©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

(HIT) High Intensity Training

DNA

Apr 19, 2014
Hollywood, CA
I agree...the stronger I got the bigger I got...I tried training for the "pump" and got nowhere...we are all different and respond differently to training styles......kvh

I believe training for the pump is effective for building arms. I see a ton of guys curling 40’s and 50’s and doing heavy ass barbel curls. Yet, their arms are very unimpressive. Dorians arms were horrible in my opinion. So was Dave Palumbos arms who trained in a modified HIT program. My arms were stuck at 19 for several years training them heavy and hard. I switched to a high volume approach and focused on getting as much blood in them as possible. Within a year my arms were 20 3/4 cold. A few years ago I met Michael Ergas at Golds Hollywood. He was impressed with my arm development and I was impressed at his leg development. So we trained arms and legs together for about a year. He brought his arms up at age 46 using the volume blood pumping method. And my legs grew to new proportions doing his maniacal 100 rep sets on leg extensions and leg press! He’s fucking nuts! He also made me do 50 rep barbel squat sets and hack squats. I’ve never had to endure so much pain and burning before. I use to get anxiety before our leg workouts because I knew I was in for a fucking torture session! Good times!

johnjuanb1

AnaSCI VET
Feb 17, 2014
It all depends on the person but once the body starts accumulating injuries, it's probably better to move to the volume side and not just maximum weight. If I had a time machine! LOL!!

I have no problem discussing gear at all but it's always the focal point. ANYBODY can take 5 grams, 10 grams, 20 grams, whatever you can afford, ANYBODY can do that...there's nothing special about that BUT how many people can train with the intensity that Platz and Dorian trained with? How many people can eat the amount of food it takes, 7+ times a day? A lot of people think they do but they don't!

When I started working out in the 80's, gear was discussed but most people were training like animals. It was a different era and the gyms were very different than they are now. Things have changed and fitness has taken over...abs throughout the year are over rated...hahahaha! Training and food have to be dialed in to get the most out of any cycle. Like Tom Platz said, when you think there's nothing left, you have 5 more reps and when those five are done, there's still five more! Try training like that...it takes a lot of will power to put yourself through that kind of pain!!

Man, i so wish i had a time machine too Bio!
When i was young i aiways lifted as heavy as i could. I miss having a young body. I used to load up the leg press and have a hot girl sit on top to look bad-ass for the lurkers. Now i put 3 plates on each side of the leg press and pray my knees or hamstrings don’t snap.
The same goes for super high doses of AAS. More is better! If a pro does 3 grams then I’ll do 4 grams. I remember in 1995 when insulin first came on the bodybuilding scene. I read the pros did 40ius a day, 20ius humalog R and 20ius humalog N. Dumbass me thought, hey, I’ll double what the pros do so i can turn pro faster. I did 80ius a day all through my first contest prep. I passed out once and was driving like a severely drunk person on the freeway another time because i kept going in and out of consciousness.
I never feared death. The thing is, little did i realize it’s not death that you should fear, it’s the chronic pain you end up in as you get older.
I would do everything differently if i could go back; smarter training, smarter dieting, and smarter AAS use.

docholiday08

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Would this still be relevant when trying to put new muscle on around the joints? Or would you still recommend doing around 6-12 reps when starting out building?

*edit* when I say putting muscle around the joints I mean building your base muscles up first so that you don't injure.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Would this still be relevant when trying to put new muscle on around the joints? Or would you still recommend doing around 6-12 reps when starting out building?

*edit* when I say putting muscle around the joints I mean building your base muscles up first so that you don't injure.

Not sure what you mean? You can never avoid some kind of injury if you've been lifting long enough...it's all wear and tear!