©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

The 1982 Mr. Olympia

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
I was looking at bodybuilding videos and thought it would be fun to put up some classics! The first one is the 1982 Mr. Olympia. The winner was Chris Dickerson at the age of 43 at a whopping height of 5'6". The grand prize...wait for it...$25,000!! Just a cult sport/freak show, so not much in the way of prize money.

Bodybuilders gave Dorian a lot of grief when he won with some torn muscle groups. Chris Dickerson won this Olympia with a torn right pec, torn left bicep and torn left tricep. All of which are VERY noticeable. It was a very strange win...all those muscle tears, his age, and his height and he still won.

Anyway, I love watching the old videos and seeing the progression of the sport! Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIUgUziGV8

Last edited:

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Most of these guys couldn't get there Pro cards at the nats now. Even Frank wasn't clean for todays standards.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Come on now, don't hate on them. It was a different era...a different place in time. Just part of the evolution of bodybuilding. Those guys inspired a lot of people who went on to become great as bodybuilding kept evolving!

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
BIO, it's not hate. Just calling it the way I see it buddy. I was watching this and wondering what is truly the difference between then and now that's making such huge changes? You can speculate till the dogs come home but I would just like to truly know. Wouldn't you?

Take what Tom P said about gear and run it through. I'm sure they where training their asses off. I would bet money they had figured out that food is the only way to grow. So if your going to buy into Tom Princes quote about gear being next to nothing in the final out come, whats left? Insulin and human grade growth hormone? Is everyone's genetics better than there's were? Training techniques now and then? Or maybe it's huge amounts of gear? But again look at Tom P and the amounts he was doing and he got HUGE on. There's something they figured out that blew the lid off the size game..... I think this could be a great subject to delve into.

Last edited:

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
I know, the word hate was tongue and cheek. I think it's like anything, progress comes in increments. That's like saying why didn't we go straight to a dragster from the Edsel? If someone came in looking like Markus Ruhl in 1982, I don't think they would win, I think they would be seen as a super freak but their physique would be picked apart by those that weren't used to it.

Obviously more drugs, more food and more interest in the sport, meaning more genetically gifted people getting involved/competing.

johnjuanb1

AnaSCI VET
Feb 17, 2014
The detail in Samir’s quads looks amazing compared to the rest in the photo above. I haven’t watched the video yet.

Just watched the top 6. They look great. I think the Classic Physique guys of today are better. They have the tiny waists now to go along with all the muscle..

Last edited:

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
Most of them didn't really have any legs but that was normal for those times. Course the Golden Eagle did, and he is always a top favorite for me.