©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What should I major in?

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I'm looking at going to school through an online college, and I need some help selecting a major. We've got some smart people here with very diverse backgrounds and skills, and I'm interested in any and all input that anyone might have, good or bad. Let me give you a quick rundown on me, and then I'll list the available majors I can pick from.

I'll be retiring from the fire department in about 6 years and I want to have a Bachelors before I retire. I have no interest in doing anything related to the fire service once I retire. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do something related to whatever field I major in, but for enough money I'll do whatever.

My major concerns are income potential, where I live, and a work schedule that allows time off with family. Somewhere on the west coast is ideal for me. Central Cali and Oregon are high on my list.

I would prefer to stay out of healthcare, and I struggle with math. I have a strong competency in written and verbal communication, and an ability to comprehend complex systems and technical subjects. Graduate school is a possibility, but if I can make a good living without it that would be ideal.

Here's the list of available majors that they offer. It's long, I know. But, I'd highly appreciate you taking a look and seeing if there's anything you're familiar with that you think would be a great choice for a major/ career.

Anthropology (BA)
Art History (BA)
Business - Administration (BA)
Business - Communication (BA)
Business - Food Industry Management (BA)
Business - Global Leadership (BA)
Business - Global Logistics Management (BA)
Business - Retail Management (BA)
Business - Sustainability (BA)
Business - Tourism (BA)
Business Data Analytics (BS)
Communication (BS)
Community Advocacy and Social Policy (BA)
Community Health (BS)
Criminology and Criminal Justice (BS)
Educational Studies (BAE)
Electrical Engineering (BSE)
Engineering Management (BSE)
English (BA)
Family & Human Development (BS)
Film - Film & Media Studies (BA)
Geography (BA)
Geography (BS)
Global Health (BA)
Graphic Information Technology (BS)
Health Care Coordination (BS)
Health Education and Health Promotion (BS)
Healthy Lifestyles Coaching (Health Sciences) (BS)
History (BA)
Information Technology (BS)
Integrative Health (BS)
Interdisciplinary Studies (BA)
Interdisciplinary Studies - Organizational Studies (BA)
Internet & Web Development (Applied Science
Justice Studies (BS)
Liberal Studies (BLS)
Management (BS)
Marketing (BS)
Mass Communication and Media Studies (BA)
Nutrition - Food and Nutrition Management (BS)
Nutrition Communication (BS)
Operations Management (Applied Science BAS)
Organizational Leadership (BA)
Philosophy (BA)
Political Science (BA)
Political Science (BS)
Psychology (BA)
Psychology (BS)
Public Service and Public Policy (BS)
Public Service and Public Policy - Emergency Management Homeland Security (BS)
Sociology (BS)
Software Engineering (BS)
Spanish (BA)
Sustainability (BA)
Technical Communication (BS)
Technological Entrepreneurship and Management (BS)
Urban Planning (BSP)

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Oh, almost forgot. Benefits don't concern me much. I'll have a pension and free healthcare care for the rest of my life when I retire, so other than maybe a nice 401K, I don't care about the rest. And I'd prefer not to do anything dirty or terribly physical. I'll have spent 20 years working as a dirty roughneck. Being clean and air conditioned would be a welcome change of pace.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Sully comimg from some one who lives in Cali, work here is not great and oberly competitive. The cost of living is outrageous and Oregon or Washington would be a much better place.

Again coming from some one with work and educational experience and finishing my degree and many certs in a related field, I would highly suggest something with computers. That way you have an option to work from home possibly, and travel. All my buddies in Info Tech field make a great living and have plenty of time for raising kids.

Stay away from criminal justice, politics, sociology or psychology fields as they require mass amounts of education and time on the job.

Business management or electrical engineering can provide you with office jobs but may require a lot of time working too.

If I could redo it all, I would shoot for business management with an emphasis in international marketing or something with computers.

If you are dead set on central Cali, i would check out silicone valley and look at all available jobs and the requirements.

I personally am getting into the legal field and would suggest it if its something that interests you. However, I did just recently start taking a pilots course for my license and trying to become a helicopter warrant officer in the army. Something about flying and having a few years of job security is appealing to me haha.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I'm not dead set on any specific area at this point. I liked the central Cali area when I went out there to visit my sister last year. She lives in the SLO area, and I really enjoyed it a lot. And having family near by would be a plus. The weather was incredible, but you aren't kidding when you talk about the cost of living. It is completely outrageous.

More than likely I'll end up somewhere like Portland or somewhere in Washington, though. Lower cost of living, better job prospects, few less people. But like I said, not set on anywhere specific, more so just the west coast in general.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Urban planning, waste water treatment, sanitation, construction osha safety, public works certifications in supervision or management would be good as well. You can work on getting project management or project coordinator positions.

I would consider using your work experience for something in the private sector. If only there were something to do with fire suppression, arson investigations like private investigators, etc.

Maybe union companies working on public work sites such as pipe fitters or electricians could use something in relation to osha safety/fire systems. Shit maybe get a info tech degree in drafting and engineering fire systems.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I would consider using your work experience for something in the private sector. If only there were something to do with fire suppression, arson investigations like private investigators, etc.

There are jobs in the private sector that involve fire investigation, but I have no interest in them, for several reasons. Insurance companies employees a lot of retired firefighters and fire investigators to investigate fires for them. The problem with that job is that they're basically being paid to find reasons why the insurance company shouldn't have to pay a claim. I don't want to spend the second half of my career getting paid to screw the same people that I used to get paid to help.

I know a few guys that work in that field, and while they do make a really good income, across the board they all hate what they do.

So, about computers. Can anyone tell me how math intensive a degree involving computers is? I know all computer degrees are different, so is there a degree that requires fewer math classes than others? I feel like I'm generally a pretty intelligent person, but my brain just really struggles with numbers, and always has.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Depending on what type of institution you choose, not much math at all. If youbgo to a community college and transfer to a university or just a university you will need to complete general education requirements. If you go to a private Institute it is just what they established for the degree. Every private school is different somewhat. Kaplan, phoenix, national university or Arizona state online are great schools. Computer wise ITT maybe but they are shady.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I'm looking at Arizona State Online. I found out that Starbucks employees get free tuition to ASU online, and I need a part time job anyway, so it's a pretty good arrangement. I figure I can sling some coffee a couple hours a week and get a free degree at the same time.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Starbucks seems to have a good ceo. I think free tuition for the 1st year or full ride if its business related to the company is a great investment in the individual. It allows the people to take pride in what they do and accountability for their company and a possibility to advance within the company. I would say do it bro.

ASU appears to be a bad ass school with a great educational program for what ever discipline is chosen. If i do go into the military that will be the school i will go to for online classes.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Starbucks seems to have a good ceo. I think free tuition for the 1st year or full ride if its business related to the company is a great investment in the individual. It allows the people to take pride in what they do and accountability for their company and a possibility to advance within the company. I would say do it bro.

ASU appears to be a bad ass school with a great educational program for what ever discipline is chosen. If i do go into the military that will be the school i will go to for online classes.

It's actually even better than that. They provide free tuition at a discounted rate for any employee all the way through to achieving their bachelors degree. They don't limit you to majors that are related to the industry, and there's no obligation to work for the company for any amount of time once you receive your degree.

It's basically a free 4 year degree. I don't know of any other company that offers anything like that for it's employees. Starbucks has it's issues and detractors, but things like that really show that they're on another level compared to other corporations in this country. For a company to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in it's employees with no guarantee of any return on their investment is a pretty huge. In my mind it sets them apart from most other companies in a massive way.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I've thought about Management, but it just seems so....vague. What kind of career path would one go down with just a Management degree? Or maybe the generalized nature of Management and the versatility it provides is what makes the degree desirable?

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Alot of people looking, but not a lot of guys with input. You don't have to have a degree to have something to add to the conversation guys. Even something as simple as, "If I had it to do all over again I would do this...." could be helpful. I'm open to any advice or information that anyone might contribute.

And I appreciate the help so far Lycan and Millburn. You've already given me some good ideas that I need to do some more research on. The first one is, what's the difference between an IT degree and a Computer Programming degree? And how do the job opportunities and salaries differ?

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Correction, what the difference between Information Technology and Software Engineering?

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Info tech is more network installation, management and using/installing software. Fixing computure hardware issues, etc. You can get certifications that make you a better candidate. Much faster and easier option. Good jobs but very competitive as well. I looked into it as im self taught and had rop/high school courses in coding amd web development.

Software engineering is pure coding. That is were you work with the big boys debugging and creating vurtual environments. Using certain tyoes of languages such as c++, ios language or even sdk android stuff. I habe a buddy that works with big industry giants safeguarding their infrastructure from cyber attacks. He makes bank and travels a lot. Great paying jobs but hard to come buy unless you network.

These are great firlds to get into as technology is only growing and everythingnis becoming automated.

Here is one more tip as i am an electrician and into computers too. If you major in computer sciemce and take a few electronic courses you can become a PLC programmable logic control technician. Everything manufacturing runs on PLC machines. Ive worked alomg side these guys and their job is so easy and they make an outrageous amount of money. Private jet flights around the world just to troubleshoot or program a machine in an hour. All expenses paid!

Just something to think about.

PLC is not hard to learn. Its algebraic function of x and some computer coding. Minor electrical understanding.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Here is one more tip as i am an electrician and into computers too. If you major in computer sciemce and take a few electronic courses you can become a PLC programmable logic control technician. Everything manufacturing runs on PLC machines. Ive worked alomg side these guys and their job is so easy and they make an outrageous amount of money. Private jet flights around the world just to troubleshoot or program a machine in an hour. All expenses paid! /QUOTE]

Now that sounds like a fucking winner. I'm sure those jobs are tough to come by as well, though. Either way, that's definitely something to look at.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I've thought about Management, but it just seems so....vague. What kind of career path would one go down with just a Management degree? Or maybe the generalized nature of Management and the versatility it provides is what makes the degree desirable?

It is precisely the 'vagueness' that gives you options. A highly-focused field works when you have a laser-like view of what you want to do...and if you had such a view, then you wouldn't be asking this question. I majored in Economics, and that was broad enough to open a variety of doors for me: finance, corporate mergers, urban planning, teaching, restaurant/bar management - all of which I've done. With Management, every single company that is hiring could use those skills - and I mean EVERY company.

The real question to ask yourself is this: Do you want a specific career in a specific field? Or do you want to complete bachelor's that will give a you a wide choice of career options. Your goal should drive your major...not the other way around.

BTW, I've been a College Prof for the last 18 years and chair the Business Dept at our school. I've had this discussion hundreds (thousands?) of times. I also noted that you mentioned you were uncomfortable with math - which means that a Computer Sciences or engineering focus could be difficult.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Damn milburn, your new name is professor! I dont have anymore to say but if i ever have questions im going to you.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Teaching CPR/ACLS/PALS/NRP classes can be quite lucrative from what I've heard...gotta be renewed every two years...easy money!