©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Help with pneumonia

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I've had a case of pneumonia for almost 3 weeks total now. Went to the clinic about a week ago and he gave me an antibiotic, Levoquin, and Singulair. Told me to call my doctor if I wasn't feeling better in 5 days, but my doctor's office has been closed since Wednesday for New Years. Makes me wish I had become a doctor, then I could take a week off work for a made up holiday.

I'm gonna call my doc on Monday, but I already know how it's gonna go. They're going to tell me either i can make an appointment, which will be 4-6 weeks away, or I can go to the hospital. I'm not going to the fucking hospital! Period. End of discussion. So my only real option is to go back to the clinic.

So, is there anything I should ask the doctor at the clinic for? Is there a stronger antibiotic? Something that can be injected? Would something like Decadron help? Is there something I should be doing to help get better that I don't know about? Any and all suggestions are relevant. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. And I'm really sick of it sounding like a bowl of rice crispies when I breathe.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Wow that's a long time . did he specifically test for which pathogen/pathogens you may have. This would allow for targeted treatment rather than a blanketed regime. If it's really bad, he could give you a rocephin IV followed with the correct oral. In the meantime, pound your bcaas and eat as many colorful fruits and vegetables as you can, brighter more colorful the better. Get better and keep us posted

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
No testing. Just listened to my lungs and said I had a lot of fluid buildup in them, and it was probably pneumonia. It's one of those in and out clinics, they don't have much in the way of testing resources I don't believe. Mostly for people that have the sniffles and want a note for a day off of work. You can't get in to a real doctor when you're sick anymore. I guess I'll have to start scheduling my sickness a couple months in advance from now on.

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Man, I think I'm in the same boat. No official diagnosis but I've not been breathing right for about a month. I cough and produce so much mucous that I have to use an inhaler or I'll choke.

Doxycycline is one of the best for pneumonia and walking pneumonia. The only caveat with it is that you have to avoid eating calcium 2 hrs before and after when taking it. Otherwise it binds to the calcium and is excreted. I'm on day 4 of it and like day 7 of another antibiotic and I'me still not convinced my condition is improving. I may need to see a pulminologist.

Defienlty sucks being sick and not getting better. Extremely upsetting.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Good luck man. I had pneumonia a few years ago and it sucked badly. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I was feeling horrible, and coughing alot, etc. My doctor did a chest xray and inside my lungs looked milky white. Don't play around with it though, see a doc asap..

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
The weirdest part is, I feel fine. I don't feel sick, like when I have the flu or a cold. It's just a constant cough that I can't get rid of, and a weezing and crackling sound when I'm exhaling. Maybe a little sinus congestion the last few days, but not anything that bothers me. Other than that, I feel ok. I've been working the entire time. I even fought a fire a couple nights ago at work, wearing a respirator and the whole 9 yards, no problem. Except for the coughing that sends my BP through the roof, gives me a massive headache, and makes me so light headed that I end up on my knees.

Definitely gotta get this shit figured out on Monday, though.

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
The weirdest part is, I feel fine. I don't feel sick, like when I have the flu or a cold. It's just a constant cough that I can't get rid of, and a weezing and crackling sound when I'm exhaling. Maybe a little sinus congestion the last few days, but not anything that bothers me. Other than that, I feel ok. I've been working the entire time. I even fought a fire a couple nights ago at work, wearing a respirator and the whole 9 yards, no problem. Except for the coughing that sends my BP through the roof, gives me a massive headache, and makes me so light headed that I end up on my knees.

Definitely gotta get this shit figured out on Monday, though.
That sounds like what I'm experiencing. But, the antibiotic doesn't seem to be helping, which makes it all the more perplexing. At this point, I should have noticed improvement.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
wheezing and crackling is indicative of fluid on the lungs, which doesn't really sound like pneumonia(pneumonia is more coarse/rhonchi sounding with lots of sputum production)...is there a possibility you could be fluid overloaded for some reason?

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
wheezing and crackling is indicative of fluid on the lungs, which doesn't really sound like pneumonia(pneumonia is more coarse/rhonchi sounding with lots of sputum production)...is there a possibility you could be fluid overloaded for some reason?

I don't know. What would cause that? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
I don't know. What would cause that? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason.

well I was really meaning sully since the doc heard fluid on the lung and he hears the wheezing and crackling himself...but same applies to anyone...

what causes fluid overload? having more fluid in your blood than your kidneys can pee off...like a bulking cycle/lifestyle would cause it...over loading the ability of the heart

Last edited:

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
It's basically congestive heart failure...the fluid is from your blood...blood doesn't leak thru the capillary membrane into your lungs/atmosphere, but plasma in the blood will...what forces the plasma out of the blood? lots of pressure and/or lots of volume

normally in older people the chf is from the kidneys retaining fluid...hopefully in sullys case it's just an acute bout of chf from too many rbc's from the eq...maybe donating blood will make ya feel better...

Done labs in a while? know your h&h, hematocrit and hemoglobin?

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
well I was really meaning sully since the doc heard fluid on the lung and he hears the wheezing and crackling himself...but same applies to anyone...

what causes fluid overload? having more fluid in your blood than your kidneys can pee off...like a bulking cycle/lifestyle would cause it...over loading the ability of the heart

So, with that, I have put on 47 lbs bulking in the last 12 months.

Recommendations to counter this please?

Thanks brother.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Nope, no reason I would have any CHF. Not running any gear right now, haven't used anything since February/March. I'm not bulking, but have out on some weight recently as my elbow has been giving me problems and I aggravated a pair of herniated disks in my lower back, recently. I've put on some weight, but I've also been way heavier than this in the past.

Blood pressure is always in fairly good shape. Stays 130-140/65-70. Systolic is slightly high, but nothing to be concerned about.

Had annual labs done mid-year. All numbers were within standard testing range. Total cholesterol was at the top end of the normal range, but still within range. I process fluids well, pee regularly, usually mostly clear, drink water throughout the day. I'm generally in overall good health, despite what my knees, elbows and lower back would have me believe.

I get sick usually once a year, generally either a sinus infection or a case of strep throat. As a general rule I avoid medications, both OTC and prescription.

101st Ranger

Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
Wow! Thanks hump! I really didn't think of that and that's serious business.

Sorry if I hijacked Sully. I didn't mean to...

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013

Thanks brother.

really just managing fluid balance with a good diuretic is the only thing you can do...get a good cardiologist...

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Nope, no reason I would have any CHF. Not running any gear right now, haven't used anything since February/March. I'm not bulking, but have out on some weight recently as my elbow has been giving me problems and I aggravated a pair of herniated disks in my lower back, recently. I've put on some weight, but I've also been way heavier than this in the past.

Blood pressure is always in fairly good shape. Stays 130-140/65-70. Systolic is slightly high, but nothing to be concerned about.

Had annual labs done mid-year. All numbers were within standard testing range. Total cholesterol was at the top end of the normal range, but still within range. I process fluids well, pee regularly, usually mostly clear, drink water throughout the day. I'm generally in overall good health, despite what my knees, elbows and lower back would have me believe.

I get sick usually once a year, generally either a sinus infection or a case of strep throat. As a general rule I avoid medications, both OTC and prescription.

well dang, I dunno, maybe your immune system is just in the shitter from working too much and it is just pneumonia!

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013

Thanks brother.

If you really want to do yourself a favor keep your sodium intake less than 1,000mg's per day...eat as many calories you want, just keep sodium less than 1,000...I bet you will find it incredibly difficult

1 regular chic fil a chicken sandwich has 1400mg of sodium!!! it's freaking criminal, that should be against the law!!

Last edited:

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
well dang, I dunno, maybe your immune system is just in the shitter from working too much and it is just pneumonia!

That's definitely not it. The working too much part, at least. I quit my second job back in September, so I'm back to only working every third day. 10 work days a month isn't too much, even if they are 24 hour shifts. Let's see who gets jealous first.....:D