©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Blood Work - Update

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
Hey all,

The past 12+ months have been very interesting to say the least. After suffering a major setback in the form of a shoulder injury late last summer consisting of a torn labrum (cartilage) and fraying of two rotator cuff tendons, I was not at all happy. However, a new addition to our family was to arrive in December and I was excited for that and the down time from training was tolerable in that I'd have a new little one and a healed shoulder. I was determined to rehab it and enjoy my new little girl.

10 days after her birth, I awoke to a painful left foot/ankle which worsened over the next few days. A podiatrist visit and MRI confirmed tendon inflammation and I felt comfortable knowing I'd heal up. About 3 weeks later, I woke feeling horrible. Crushing pain thru my left shoulder blade, difficulty breathing, sweating for two hours. I decided not to wake my family and shortly, you will see why this may have been foolish at best!

Fast forward, springtime. I'm healing the shoulder up, stretching, ROM exercises, the left ankle's a bit better. WHAM! End of April, same thing right ankle. Podiatrist sends me for an ultrasound and discovers a DVT or deep blood clot. I'm hospitalized. They say I HAD one in the left ankle and my episode with pain and breathing now sounds as if I'd suffered a pulmonary embolism which may have cleared up, luckily for me. While in the hospital, prodded, poked, stabbed for blood every 2 hours and hooked to an IV I'm told a cat scan has shown a mass in my left lung. At this point, the hospital food was the least of my worries.

After release, a PET scan is performed and after a LONG weekend, the results come in and I'm negative for cancer. Whew!

After months of blood thinners, I'm now clot free and loving it. I'm back to bodybuilding (even overhead presses!), my diet is spot on. I'm writing this because maybe it will help anyone reading this to understand that everyone, yes EVERYONE around you is dealing with something at the moment (though they may not let on!) and they could use YOUR patience, guidance and understanding whether to lend them a spot on a lift or let them merge into traffic even though you're in a hurry.

I really want to say thanks to many of you folks, admins, etc. for listening and helping me during my struggles, especially Elvia. You my friend are a stand up guy and I'm happy to know you.

So, as I sit here at my computer typing this, eating my chicken breast, salad and avocado, I can only look forward to my evening cardio and training tomorrow morning while everyone else sleeps. Everyone except for you guys, of course!

TGR

Last edited:

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Really good to hear you are doing well... I am made up for you. My shoulder is not good but nothing compared to you. I am glad you have overcome all those minor setbacks and your on the road to recovery. So happy for you in regards to your new addition to the family. I hope everything gets beter and beter through time. Although it's the hard times/drawbacks we learn most from.

I started using alittle deca a few weeks ago and my shoulder is so much better but still have no strength. Tried to warm up my chest with 6kg dumbbell flyes and couldn't lift it with my right side. Wide grip pulldowns are useless too. Shoulder pressing is fine though. I am getting physio on it soon and should be going for a scan as it's been ages and no sign of improvement.

I am glad you are happy with your diet. That sounded like a nice meal. Although chicken breast starts becoming an effort the more you eat it. I lost 20 pounds but didn't like the feel so gradually started upping my cals. Put on 6 pounds in 1 week as I was so depleted. My new cycle should further those gains as will the growing portion sizes and meal numbers.

I will send you a PM soon. Off to work now so in a rush. Speak soon my friend.

Jello

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 17, 2008
That's a lot of shit Bro, glad you seem to be getting past it. Congratulations on the new addition to your family;) Is she your first?

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Really good to hear you are doing well... I am made up for you. My shoulder is not good but nothing compared to you. I am glad you have overcome all those minor setbacks and your on the road to recovery. So happy for you in regards to your new addition to the family. I hope everything gets beter and beter through time. Although it's the hard times/drawbacks we learn most from.

I started using alittle deca a few weeks ago and my shoulder is so much better but still have no strength. Tried to warm up my chest with 6kg dumbbell flyes and couldn't lift it with my right side. Wide grip pulldowns are useless too. Shoulder pressing is fine though. I am getting physio on it soon and should be going for a scan as it's been ages and no sign of improvement.

I am glad you are happy with your diet. That sounded like a nice meal. Although chicken breast starts becoming an effort the more you eat it. I lost 20 pounds but didn't like the feel so gradually started upping my cals. Put on 6 pounds in 1 week as I was so depleted. My new cycle should further those gains as will the growing portion sizes and meal numbers.

I will send you a PM soon. Off to work now so in a rush. Speak soon my friend.

Thanks for the good wishes bro, I know your frustration with the shoulder, and hopefully it's not interfering too much with your day to day activities in addition to the training. I know for me my everyday things like opening a jar were painful with that damned shoulder!! We'll talk rehab and supps for that shoulder in the PMs if you'd like! I've rehabbed TWO nasty shoulder issues without surgery (wife's a massage therapist, so she has 'secrets' LOL). The chicken can be a bit much sometimes, but I try to separate the joy of eating from fueling my body and it's fine for me!

TGR

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
That's a lot of shit Bro, glad you seem to be getting past it. Congratulations on the new addition to your family;) Is she your first?

Was a lot of shit, but I'm only looking at that as a challenge. In the midst of not taking care of myself up until recently, for example, I found I had developed hypertension and was put on meds for that too. Was around 159/95 or so! Bullshit skip, I'm not having that! So, I eliminated EVERYTHING from my diet, gave myself the green light to lift regularly again, cardio several times a week and voila, two weeks later...as of last night it was 110/61! I'll be off the (small) dose of medication by next week. I told my doc I would be and I will be. Period.

Thanks for the wishes and congrats bro! She's our second. We also have a beautiful 4 year old who is absolutely amazing! With two girls, I'm going to have to get a carrying permit soon. "Is your dad home?" "Yeah, he's in the garage cleaning his guns."

:D

TGR

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for the good wishes bro, I know your frustration with the shoulder, and hopefully it's not interfering too much with your day to day activities in addition to the training. I know for me my everyday things like opening a jar were painful with that damned shoulder!! We'll talk rehab and supps for that shoulder in the PMs if you'd like! I've rehabbed TWO nasty shoulder issues without surgery (wife's a massage therapist, so she has 'secrets' LOL). The chicken can be a bit much sometimes, but I try to separate the joy of eating from fueling my body and it's fine for me!

TGR

Good to see your better... that's alot of stuff you have been through recently. Since adding the deca the pain has moreorless disappeared. It would hurt when holding my arms up etc but now I only have problems in the gym. You will have to give me some tips. I think my gf needs to get some lessons fom your wife! She massaged my back last night and now it is abit sore... bare in mind my back was fine beforehand!

I am the same in regards to food. Although most of the food I eat I like lots. But there are times I just have to think of it as fuel and get it down.

Glad to hear about your blood pressure. Mine is high. Not that far from what yours was... I thank tbol for that... and it's friend deca. I will sort that out though. Gonna start doing cardio and some dietary measures and a few supplements. It's already down from last week but of course fluctuates all the time. Highest it's been was about the same as your reading above (last week).

Ironaddict

Apr 20, 2005
In my own world
Bro, Thats a lot of $hit to overcome. Props for staying strong and keeping your spirits high. I like you threw in the that bit about patience and that everyone around you is dealing with something. That's some true $hit! It is time myself for some blood work. Started some HGH and some Sus 2 months ago and my hands are a little painful in the AM and get numb even now while typing. I am hoping the blood pressure is not through the roof. What ever doesn;t break you makes you stronger!!!

jaycutlerfan

Oct 1, 2010
Why do I have too many red blood cells?

I recently had blood work done by my doctor, and at the time, the sample was taken, I had been steroid-free for 5 years.

I was kind of surprized to see that my Red blood cell count was a little high (HCT) and my average red blood cell size was a little too large (MCT).

Also, my mean platlet volume (MPV) was too high.

The internet was not able to provide me with answeres to these questions, nor was my doctor.

I should also note that I don't live at high elevation and I don't use any drugs at all. I'm just your average, healthy, 27-year-old bodybuilder. I don't eat a lot of red meat, and I don't supplement with Iron. I take the normal multi-viatamins, whey protein, creatine, etc.

It's not that I think that there is some kind of health risk I need to worry about, it's just that I'm curious about this.

If someone could answere these questions, I'd appreciate it.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Bro, Thats a lot of $hit to overcome. Props for staying strong and keeping your spirits high. I like you threw in the that bit about patience and that everyone around you is dealing with something. That's some true $hit! It is time myself for some blood work. Started some HGH and some Sus 2 months ago and my hands are a little painful in the AM and get numb even now while typing. I am hoping the blood pressure is not through the roof. What ever doesn;t break you makes you stronger!!!

Thanks man. You can either deal with stuff or you can complain. Nobody likes a whiner! :)

Not sure why you are suffering from the pain in the hands, sorry to hear that, but you should get it checked out.

TGR