©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

been testing glute injections, getting ready

mr.nitrofish

May 5, 2005
well I have a bunch of 1/2" 28 gauge pins around for insulan for my diabetic cat. anyway I decided to poke myself with a new one just to see what I could expect. well it wasn't so bad, virtually painless. I sure hope I got the balls to do a 1 1/2" 22 gauge.

one question? should I peirce quick like a dart or slow and steady? does all 1 1/2" need to be in or just most of it?

im not looking forward to this, but no pain, no gain right

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
mr.nitrofish said:
well I have a bunch of 1/2" 28 gauge pins around for insulan for my diabetic cat. anyway I decided to poke myself with a new one just to see what I could expect. well it wasn't so bad, virtually painless. I sure hope I got the balls to do a 1 1/2" 22 gauge.

one question? should I peirce quick like a dart or slow and steady? does all 1 1/2" need to be in or just most of it?

You'll want to go in fairly slow so that you are able to stop and pull out in the event that you hit something such as a nerve or a bone.

To answer your second question - you don't want to bury the entire pin all the way up to the plastic coupling - you just want to get close to it. Leave 1/16" - 1/8" of the pin sticking out while injecting.

When injecting glutes, you can completely stabilize your hand and arm (eliminate the shakes) by doing this:

-while standing, back up near a wall
-twist your body slightly
-rest your injecting hand and forearm lightly against the wall
-make sure your leg and glute are relaxed and your weight is resting on the opposite leg
-hold the pin in the "ready" position
-slowly push your glute back into the pin, penetrating and then reaching the desired depth
-inject the meds with your plunger-finger resting against the wall
-pull your glute off and away from the pin

mojo

Feb 1, 2005
injecting in the shoulder, quad, bi, tri, etc. you only need to go in about an inch (unless you have a lot of bf) but in the cheek I would go with the 1.5 inch most of the way to get through the fat.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
mr.nitrofish said:
well it wasn't so bad, virtually painless. I sure hope I got the balls to do a 1 1/2" 22 gauge.

Try and get some 23 gauge if you can. I've done smaller number gauge sizes (remember smaller the number bigger the pin) and those tend to sting a little bit more while injecting. I use 25g now but i shoot in my quads.

KILLA

Banned
Feb 25, 2005
mr.nitrofish said:

I use 22g and they are fine for me. I just go slow when inserting, while darting very lightly. It will feel like it is jammed up, but after a few light jabs, it will continue on.

HigherStandard

Aug 26, 2004
I use 25 gauge in the quads now also. It feels the same as the 23 to me but it makes me feel better knowing that its a smaller pin. Its all psychological.

P

pincrusher

pin size will also have a little to do with the maker of your products. some manufacturers use slightly thicker oils which are harder to push through smaller sized pinz. i always try the smallest size i can comfortably get to flow without to much restriction because the harder i have to push on the plunger to get it to start flowing, the more likely it will be that i move the pin around while it is stuck in my body, which will cause the site to hurt more when im done.