©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Exercise cancels out alcohol's effects?

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Bad study, weak conclusion, terrible reporting. Another example of weak science and sensationalized news headlines being broadcast as irrefutable fact that will be used by stupid people to justify their shitty, unhealthy lifestyles.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Bad study, weak conclusion, terrible reporting. Another example of weak science and sensationalized news headlines being broadcast as irrefutable fact that will be used by stupid people to justify their shitty, unhealthy lifestyles.

Justified as FUCK!!!!

Attachments

• life-hack-pretend-to-be-a-loving-parent-to-get-4030841.png
    life-hack-pretend-to-be-a-loving-parent-to-get-4030841.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 30

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
You mad bro? Anyone with any intelligence knows that moderation is the healthiest way to live. What I actually read was. If you are athletic and have a fee drinks don't worry too much. No?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
You mad bro? Anyone with any intelligence knows that moderation is the healthiest way to live. What I actually read was. If you are athletic and have a fee drinks don't worry too much. No?

You're absolutely right. Moderation is key. But that's not how that story is being sold, nor is it how the public at large is going to interpret it. Most people are going to read just the headline and say "Well, science just proved that I can drink as much as I want as long as I exercise a little every week. Hey, I'm thirsty. Guess I'll go drink a 12 pack."

The big issue here is not the study. It's the media taking the study completely out of context, all but ignoring the message of moderation. Not to mention the fact that this is just a compilation study. They didn't do any real research, they just reviewed self-reported data. Self-reported data is inherently unreliable, and many competent researchers have begun to outright reject the conclusions of studies that are based on it.

These types of studies are notorious for being easily manipulated. Good scientists have long understood that if you pool enough statistical information together, you can validate any hypothesis you want. The same sort of compilation studies recently showed that creating causes prostate cancer. Anyone remember that one? The study just came out last summer. Did anyone run to their supplement cabinet and throw all their supps in the trash that contained creations? Doubt it. Anyone remember the study from a few years ago that showed that taking a daily multivitamin causes cancer? Those studies were inherently flawed, just like this one is. With enough badly recorded data, researchers can "prove" anything they want.

And they completely glazed over the part about this being a correlation study. Probably less than 1% of the population understand the difference between correlation and causation. Correlation simply means that there could potentially be some sort of relationship between 2 factors. It doesn't mean that A causes B. Correlation studies are notorious for showing relationships between completely unrelated factors.

According to correlation studies, ice cream causes home break-ins and drownings. Anyone believe these things are actually related? More ice cream is consumed in the summer than any other time of the year. More homes are broken into and more people die of drowning in the summer, too. If someone chooses to ignore the concept of correlation vs causation they might actually believe that if they eat ice cream they're more likely to drown and be a victim of a home invasion.

Just because there is a statistical correlation between 2 data points, doesn't mean that they are even related. It just means that there might possibly be a relationship that needs to be investigated further with actual, quality research. That's all this study is. It's just the suggestion that these 2 things might potentially be related. There's massive amounts of real research that needs to be done before the headlines should read, "Exercise cancels out booze!"

But the reality is that no one reads news stories titled, "Correlation study indicates more research may be needed to determine if significant amounts of daily exercise might help to mitigate long term health risks of moderate alcohol consumption."

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's no relationship between these 2 factors. It's a perfectly reasonable premise that exercise does help mitigate the intake of moderate amounts of alcohol. But, to draw that conclusion based on this weak-sauce "scientific study" is optimistic at best, and completely bullshit at worst.

And I have no problem with alcohol. I like to have a beer with dinner as much as the next guy. My days of binge drinking or even getting drunk are long since over, though. I'm too old for that shit.

Ok, my thumbs are tired. Stepping down off of my soap box. And I'm thirsty. I wonder if I have any cold beer in the fridge?

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
Haha haha. It's like when you here that most accidents happen at home or close by. Because most people spend a lot of time at home.
Did you come up with the ice cream and burglaries on your own?
Your on the money though.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
You need a drink Psych

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I swear I'm not as worked up over this as it probably looks like I am. I didn't get any sleep last night, and I've been exhausted all day. When I'm tired I have a tendency to ramble on ad nauseum about things, sometimes a little incoherently. Looking back over the book I wrote earlier, it does look like I was probably sitting at the keyboard angrily yelling at the screen and pounding on the keys in a psychotic rage, occasionally stopping to wipe off the white foam of rage from around my mouth. But, I assure you, it was nothing of the sort. I was calmly relaxing in my recliner at work, watching ESPN, and doing my best to stay awake.

See, more mindless rambling. I'm going to bed.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I swear I'm not as worked up over this as it probably looks like I am. I didn't get any sleep last night, and I've been exhausted all day. When I'm tired I have a tendency to ramble on ad nauseum about things, sometimes a little incoherently. Looking back over the book I wrote earlier, it does look like I was probably sitting at the keyboard angrily yelling at the screen and pounding on the keys in a psychotic rage, occasionally stopping to wipe off the white foam of rage from around my mouth. But, I assure you, it was nothing of the sort. I was calmly relaxing in my recliner at work, watching ESPN, and doing my best to stay awake.

See, more mindless rambling. I'm going to bed.
:)

Attachments

• 63887084.jpg
    63887084.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
You need a drink Psych

Well I just tore my left fuckin pec AGAIN! I'm 5 bbeers in and 4 shots and feel nothing.....time for night meds. It's hard being this awesome but thank God for Klonopin and Ambien. And my badass cpap machine.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Well I just tore my left fuckin pec AGAIN! I'm 5 bbeers in and 4 shots and feel nothing.....time for night meds. It's hard being this awesome but thank God for Klonopin and Ambien. And my badass cpap machine.

Dude, that fucking sux. Sorry to hear that. How long is it going to be until you have surgery?

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Dude, that fucking sux. Sorry to hear that. How long is it going to be until you have surgery?

I didn't tear at the insertion or origin, i tore in the middle. It's a minor one but i dont think i can bench heavy for awhile.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I didn't tear at the insertion or origin, i tore in the middle. It's a minor one but i dont think i can bench heavy for awhile.

Hit up Magnus. He's got a peptide protocol for healing that works really well.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Hit up Magnus. He's got a peptide protocol for healing that works really well.

Yeah he does! Magnus has always helped me out big time. Thats why we started a thread on it, in the peptide forum. That needs to get a sticky on it.