©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Health foods worth mentioning

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
More obvious ones but got to add these to the list...

Avocado and Avocado Oil
Macadamia Nuts and Oil
Kefir
Kale
Blackberries
Pomegranate
Seaweed
Ginger Root
Saffron
Turmeric (Curcumin)

I have been trying to eat better. I do ok but could do better. Great suggestions in this thread. I see you post a lot about fruit so added more in and it made a big difference. I enjoy my berries in my oats of a morning. I also increased my good fats and it helps reduce my crazy appetite over the day.

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I have been trying to eat better. I do ok but could do better. Great suggestions in this thread. I see you post a lot about fruit so added more in and it made a big difference. I enjoy my berries in my oats of a morning. I also increased my good fats and it helps reduce my crazy appetite over the day.

That's great to know. I am happy it's made a difference. Even just adding in the berries through teh day can make a big difference. Then teh good fats just help with so many things.

An update on how I approach things these days... I tend to eat the same things through most of the year. When cutting I obviously take away certain things but still try to keep in low carb berries and some good fats.

I am big on mixed nuts especially walnuts, macadamia's, brazil nuts and cashews. I try to have 1 avocado per day at certain times of the year. I also try to include various greens and vegetables. I also have fruit and green powders as well. I have eaten a variety of fruit my whole life and try to have berries every single day. My favs are blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. As a treat (healthy in moderation) I like 82-90% dark chocolate as well. I also have an array of spices in my foods everyday but that's mainly for taste. My supps top everything off so I cover all bases.

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
More obvious ones but got to add these to the list...

Avocado and Avocado Oil
Macadamia Nuts and Oil
Kefir
Kale
Blackberries
Pomegranate
Seaweed
Ginger Root
Saffron
Turmeric (Curcumin)

I am always trying to improve my health so I love threads like this. I just started cooking with turmeric and I also use a curcumin supp. Please keep adding to the list.

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
I have mentioned this in the past and they seem to be getting very popular but I want to go over mushrooms. I usually cook them with some onions, peppers and various other veg to go with my meat. Although there are some powdered that are very concentrated and can be very beneficial. Many may have seen mushroom powder starting to get added into various pre workoutds and there is good reason for that. They often go with a blend and they can have significant cognitive benefits. The focus alone from mushroom powder can be great. So if any of you suffer from faitgue or just need a boost I would recommend trying mushroom powder.

If I had to pick a mushroom variety for energy/focus it would probably be Cordyceps but most of them are great. Lion's mate gets mentioned quite a lot as well. I have just started using Reishi mushroom powder and you feel the boost from that instantly. The only issue with reishi is it's extremely bitter and tastes horrible. I would recommend having it with a small amount of water or even in a shot of espresso for a great boost in energy. On top of the energy they are really good for overall immunity and have the potential to help with blood glucose regulation amongst other things.

Finephysique

Jul 6, 2017
Does adding turmeric spice to your food get sufficient quantities in for anti inflammatory purposes or do you really need a curcumin supplement?

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
Does adding turmeric spice to your food get sufficient quantities in for anti inflammatory purposes or do you really need a curcumin supplement?

Sorry I have just noticed this. It will help but no you need the active form and ideally to supplement with curcumin. Even with curcumin the absorption can vary massively and they are not all made equally. I would go with a big brand such as Life Extension but they are expensive.

manimal78

Aug 25, 2018
I swear by:
beetroot (for bloodflow/pump)
turmeric (better inflammation response, general health)
apple cider vinegar (cleanser, blood sugar control)