even with a pause.

Today was squat day, doubles with 510 were easy and smooth. Next week will be 540.

Squat with wraps 225x5,315x3,405x1,455x1,510x2,2
DL one mat (I'll add another next week and so on) 315×2,2,2,2.

Go home

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Friday 10/30
So, Thursday was prehab day, benched super light, lots of stretching and stability work. I think the bulk of my issues come from low bar squating combined with poor mobility. But, what is a guy to do? I just keep stretching and doing what I need to do.

Friday I dead which is still very discouraging. I didn't realize how much I suck at it. Nonetheless, we go forward. I decided to do more singles with a lighter weight in order to grease the groove. I still want all the nueral improvement I can get so hence the heavyish weight.

DL 225x3,315x2,405x1,495x1,455x1,1,1, 405x5
CB Rows 3x12
pull through 3x15

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Monday 11/2

Monday is bench day of course. However, I never know what to expect, but appears that the combination of rehab, easing up on stretching over the weekend and my second bench day. Today did not dissapoint. I did my top double with ease. Progress is progress however and at the very least my shoulder held together.

I also, have decided to take psyche's advice and up the deads, so I am greasing the groove by adding some deadlifts to each session. 315 for 3 sets of 2 reps. Which is 60% of my max.

11/2
Bench warm up, 315x2,345x2,365x2,315x3 (paused)
Deadlift 315x2,2,2
Band pull through 3x15

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
11/3 Tuesday

Squat day! I walked in unmotivated, but had a job to do. So, I usually don't lsiten to music during my peaking cycle, but I made an exception during warm ups. Just needed to get a flow going and it worked.

I am adding additional dl's so I am cutting out accessory work, that should aid in recovery as well.

Squat, 225x3,315x3,405x1,495x1,545x2 smooth and solid and not a max effort. Just where I needed to be.
DL 315x2,2,2
Pulldown 3x12
EZ curl 3x12

Hawk